Possible to Swith Singel Router?

skanps

Reaction score
Hi, I'm a tech idiot so pardon me if my question sound stupid.

I'm a Singtel fibre broadband user. Currenly using the supplied Aztech FG7003GRV router. However, I find this router offer a very limited range and wifi signal very week despite my home is less than 150sqm. I'm read good thing about Asus AC88U with excellent range that can cover easily a 300sqm house.

My question is, can I simply swap out the FG7003GRV and change it to the Asus AC88U? Ie, can I unplug the cable from the fibre optics box to the FG7003GRV and then simply replug it to the Asus AC88U (of course do some settings) and it'll work?

I'm asking cause I was told it is not as simply as that. I was told that the FG7003GRV is a "modem cum router", while the AC88U is just a "router". Therefore if I buy the AC88U, instead of swapping it with FG7003GRV, I have to pull out a ethernet cable from the FG7003GRV and plug it to AC88U to make it work cause Singtel recognise the FG7003GRV.

Once again, sorry if my question sounds stupid, and thanks for all reply in advance!

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.