Question about AP

xiaokuang

Reaction score
I have a noob question to ask. If I set a router as an access point, can I still use the the router ethernet output for LAN connection?

I am thinking of buying Asus rt-ac88u, but it is like a waste to put into the db box in new bto. Hence I'm thinking of below connection

ONT -> singtel router (turn of wifi) -> ac88u (AP in living room) -> mio tv, ps4, maybe tv??, wifi

If wifi connection not strong to penetrate all rooms, I may get a second router and put in the furthest room as AP as well.

Sent from Samsung SM-G920I using GAGT

kzonexx

Reaction score
I have a noob question to ask. If I set a router as an access point, can I still use the the router ethernet output for LAN connection?

I am thinking of buying Asus rt-ac88u, but it is like a waste to put into the db box in new bto. Hence I'm thinking of below connection

ONT -> singtel router (turn of wifi) -> ac88u (AP in living room) -> mio tv, ps4, maybe tv??, wifi

If wifi connection not strong to penetrate all rooms, I may get a second router and put in the furthest room as AP as well.

Sent from Samsung SM-G920I using GAGT

instead of AC88U, do consider the wifi mesh also bro. U can add on additional pieces to extend wifi coverage & reach any blind spots. And its better at managing the wifi connections as u move fm 1 node to another all within 1 network vs multiple networks if using AP

xonix

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
instead of AC88U, do consider the wifi mesh also bro. U can add on additional pieces to extend wifi coverage & reach any blind spots. And its better at managing the wifi connections as u move fm 1 node to another all within 1 network vs multiple networks if using AP

Seems like TS has got data points in his BTO flat. If that's the case, why waste time going for Wi-Fi mesh ?

kzonexx

Reaction score
Seems like TS has got data points in his BTO flat. If that's the case, why waste time going for Wi-Fi mesh ?

Data points r for wired connection.TS is considering getting Asus RT-AC88U plus AP for wireless. I'm suggesting to have a look and consider the WiFi mesh as well

boonkang

Reaction score
Data points r for wired connection.TS is considering getting Asus RT-AC88U plus AP for wireless. I'm suggesting to have a look and consider the WiFi mesh as well

What do you mean by "Data points r for wired connection." ??
Do you (even) know what is a wireless AP (access point)?

TS wants to use the RT-AC88U as a wireless AP (access point) to support wireless devices -- likely because TS thinks the RT-AC88U's wireless has better performance than the Singtel router's wireless.

At the same time, TS also wants to connect WIRED devices to the RT-AC88U.

If there are network data points in every room (including the living room), ALL the more reason NO NEED WiFi mesh.

You can connect almost ANY wireless router -- by lan cable to a room's network data point -- configure the wireless router to act as a wireless AP & you'll have FULL BAR wireless available in that particular room.

Using a wireless AP connected by LAN cable to a network data point in a room -- gives MUCH MUCH better WiFi throughput/performance within that room than any WiFi mesh.

Plus, most home based wireless routers has 4 lan ports (the RT-AC88U has 8 lan ports); even when a wireless router is used as a AP, it can still support BOTH wired & wireless devices at the same time.

Why bother with WiFi mesh -- if PRECISELY there are ALREADY available network data points (in every room) that you can connect & setup wireless APs?

Moreover, using Singtel's WiFi mesh means ADDITIONAL monthly cost, see this post:
http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/103304748-post33.html

TS already has the RT-AC88U; if by configuring the RT-AC88U as a wireless AP is sufficient to meet TS' requirements, then there is ZERO additional cost for TS.

Last edited:

renfred89

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
What do you mean by "Data points r for wired connection." ??
Do you (even) know what is a wireless AP (access point)?

TS wants to use the RT-AC88U as a wireless AP (access point) to support wireless devices -- likely because TS thinks the RT-AC88U's wireless has better performance than the Singtel router's wireless.

At the same time, TS also wants to connect WIRED devices to the RT-AC88U.

If there are network data points in every room (including the living room), ALL the more reason NO NEED WiFi mesh.

You can connect almost ANY wireless router -- by lan cable to a room's network data point -- configure the wireless router to act as a wireless AP & you'll have FULL BAR wireless available in that particular room.

Using a wireless AP connected by LAN cable to a network data point in a room -- gives MUCH MUCH better WiFi throughput/performance within that room than any WiFi mesh.

Plus, most home based wireless routers has 4 lan ports (the RT-AC88U has 8 lan ports); even when a wireless router is used as a AP, it can still support BOTH wired & wireless devices at the same time.

Why bother with WiFi mesh -- if PRECISELY there are ALREADY available network data points (in every room) that you can connect & setup wireless APs?

Moreover, using Singtel's WiFi mesh means ADDITIONAL monthly cost, see this post:
http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/103304748-post33.html

TS already has the RT-AC88U; if by configuring the RT-AC88U as a wireless AP is sufficient to meet TS' requirements, then there is ZERO additional cost for TS.

Wifi mesh allows users to roam from one node to another without the need of changing SSID. Convenience is what the technology has to offer. You can put 2 access points or more in a house, but you'll gonna face seconds of down time when you change location. Moreover, wifi mesh allows the phone to select the stronger signal from a nearer node, which an access point is not capable of doing so. Sure enough, some brands will have roaming assistant whcib functions similarly to mesh, but u have to get a compatible router working in routing mode before roaming assistant can work on its subsidiary access point.

Whether mesh or access point, it's up to an user to decide, I don't see why you are pushing so people offering alternative solutions so hard. :D

kzonexx

Reaction score
thanks renfred89 for explaining further.

boonkang, read TS post 1st... he said "I am thinking of buying Asus rt-ac88u". U wrongly assume without reading that he already has the AC88U. I'm suggesting he consider an alternative solution which in my opinion is a much superior solution at a LOWER COST.

boonkang

Reaction score
Wifi mesh allows users to roam from one node to another without the need of changing SSID. Convenience is what the technology has to offer. You can put 2 access points or more in a house, but you'll gonna face seconds of down time when you change location. Moreover, wifi mesh allows the phone to select the stronger signal from a nearer node, which an access point is not capable of doing so. Sure enough, some brands will have roaming assistant whcib functions similarly to mesh, but u have to get a compatible router working in routing mode before roaming assistant can work on its subsidiary access point.

Whether mesh or access point, it's up to an user to decide, I don't see why you are pushing so people offering alternative solutions so hard. :D

I apologise first -- if it's deemed that I sound strong/harsh in my previous post.

You put a smile on my face by declaring that a small delay/downtime in switching from one wireless AP to another wireless AP is a problem :)

Sorry, hate to tell you this:

FYI, even for WiFi Mesh, there is NO ABSOLUTE GUARANTEE that there will (definitely) never have any small delay/downtime when devices move about/change location in any WiFi Mesh setup.

Just like any other device/router we buy/use -- don't assume the WiFi Mesh is perfect.

Well...I think most of us have encountered small delay/downtime (many times) before when using Internet while travelling on the MRT, yes?

Since if that's a problem...

Maybe we should all completely not use the Internet at all -- then we'll all not encounter such small delay/downtime problem -- regardless whether at home or outside on the MRT :)

Yes, I agree with you -- people have the right to choose whatever option they wish.

If my previous post is considered useless -- just ignore it then :)

I apologise AGAIN -- if it's deemed that I sound strong/harsh in my previous post. Thanks.

renfred89

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I apologise first -- if it's deemed that I sound strong/harsh in my previous post.

You put a smile on my face by declaring that a small delay/downtime in switching from one wireless AP to another wireless AP is a problem :)

Sorry, hate to tell you this:

FYI, even for WiFi Mesh, there is NO ABSOLUTE GUARANTEE that there will (definitely) never have any small delay/downtime when devices move about/change location in any WiFi Mesh setup.

Just like any other device/router we buy/use -- don't assume the WiFi Mesh is perfect.

Well...I think most of us have encountered small delay/downtime (many times) before when using Internet while travelling on the MRT, yes?

Since if that's a problem...

Maybe we should all completely not use the Internet at all -- then we'll all not encounter such small delay/downtime problem -- regardless whether at home or outside on the MRT :)

Yes, I agree with you -- people have the right to choose whatever option they wish.

If my previous post is considered useless -- just ignore it then :)

I apologise AGAIN -- if it's deemed that I sound strong/harsh in my previous post. Thanks.

I'm confused by your emotions on your post. :D

Anyway, I already mentioned umpteenth times on the backhaul for wifi mesh. It's not perfect, but it's definitely better than having repeaters.

There are also many mesh brands out there and each of them have their flaws to discuss. So I believe once a good brand is chosen, and deployed in appropriate environment, it's far better than using repeaters or access points in the same environment.

I would have gone for the mesh from singtel if my house in big enough. Too bad my ac5300 covers the rooms well and yes my toilet got no wifi, there's not an issue to me. :D:D

kzonexx

Reaction score
Too bad my ac5300 covers the rooms well and yes my toilet got no wifi, there's not an issue to me. :D:D

haha bro... dats 1 of the reason I get the Airties lol. very impt to be be occupied while waiting for delivery in there

xiaokuang

Reaction score
Lol chill guys.. Haven been checking back since I know the lan ports can be used, hence dint know of so discussion.

Thank you very much for giving me more options, but then again, I may need to lan ports in the living room for ps4, mio tv and maybe android box, hence I may bite the bullet and splash on the ac88u also becos of its better wireless in hope to be like renfred, one wireless router for whole house. Also I think ac88u can last for a while more ba (future proof).

Also having a addition router, I have more options of either putting the asus in the DB box and have singtel router (AC1900) as a AP in my MBR,

2) Singtel router in the DB box with wireless off/on, Asus as AP in living room / MBR. Just the trouble of switching Wireless but should be quite easy ba.

Comex coming...

Knightoftheblackrose

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

ZrE0_Cha0s

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.