HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Router & Access Point weird issue with internet speed

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-09-2017, 02:59 PM   #1

Router & Access Point weird issue with internet speed

Hi everyone,

I would like to kindly seek your vast and all powerful knowledge in regards to a weird issue I have with my internet speed.

Firstly, the internet plan that I have signed up with a year ago is with myrepublic and it is a 1GB/s plan.

How my house is set up is basically, due to the optical terminal point being in the living room, I do not have a choice and have to place the Main router in the living room.

However, the rooms in the house also have Cat6 ethernet cables running to it.

My equipment is as follows;

Main router: Asus RT-AC5300
Access Point in my room: Asus RT-AC88U (AP Mode)

Because there is a wifi signal issue in my room due to the 2 concrete walls between the room and the router and because I have a few mobile devices in my room which require wi fi, I got another router and changed the settings to Access Point Mode (AP) and connected that access point to the cat 6 wire in the wall which is connected to my main router in the hall.

For the access point, as per instructions, I connected the Cat6 wire into the WAN port and then another wire to the other LAN ports which connects to my computer.

At first all was fine and I got the full download and upload speeds.

However, when I either switch off my computer or leave it there and then I do a speed test a little later the download speed and upload speed will drop to 90Mb/s.

However, this speed problem can be solved when I disconnect and connect again the cable connecting to from my wall to the AP or changing the mode to either bridge mode and back to AP mode or restarting the AP (switch off then on).

After doing any of those steps, my speed will just jump all the way back to 1GB/s download speed and the max upload speed.

At times this remedy can last a week before the same issue comes up and I have to remedy it, otherwise it might last an hour and again I gotta remedy it using the same above methods.

Whereas, if I just connect my computer to the Cat6 cable in the wall which connects directly to the router, there is no such issues.

As such, apologies for such a long post, but I am really confused as to why is there such an issue and kindly seek everyone's assistance on this.

If you have further inquiries as to the setup, just feel free to ask.

Thank You very much in advance for any advice.
lucien1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 03:54 PM   #2

I believe AP shld b connected to one of the LAN ports not wan port. Try n c if it helps.
moron+genius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 04:08 PM   #3
Arch-Supremacy Member

Not all APs will connect to lan port.

For ac88u in ap mode, the correct way of connecting the router to it is via WAN.

I believe AP shld b connected to one of the LAN ports not wan port. Try n c if it helps.
renfred89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 04:09 PM   #4
Arch-Supremacy Member

Sounds very much like a cable issue. Try changing the cable which connects the AP to the router or the cable that connects the pc to the ap..
renfred89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 06:26 PM   #5

Have you use the phone to do the speedtest to ruled out on lan cable issue.
If ruled out the next is to connect to another Router LAN Port to test.
Leave the lan cable from data point to Router WAN Port.
Should everything failed you should check if there is a latest firmware available.

Edit:
Worse case is to get a powered hub (cost $45).

My connections:
Data point ->> power hub ->> Router / computers.

Last edited by eric3743; 11-09-2017 at 06:37 PM..
eric3743 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 06:30 PM   #6

As for wireless signal issue on the walls, do consider to connect to 2.4 GHz band instead.
This is ideal for walls and far distance.
For 5 GHz is more suitable for direct and short distance.
eric3743 is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.