Singtel Wifi Mesh

jamboree

Reaction score
What is Singtel Wifi Mesh?
Is it the same as installing home plugs in your flat?
Has anybody tried the Singtel Wifi Mesh option?

renfred89

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Singtel wifi mesh allows you to widen your wifi coverage with one SSID in one household, and that your device will be steered from one node to another without disconnection. In time to come, singtel wifi mesh will have a new firmware update to allow ethernet backhaul, so that your wifi speed is not compromised as in current algorithm.

ykgoh

Master Member
Reaction score
This "wifi mesh" technology sounds like wireless repeaters. Perhaps they are just pre-configured wifi repeaters for customers?

Repeaters do exactly the same thing. Share the same SSID and password, wireless devices would seamlessly connect to the nearest repeater with strongest signal.

Perhaps some networking experts here can share some insights.

renfred89

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
This "wifi mesh" technology sounds like wireless repeaters. Perhaps they are just pre-configured wifi repeaters for customers?

Repeaters do exactly the same thing. Share the same SSID and password, wireless devices would seamlessly connect to the nearest repeater with strongest signal.

Perhaps some networking experts here can share some insights.

Wifi mesh is not wireless repeater. Each wireless repeater comes with 1 SSID. If you say you gonna put the same SSID for more than 1 repeater, then your device will be confused if one RSSI is weaker or stronger. Moreover, repeaters have a huge wireless backhaul nearky half its wireless ability each time it hops.

Wifi mesh is therefore able to extend coverage with lower wireless backhaul, comes in a pair of nodes per package and is capable of connecting more nodes together to form a large "net" of wireless coverage. You just need 1 SSID and when u move about, the nearest node to you will take over the service by handing the clients seamlessly across the nodes with no drop in connectivity.

Moreover, which repeater can broadcast the dual bands simultaneously? Singtel wifi mesh, made by AirTies is capable of broadcasting both 2.4 and 5ghz concurrently.

Wireless repeaters, usually less than 100 dollars and you can get it at as low as 39 dollars. Wifi mesh however, is never sold on such a low price. Look at eero, selling at 600+ when converted to sgd..

Last edited:

Singtel

Featured Sponsor
Reaction score
Hi jamboree,

WiFi Mesh is a device that helps to extend Wifi network within the home. The benefits include:

(1) Extend Wifi connectivity without needing additional wiring
(2) Stay connected easily – when you move within your home, your deivces will automatically connect to the Wifi mesh nodes (access point) that has the strongest signal (AP steering)
(3) Get faster speeds – by directing your device to connect to the least congested band network (Band Steering)
(4) The more mesh nodes you get, the more reliable your home is, as nodes constantly communicate with each other to find the strongest signal to stream your data and videos.

You can purchase the WiFi Mesh devices with monthly installment (24 months) of $10. All WiFi Mesh units come with a 24-month warranty.

If you're interested to purchase the WiFi Mesh devices, you can do so at any Singtel Retail Shop or Exclusive Retailers.

For more information on WiFi Mesh, do check out the link below:
http://www1.singtel.com/personal/wifi-mesh/faq.html

Last edited:

WWE_Fan

Reaction score
I tested it at home and at office. The range is pretty wide. Easy to setup.

syncmos

Reaction score
I tested it at home and at office. The range is pretty wide. Easy to setup.

Hi, you mention the range is pretty wide. Did you get full bar or just 1 or 2 bars ? How about the speed connecting for download and surfing nets?

syncmos

Reaction score
Just curious, did you guys turn off your router or wifi mesh when sleep ? if on it 24/7, will it spoil easy?

wifi mesh must connect to the router which already has wireless. So now I got one wireless from router and the other from wifi mesh. Do I need to turn off the router wireless ? if not will it affect my wifi mesh connection speed or anything since it side by side to the router?

Last edited:

renfred89

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Just curious, did you guys turn off your router or wifi mesh when sleep ? if on it 24/7, will it spoil easy?

wifi mesh must connect to the router which already has wireless. So now I got one wireless from router and the other from wifi mesh. Do I need to turn off the router wireless ? if not will it affect my wifi mesh connection speed or anything since it side by side to the router?

wireless feature on router needs to be turned off as the first node is likely near your router. However, it really depends on your set up.

Do note that the SSID for your wireless router and wifi mesh must not be the same, or else it confuses your phone and your wireless performance simply compromises.

syncmos

Reaction score
wireless feature on router needs to be turned off as the first node is likely near your router. However, it really depends on your set up.

Do note that the SSID for your wireless router and wifi mesh must not be the same, or else it confuses your phone and your wireless performance simply compromises.

I only use wifi mesh wifi. router wifi i did not use it. so i must turn off router wifi? if dont turn off will it affect my speed etc?

swgj86

Master Member
Reaction score
I only use wifi mesh wifi. router wifi i did not use it. so i must turn off router wifi? if dont turn off will it affect my speed etc?
both also turned on. the wifi mesh nodes just extend coverage.

syncmos

Reaction score
did a test again last night. router wifi still turning on. result as follow

ping 1ms
download 153
upload 195

how the speed? consider fast? by the way iam on 300mbps plan, singtel

kzonexx

Reaction score
Yeah,this is much better. As long as around 100mbps I'm satisfied.

Btw, I tried switching off the WiFi of the Singtel supplied router... I get better speed on the WiFi mesh so I will keep it off.

syncmos

Reaction score

Btw, I tried switching off the WiFi of the Singtel supplied router... I get better speed on the WiFi mesh so I will keep it off.

What your test result? router wifi off better result? I shall switch mine off too. How to switch off ?

renfred89

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
What your test result? router wifi off better result? I shall switch mine off too. How to switch off ?

turning off the wireless at router will ensure minimal interference with the wifi mesh signal, thats why you will have a better speed when its off.

to turn off the wireless on your router, log on to 192.168.1.254 and navigate to the wifi menu on your respective router's webUI.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.