HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Some considerations for selecting the right WiFi device for your wireless network

Like Tree757Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 20-02-2003, 11:56 AM   #31

Originally posted by dereth
Erm... Dan...

Do you have any recommendations for USB ROUTERS? Preferably Wireless.
hi dereth,

only heard of the Draytek model but it is not wireless, just a 4 port wired router. and for the price of $270, you will be better off buying an ethernet modem at $160 + a wired router for $100.

have not heard of any USB wireless router, guess even if there is, it is unlikely to be cost effective.
newkidontheblock likes this.
wirelessdan2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2003, 11:03 PM   #32

Hi wirelessdan2002

Newbie questions here. I intend to try wireless. Need to your kind recommendations please.

Living in 4-rooms HDB flat
Magix PremiumSurf (ATM) using Alcatel Speed Touch Pro
1 laptop at master-bed room, WINXP Home
1 desktop pc at another room, WINXP Pro (2 walls blocking - 19ft apart)

I intend to get rid of Alcatel STP. What is your recommendation?

Thanks!
Vladimir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2003, 12:24 AM   #33

Originally posted by Vladimir
Hi wirelessdan2002

Newbie questions here. I intend to try wireless. Need to your kind recommendations please.

Thanks!
hi,

not too sure what do you mean by getting rid of the Alcatel STP? as i thought it is an ethernet modem which is suitable to work with a router/access point? or do you mean you want to switch over to the ADSL service?

anyway your setup should be quite a simple 1 without much hassle.

if the modem and point can be at the same room with the desktop, you can install a wireless router costing from $180 onwards (must be able to support PPPoA used by Magix). the desktop will connect to the router by cable, and the laptop by wireless, which need a PCMCIA wireless card form $79 onwards. 19 feet and 2 walls should not be a problem for your laptop to have a good link.

if the modem and point have to be somewhere else, then you will need to get an USB wireless adapter for the desktop, from $100 onwards.

hope this helps, regards.

Last edited by wirelessdan2002; 21-02-2003 at 02:34 AM..
Old 21-02-2003, 11:48 AM   #34
Supremacy Member

Thanks for the advice Dan.
I was asking on behalf of a friend.

Oh yah btw... if Vlad's using still using PremiumSurf and wants to get rid of the STP I think the right protocol to support is CIPoA since it's ATM.
Old 21-02-2003, 12:52 PM   #35

Oh yah btw... if Vlad's using still using PremiumSurf and wants to get rid of the STP I think the right protocol to support is CIPoA since it's ATM.
you are wlecome dereth.

oh thought for Magix is PPPoA, thanks for your information too.

so you have resolved your DWL-900AP+'s problem?
Old 22-02-2003, 03:04 AM   #36
Banned

woah man..how u guys know so much abt this stuff? working in this line? anyway, i have a problem and hope u guys could help me out...

recently, my fren decided to wired up her 3 storey terrace house so her dad and brother could share their broadband....how would u guys suggest she do it? could u recommend the specific hardwares she would have to get?

thks for the help in advance...
asd78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2003, 05:46 AM   #37
Master Member

Originally posted by Vladimir
Hi wirelessdan2002

Thanks!
Hmm ... sorry to barge in .... but getting rid of your speedtouch pro ?!?!..

If you have read through Azacamis's forums, you'll find that you're able to set the STP in DMZ mode, thus getting the Linksys Wireless router with 4 Port switch (forgot the model =p ) would work for you.

This setup is being used by a friend on ATM Magix currently.
Old 22-02-2003, 08:04 AM   #38

Originally posted by asd78

woah man..how u guys know so much abt this stuff? working in this line? anyway, i have a problem and hope u guys could help me out...

recently, my fren decided to wired up her 3 storey terrace house so her dad and brother could share their broadband....how would u guys suggest she do it? could u recommend the specific hardwares she would have to get?

thks for the help in advance...
you can start by doing a mapping of the intended home networking, i.e. where is the modem point (be it cable or ADSL) at which the wireless router will be placed, where are all the desktops/notebooks PCs. draw a straight line between the PC and the modem point and chart out what is the distance and how many/what type of obstacles walls, floors, reinforced structure, furniture etc.) lie between.

you will need to take the worst case so as to determine how much power you need for the link to be robust, you can compute it yourself based on what i have gathered on top, or just post it here and we can work it out together.

what are needed include a wireless router, wireless client adapter for each PC, and replace the modem if it is not the right type.
Old 22-02-2003, 08:06 AM   #39

Originally posted by dethangel

Hmm ... sorry to barge in .... but getting rid of your speedtouch pro ?!?!..

If you have read through Azacamis's forums, you'll find that you're able to set the STP in DMZ mode, thus getting the Linksys Wireless router with 4 Port switch (forgot the model =p ) would work for you.

This setup is being used by a friend on ATM Magix currently.
agree that STP has lots of potential, and probably Linksys BEFW11S4 wireless router would work perfectly with it.
Old 22-02-2003, 01:39 PM   #40

hi wirelessdan2002,
Thanks 4 the extremely gd inside!
r u in this line of Wireless installation 4 corporate etc.?
any companies hiring such people?
btw, did u get urself certified (CWNA)?
in ur earlier post, u mentioned abt Fullbond giving a high power rating n sensitivity. i m curious if it does provide secure authentication using 802.1x/EAP/Radius like Cisco (34x/35x series) or even Orinoco?
btw, did u own all the products that u tried out, or do they belong 2 ur company? just curious
Thanks!

angscang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2003, 04:34 PM   #41

Originally posted by angscang
hi wirelessdan2002,
Thanks 4 the extremely gd inside!
r u in this line of Wireless installation 4 corporate etc.?
any companies hiring such people?
btw, did u get urself certified (CWNA)?
in ur earlier post, u mentioned abt Fullbond giving a high power rating n sensitivity. i m curious if it does provide secure authentication using 802.1x/EAP/Radius like Cisco (34x/35x series) or even Orinoco?
btw, did u own all the products that u tried out, or do they belong 2 ur company? just curious
Thanks!

not really working for any company but have been providing freelance consultations for some corporate setups.

not Cisco qualified cause too old to study

experienced Cisco qualified professionals are still in good demand, experience and explosure are important, my advice is be prepared to start at lower levels even one is Cisco qualified.

Fulbond's products catering more to SMEs, SOHOs and home users, just like most Taiwanese players eg. Linksys, Dlink etc. Cisco and Proxim-Orinoco are in the different class, EAP/LEAP/PEAP are catering more to enterprises and public hot spots setup which require added security and authentication, not viable for SMEs/SOHOs/home users products.

i do own some of those products i tested, some belong to my business associates/clients.
Old 22-02-2003, 09:15 PM   #42

Originally posted by wirelessdan2002
not really working for any company but have been providing freelance consultations for some corporate setups.
not Cisco qualified cause too old to study
experienced Cisco qualified professionals are still in good demand, experience and explosure are important, my advice is be prepared to start at lower levels even one is Cisco qualified.
Fulbond's products catering more to SMEs, SOHOs and home users, just like most Taiwanese players eg. Linksys, Dlink etc. Cisco and Proxim-Orinoco are in the different class, EAP/LEAP/PEAP are catering more to enterprises and public hot spots setup which require added security and authentication, not viable for SMEs/SOHOs/home users products.
i do own some of those products i tested, some belong to my business associates/clients.
how do u engage them or get the business 2 consult them initially?

CWNA is part of the CWSP certification n is vendor neutral, provided by planet3, it's different fr CCNA, CCIE etc. fr Cisco.

what does start fr lower level means??? :confused:

i m not against Taiwanese products, but some Dlink, LinkSys products or models r known 2 hv security flaws like the revealing of the SSID and WEP using a certain software, as they r using the same prism chipset n provided by the same chip vendor/manufacturer who came out with the software. even WinXP wireless zero config hv a security flaw as shown by a jpn professor.

i think security shouldn't b taken 4 granted, as shown by always-on broadband conn. my FW shows a high sniffing n scanning n even DOS attack on certain occasion.
Cheers!
angscang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2003, 02:11 PM   #43

Thanks for replying wirelessdan2002 & dethangel

There is no such all-in-one wireless equipment?

My STPro 'K' version with the firmware KHDSBA3.281 is not UPNP and is not H.323 compliant. Using netmeeing is a problem. The only way to get around it is to do a NAT pinholing. Thus I thought of changing this hardware.

This is my intended shopping list:
Linksys BEFW11S4 4-port wireless router - $227
Linksys WPC11 PCMCIA adapter - $98

Will keep my STPro for the time being. Btw, what u think about Cisco 827H? Or do u have any good and reliable adsl modem to recommend which will works with Magix ATM?
Vladimir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2003, 03:39 PM   #44

hi wirelessdan.. i am v new to this wireless thingy n need yr advise. i intend to get the linksys W11S4 router and i have 2 PCs. One of them is on the 1st floor n the other on the 2nd. so for the connection, do i need to get 2 pcmcia cards and adapters for each of the PCs? does the pcmcia cards sold come together with the adapters? i am currently using cable for surfing.

Thanks

Last edited by erba28; 23-02-2003 at 03:42 PM..
erba28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2003, 09:33 PM   #45

Originally posted by angscang

how do u engage them or get the business 2 consult them initially?

CWNA is part of the CWSP certification n is vendor neutral, provided by planet3, it's different fr CCNA, CCIE etc. fr Cisco.

what does start fr lower level means??? :confused:

i m not against Taiwanese products, but some Dlink, LinkSys products or models r known 2 hv security flaws like the revealing of the SSID and WEP using a certain software, as they r using the same prism chipset n provided by the same chip vendor/manufacturer who came out with the software. even WinXP wireless zero config hv a security flaw as shown by a jpn professor.

i think security shouldn't b taken 4 granted, as shown by always-on broadband conn. my FW shows a high sniffing n scanning n even DOS attack on certain occasion.
Cheers!
business contacts more through clients networking.

thanks for enlightening about CWNA.

"starting from lower level" advise is more for new entrants into networking line. most networking solution providers are particular about experience on top of qualifications, in order to accumulate experience, one should not be too choosy especially about job titles, also value any chance of hands on opportunity.

heard about flaws in Taiwanese products, but this Jap professor's finding is new to me, anywhere i can get more information? thanks in advance.

agree security should not be taken for granted.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.