HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Some considerations for selecting the right WiFi device for your wireless network

Like Tree757Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-03-2003, 03:28 PM   #61

Question

Anyone used/tested Netgear wireless before? Care to give some advice?

Cheers,
Doulos
newkidontheblock likes this.
doulos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2003, 06:49 PM   #62

Any comments on SMC wireless products, especially those newly launched products?

Thanks !
Asheron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2003, 09:44 PM   #63

not sure about Netgear, have not used 1 before, hope others will give their value added opinions.

always have the impression that the SMC products are not as user friendly as the Linksys, just bought the SMC7401BRA ADSL modem+ router at $155, the cheapest on the market, but the setup is really not that straight forwards as expected, nevertheless once setup it performs really well, love the price.

Last edited by wirelessdan2002; 04-03-2003 at 09:46 PM..
wirelessdan2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2003, 11:24 AM   #64
Master Member

Hey wirelessdan2002,
From your experience, does antenna play a part in the performance of a wireless device? ie. does those with dual antenna better than those with only one?
ngbc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2003, 01:16 PM   #65

Originally posted by ngbc
Hey wirelessdan2002,
From your experience, does antenna play a part in the performance of a wireless device? ie. does those with dual antenna better than those with only one?
yes antennas do play a very important role in the link quality. 1 of the main plus of system wit 2 antennas is the ability to cover different physical o the network. for example in a multi-storey house, you can set 1 of the antennas of the AP to vertical position for the best coverage of clients in the same floor, while the other antenna is set horizontally so that it gives best coverage for clients at 1 floor up, or 1 floor down.
Old 05-03-2003, 10:49 PM   #66

Originally posted by wirelessdan2002
not sure about Netgear, have not used 1 before, hope others will give their value added opinions.

always have the impression that the SMC products are not as user friendly as the Linksys, just bought the SMC7401BRA ADSL modem+ router at $155, the cheapest on the market, but the setup is really not that straight forwards as expected, nevertheless once setup it performs really well, love the price.
I did some searching and found that the spec of Dlink 900AP+ have a speed up to 22 Mbps, 10/100 Mbps Eth port & 256 bit WEP. So wirelessdan2002, snice u use Dlink before, is Dlink coverage better than Fulbond?
doulos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2003, 11:51 PM   #67

Originally posted by doulos

I did some searching and found that the spec of Dlink 900AP+ have a speed up to 22 Mbps, 10/100 Mbps Eth port & 256 bit WEP. So wirelessdan2002, snice u use Dlink before, is Dlink coverage better than Fulbond?
the DWL-900AP+ is quite a competent AP with 15 dbm (33 mw) nominal output, in term of specification it is lower than the Fulbond XI-1250A which gives 20 dbm (100 mw), however at $199 the 900AP+ is the lowest priced AP with the so called 11B+ 22 Mbps capability.

the Dlink 11B+ Air Plus system may not be compatible with the similar system offered by the other manufacturers, eg. the Orinoco Gold range, the Enzer Skyroam Gold range etc. none of these manufacturer claims that their 11B+ is an industrial standard.

have not really tested the 900AP+ with the XI-1250A side by side, but believe that the Fulbond should have slight edge in range, probably by at least 30%. and at its price of 100 mw, it is probably the cheapest AP in term of $/mw.
Old 07-03-2003, 01:46 PM   #68

I'm planning to setup a wireless network in a 5 room hdb flat. I'm looking at 11,22 or 54 Mbps. Below is the plan view of the 5room flat

|-----------------------------
|
| Living room
|
| PC 3 --------
|--------------- |
| | |
|Bedroom 1 | |
| PC 2 /
|---------------/ Kitchen
| PC 1 \ |
|Bedroom 2 \ |
| | |----------
|-------------- | |
|
|
| master bedroom
|
|

I planning to place the wireless router at bedroom1 with pc1 connected to it. PC2 and PC3 with wireless client. Any recommendatation to acheive 100% siganl strength? thanks

Last edited by khtan; 07-03-2003 at 01:48 PM..
khtan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2003, 03:39 PM   #69

Originally posted by khtan
I'm planning to setup a wireless network in a 5 room hdb flat. I'm looking at 11,22 or 54 Mbps. Below is the plan view of the 5room flat

|
| Living room
|
| PC 3 --------
|--------------- |
| | |
|Bedroom 1 | |
| PC 2 /
|---------------/ Kitchen
| PC 1 \ |
|Bedroom 2 \ |
| | |----------
|-------------- | |
|
|
| master bedroom
|
|

I planning to place the wireless router at bedroom1 with pc1 connected to it. PC2 and PC3 with wireless client. Any recommendatation to acheive 100% siganl strength? thanks
first of all if you have read through this thread and my other postings, you should know that in my opinion, there is no point going for the 54 Mbps and also the non-standard 11B+ (22 Mbps) system, 11B's 11 Mbps is more than enough for our home networking need.

next there is no such thing as 100% signal strength, probably what you mean is to get a vey good coverage without loss of link, which is aa more realistics expectation.

looking at the layout of your apartment, there should not be of much problem with most brands and models. so the question now is if you are looking for a more budget combination, or you do not mind paying more for something more upmarket.

as usual my "value for money" combo is the Linksys BEFW11S4 wrieless router at $227, Compex WLU11A USB wireless adapter at $85, Enzer Skyroam Silver PCMCIA card (for notebook if any) at $78.

for $100 more you can get a all Linksys Combo, WUSB11 USB adapter at $125, and WPC11 PCPMCIA card at $98. honestly this combo does not offer you an performance advantage over the "value for money " combo, but many would feel good having a "All Linksys" system.

i assure you that either system will provide you with perfect coverage for your apartment.
Old 08-03-2003, 01:19 AM   #70
Master Member

Point to note also... the linksys wireless router / switch has antennas that are upgradeable if you want better coverage.

IMO, the linksys is quite a good buy for the whole set if you're looking for performance. I've got a friend whom i recently reconfigured the entire wireless network, her house, 3 storeys, is running on that exact router WAP. Performance is above average.
Old 08-03-2003, 05:11 AM   #71

agree with deth that the Linksys BEFW11S4 performs well even in a multi-storey house. incidentally i have just installed a Linksys system in a 4-storey house (3 storey above ground level + 1 basement.)

the challenging part is the SCV point is only at the top floor, and hence the wireless router has to be there too. 2 PCs at the same floor (easiest), 2 PCs 1 floor down (not too bad just 1 floor + 1 wall away from the router/AP)

no PC required at the ground floor living room and kitchen (2 floors down)

the most difficult is the PC at the basement study room, which is 3 floors down. to solve this i have to place the USB wireless adapter (Linksys WUSB11) near the window facing the backyard, and have to set both antennas of the BEFW11S4 (3 floors up in the top floor) to horizontal position, in order to have the antenna coverage extend further downwards (and upwards), with this i managed to achieve better than 35% signal strength and 70% link quality for the WUSB11 serving the study room PC to work at 11 Mbps with 64-bit WEP.

note that when the antennas of the AP are in usual vertical postion, it has the best lateral coverage, for best vertical coverage, the antenna should be set to horizontal position.

after the installation, i decided to hook up the Compex WLU11A to the same PC to compare it against the WUSB11, the result was very close with the WUSB11 having a slight edge to justify its 50% more cost.

also picked up 1 of the neighbours' AP transmission without WEP, guess it could be due to their ignorance, or they have no choice but to disable the WEP in order to get the coverage for the whole house.
Old 08-03-2003, 06:43 PM   #72
Dev

Advice for wireless equipment

Hi wirelessdan2002, hope you can advise for my situation. Thanks in advance.

I'm currently on Singnet 256K Unlimited BB using an Efficient 4060 USB Modem.

I have 2 PCs one with win98SE and the other with win2000 Pro.

I hope to setup a wireless network between these 2 PCs, but I am thinking of switching to Starhub MaxOnline 1500 after the contract ends for SingNet.

Which wireless router or equipment is recommended to support both the Singnet ADSL and Starhub cable modem?

In addition, am I right to say that the wireless USB adapter can be used for both PCs and notebooks? How does it differ from the PCI and PC-card meant intentionally for the respective systems?
Dev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2003, 08:32 PM   #73

Re: Advice for wireless equipment

Originally posted by Dev
Hi wirelessdan2002, hope you can advise for my situation. Thanks in advance.

I'm currently on Singnet 256K Unlimited BB using an Efficient 4060 USB Modem.

I have 2 PCs one with win98SE and the other with win2000 Pro.

I hope to setup a wireless network between these 2 PCs, but I am thinking of switching to Starhub MaxOnline 1500 after the contract ends for SingNet.

Which wireless router or equipment is recommended to support both the Singnet ADSL and Starhub cable modem?

In addition, am I right to say that the wireless USB adapter can be used for both PCs and notebooks? How does it differ from the PCI and PC-card meant intentionally for the respective systems?
first of all almost all wireless routers can't work with USB modem, they can only work with etehrnet modem. therefore if you plan to switch over to cable, no point to get an etehrnet modem costing about $150. i suggested that you find alternative method for your networking for now. here are 2 options:

1. simple wired networking between the 2 PCs for now. 1 of the PCs is configured as the internet gateway/software router, and share the internet connection with the other PC. what you need are 2 NICs (if there is no built-in LAN port) for the 2 PCs, and a crossed ethernet cable linking the 2 PCs. use Windows built-in network setup wizard and internet connection sharing program to configure the network.

2. similar to method 1, but instead of NICs, get 2 USB wireless adapters costing $85 each, and link them up by wireless link. network setup is the same as method 1, using 1 of the PCs as internet gateway/router. the USB adapters can still be used later when you use wireless router after switching over to cable.

both methods require the main PC to be on when the other PC needs to surf. but it should be alright since it is only temporary.

about USB wireless adapter, it is the best solution for desktop PC. PCI adapter has very poor range performance as its antenna is at the back of the CPU, with the CPU casing shielding off most of the radio wave.

for notebook, the best solution is still PCMCIA card, using USB wireless adapter is not as convenient, as the USB adapter will be kind of hanging lose from the notebook.
Old 08-03-2003, 08:45 PM   #74

dan
do you know the dbm output and sensitivty for

(1) Netgear FM114P Firewall / Router / Print Server Wireless Router

(2) Compex USB Wireless Adaptor

I cannot find it on the specs on the individual websites.

Is the dbm data given by the respective vendors accurate actually?

An extra information needed is, what is the warranty given for fulbond wireless routers?

is it comparable to the 5 yrs warranty given by Netgear.

Thank you for taking time to reply.
keith66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2003, 09:32 PM   #75

FM114P is expensive because of the true SPI firewall, which is a good feature and that makes the FM114P $100+ more expensive than the other wireless router. but i should say the natural firewall offered by most routers is adequate for our daily use.

i can't find the RF specifications of most of the Netgear WiFi products. instead Netgear specifies the expected range performance for all the WiFi products, i am a bit concern with what was specified for the FM114P, where the indoor range for 11 Mbps, 5.5 Mbps, 2 Mbps and 1 Mbps are 30 m, 50 m, 70 m and 90 m respectively, which is much lesser than what were specified for the other router and access point, ie. MR314 and ME102, both are expected to provide 53 m, 82 m , 122 m and 152 m respectively for 11 Mbps, 5.5 Mbps, 2 Mbps and 1 Mbps, about 70% more than that of the FM114P. which means that the RF power output of the FM114P is probably 4 to 5 dbm lower than the MR314. remember the indoor range specified is line of sight without obstacles, each brick wall for example will reduce the range by half. you may want to check your networking environment, if it is not too challenging, the FM114P may just be able to do the job. you can read the range specifications of Netgear products by going to the datasheet link for the product's page.

as for Compex WLU11A, i have measured it against the Linksys WUSB11 which has an output of 15 dbm, and its performance is comparable, therefore i believe its output could be around 15 dbm too.

the Fulbond range of products are given 18 months warranty 1 to 1 exchange, nothing close to that of the Netgear, however you may want to read tghe fine print of the Netgear's warranty term.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.