Some considerations for selecting the right WiFi device for your wireless network

wirelessdan2002

Reaction score
lchungwe said:
wat s e maximum range for wireless

if you have the time and patience, you can read the forst few posts of this thread on how range performance is calculated.

if not here is a rough and quick guide:

most IEEE802.11B WiFi products have a line of sight outdoor range between 100 meters to 400 meters, for indoor, range is not the real problem but rather ow many obstacles in between the link, most of them have no problem going through 3 brick walls.

Xperts

Reaction score
Dan,

Can u give me some enlightenments on how those big antennas can do to APs and routers?

Thank you.

wirelessdan2002

Reaction score
Xperts said:
Dan,

Can u give me some enlightenments on how those big antennas can do to APs and routers?

Thank you.

the antenna with gain will increase the link budget, eg. a 6db gain antenna will increase the transmitting power by 6 db (4 times) , or the receiver sensitivity by 6 db.

some directional antenna has gain of more than 10 db to 24 db.

6 db rule: for every 6 db increase in link budget, the range increases by 100%.

Xperts

Reaction score
Thanks!

So does that means that I can share my connection with my neighbours?

wirelessdan2002

Reaction score
Xperts said:
Thanks!

So does that means that I can share my connection with my neighbours?

yes in fact some people are sharing their broadband with their in-laws' flats few hundred meters across the road. :)

Xperts

Reaction score
AT level 5 Media Pro. Saw this antenna by Dlink but i think need some customisation to be done at level 3.

xllms

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
wirelessdan2002 said:

yes in fact some people are sharing their broadband with their in-laws' flats few hundred meters across the road. :)

hey, tats wat i intend to do soon, to link up my office from my home where i can access broadband in my office using home's account since my home is less than one kilometres from my work place!...kekekke

xllms

xllms

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
ColdFusion said:
Dan is a patient guy. :D Thanks man. Learnt alot from him. :)

yup...the best adviser in HWZ by a mile (no offense to anyone)

xllms

wirelessdan2002

Reaction score
xllms said:

hey, tats wat i intend to do soon, to link up my office from my home where i can access broadband in my office using home's account since my home is less than one kilometres from my work place!...kekekke

xllms

haha smart guy, why let the office broadband idle at night?

many folks in Texas are doing so, saw 1 guy installed an 1 foot parabolic at his rooftop to tap his office broadband 2 km away.

Xperts

Reaction score
Yeah Dan is indeed an Expert in Wireless and Networking Stuff. Learnt alot from him.

So Dan, when can i buy u lunch to learn more ?

hehehe :p

Teaken

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
wirelessdan2002:
i'm staying in 3 room flat and moving to bigger flat at the end of the yr.
which is the best combo with a wireless ap and usb client?
a combo of Senao SR2511SR+ power 23 dbm sensitivity -87 dbm and Dlink DWL-120 power 19 dbm sensitivity -84 dbm possible?
budget is ard $350.

wirelessdan2002

Reaction score
Teaken said:
wirelessdan2002:
i'm staying in 3 room flat and moving to bigger flat at the end of the yr.
which is the best combo with a wireless ap and usb client?
a combo of Senao SR2511SR+ power 23 dbm sensitivity -87 dbm and Dlink DWL-120 power 19 dbm sensitivity -84 dbm possible?
budget is ard $350.

i don't think you need the power of Senao even with your new apartment, a simple rule is an AP with 15 dbm (33 mw) is enough to penetrate 3 brick walls, or 1 reinforced concrete wall + 1 brick wall.

the Senao SL2511SR Plus cost $248, and the Dlink DWL-120 is $130, total $378.

if you do not need a print server, Linksys BEFW11S4 ($230) + Compex WLU11A USB client ($85) should be good enough, if you need print server, SMC7004ABWR ($239) + Compex WLU11A ($85) is still within your budget.

Teaken

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
wirelessdan2002 said:

i don't think you need the power of Senao even with your new apartment, a simple rule is an AP with 15 dbm (33 mw) is enough to penetrate 3 brick walls, or 1 reinforced concrete wall + 1 brick wall.

the Senao SL2511SR Plus cost $248, and the Dlink DWL-120 is $130, total $378.

if you do not need a print server, Linksys BEFW11S4 ($230) + Compex WLU11A USB client ($85) should be good enough, if you need print server, SMC7004ABWR ($239) + Compex WLU11A ($85) is still within your budget.
wat is the diff between Dlink and Compex? Senao and linksys diff in price is $18.
diff in term of wat? which ones got 4port switch?
warranty wise?
which shop to buy from for after sales gd services?

wirelessdan2002

Reaction score
Teaken said:
wat is the diff between Dlink and Compex? Senao and linksys diff in price is $18.
diff in term of wat? which ones got 4port switch?
warranty wise?
which shop to buy from for after sales gd services?

performance wise i have no doubt that the Dlink should have better range than the Compex (probably 20 to 30% more), but we are talking about $130 against $85, which is 50% more in cost, therefore the Compex is better value for money compared to the Dlink.

so the question is is the Compex sufficient for your need, my gut feel is yes, then there is no point spending that extra. i have remmended many users the Compex and the feedback has been good.

as for the wireless router, the Linksys BEFW11S4 has 4-port built-in compared to the Senao's 2. quality and finishing wise Linksys is 1 up, and i believe Linksys technical support is better too. i only recommend Senao for really tough physical environment like extremely long range or multi-storey houses (3 and above).

you can get the Compex WLU11A at $85 from the Hardware Place 4th floor SLS, and the Linksys BEFW11S4 at $227 from JSM, also 4th floor SLS.

best price for the Senao alone i believe is Cybermind, though Keith66 has remmended another shop in Funan but the offered price is only for bundlling with PCMCIA card.

Teaken

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
wirelessdan2002 said:

performance wise i have no doubt that the Dlink should have better range than the Compex (probably 20 to 30% more), but we are talking about $130 against $85, which is 50% more in cost, therefore the Compex is better value for money compared to the Dlink.

so the question is is the Compex sufficient for your need, my gut feel is yes, then there is no point spending that extra. i have remmended many users the Compex and the feedback has been good.

as for the wireless router, the Linksys BEFW11S4 has 4-port built-in compared to the Senao's 2. quality and finishing wise Linksys is 1 up, and i believe Linksys technical support is better too. i only recommend Senao for really tough physical environment like extremely long range or multi-storey houses (3 and above).

you can get the Compex WLU11A at $85 from the Hardware Place 4th floor SLS, and the Linksys BEFW11S4 at $227 from JSM, also 4th floor SLS.

best price for the Senao alone i believe is Cybermind, though Keith66 has remmended another shop in Funan but the offered price is only for bundlling with PCMCIA card.
Compex WLU11A at $85 is how many dbm and sensistively?

wirelessdan2002

Reaction score
Teaken said:
Compex WLU11A at $85 is how many dbm and sensistively?

have tested it against the Linksys WUSB11 side by side and not much difference in performance, so i gather it is around 15 dbm and -84 dbm sensitivity, good enough for penetrating 3 brick walls. Linksys WUSB11 is sold for $115.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.