HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Starhub $19.90 100mbps internet not working

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 14-01-2018, 09:42 AM   #1
Supremacy Member

Starhub $19.90 100mbps internet not working

Anyone one this plan and is having issues? I signed up 3 days ago and it is not stable. Have already log a case with Starhub.. Yesterday and today no connection
babyrobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2018, 10:01 AM   #2

Call 1633 direct to Broadband tech support line, not cs.
Inform them on your problem.
If required have the document on hand for any reference.

Btw do check your address on the doc if correct.

Should not take so long...
eric3743 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2018, 10:16 AM   #3
Arch-Supremacy Member

Connect the coax to the main catv point and test direct at modem.
If you have more than 1 catv point, the sub ones could be faulty wiring that contributes to this.
Prepare to define "unstable"
wherehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2018, 11:14 AM   #4
Arch-Supremacy Member

Anyone one this plan and is having issues? I signed up 3 days ago and it is not stable. Have already log a case with Starhub.. Yesterday and today no connection
Many years ago I was using it. Just need to call 1633 to talk to their support and it can be settle very quickly.
Anyway such old technology will soon come to an end for sure. I think by end of 2019 which is only 1 year more. For Starhub Cable user, they are always welcome to sign up fibre broadband at any time even if they are still on contract.

Last edited by Henry Ng; 14-01-2018 at 11:26 AM..
Henry Ng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2018, 01:32 PM   #5

I wouldn't call cable old tech yet. Many people in other countries will give a limb for internet access like in Singapore
dryteletubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2018, 03:07 PM   #6

Some still on modem 56k.
eric3743 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2018, 03:16 PM   #7
Arch-Supremacy Member

I wouldn't call cable old tech yet. Many people in other countries will give a limb for internet access like in Singapore
Should always give them a call if there is issue as tech support is included in the price. Other countries will depend which country you are referring to, most of them already has fast internet. Hong Kong, TW, S. Korea and Japan are very good example.
Old 14-01-2018, 07:41 PM   #8
Master Member

Some past experience on using cable, always check the signal strength, if your cable go through 2 filter stages through splitter, likely will suffer intermittent issue.

Trace the signal to the riser box outside your house,make sure cable point is plugged into the main distribution point, my unit got sabotage before that starhub tech move my cable point to go through a splitter when running out of connection point. Immediately my cable signal getting bad.

Also my cable point to the living hall is suffering bad signal quality (starhub tech did measurement to confirm)

Instead of paying 150 to lay cable again, I was switching to new fibre line. Can't afford to have intermittent internet. aq

Should always give them a call if there is issue as tech support is included in the price. Other countries will depend which country you are referring to, most of them already has fast internet. Hong Kong, TW, S. Korea and Japan are very good example.
HMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2018, 07:55 PM   #9
Arch-Supremacy Member

Some past experience on using cable, always check the signal strength, if your cable go through 2 filter stages through splitter, likely will suffer intermittent issue.

Trace the signal to the riser box outside your house,make sure cable point is plugged into the main distribution point, my unit got sabotage before that starhub tech move my cable point to go through a splitter when running out of connection point. Immediately my cable signal getting bad.

Also my cable point to the living hall is suffering bad signal quality (starhub tech did measurement to confirm)

Instead of paying 150 to lay cable again, I was switching to new fibre line. Can't afford to have intermittent internet. aq
Fibre is still the best at this time.
Old 14-01-2018, 08:32 PM   #10
Supremacy Member

I connected directly to TV cable point and no splitter involved. If modem direct to laptop it works fine but not stable. Wireless is zero connection at all. They called back to say still checking back end. No resolution eta given.
Old 14-01-2018, 08:34 PM   #11
Supremacy Member

Fibre is still the best at this time.
Signed up cos no contract and needed a connection.. might be moving overseas so didn't wanna be tied to contract. So far best option (or maybe not since 4/5 days zero wifi)..
Old 14-01-2018, 08:51 PM   #12
Master Member

I connected directly to TV cable point and no splitter involved. If modem direct to laptop it works fine but not stable. Wireless is zero connection at all. They called back to say still checking back end. No resolution eta given.
Do you have many cable points at Home ? if yes..likely there are splitter hidden somewhere.

The worst case is from outside of your house, splitter is used which you may not know on how to check.

Tell more on your Wireless router setup and placement of router to Computer.

Tell more on your description of Not Stable ? what is not stable ? poor internet connection speed ?

Check the Computer LAN Properties.. try downloading stuff and check the Transmit and Receive ratio. if you have high sent/Received ratio..that is to say there are many Retry of resending data to you. Bad Signal integrity symptom.

HMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2018, 10:37 PM   #13
Supremacy Member

So which modem did Starhub give it to you?

If direct no problem, then maybe the WIFI router is the problem.
Old 14-01-2018, 10:39 PM   #14
Supremacy Member

Signed up cos no contract and needed a connection.. might be moving overseas so didn't wanna be tied to contract. So far best option (or maybe not since 4/5 days zero wifi)..
If I were you, I would rather just tether from my mobile data. Usage may be limited but I can control it. Just for surfing and checking emails.
Old 15-01-2018, 12:08 PM   #15
Arch-Supremacy Member

I see. Actually it is great opportunity to move overseas.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.