Starhub Cable BB is now 200Mbps ???

eric3743

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Think will pass on the Google wifi as $480 is too much, can get cheaper online. Now thinking if I should get the Linksys EA9500, Linksys Velo, Google Wifi, or MoCA, which I am still trying to understand how to use it and I am told SG has a version different from US.
Get router to suit to your premise as priority.
If you are reading here hwz most use common routers.
So that settings is straightforward and any problems post here will get help.

As for $19.90 the minimum contract is 3 months else termination charges apply.
And don't forget router at subsidy rate may need contract.

Even I do have fibre, I do have this cable for testing, standby, emergency, etc; use.

gregory_choo

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I'm intending to sign up for the $19.90 /100mbps plan.. Is it enough speed for Skype mtg? Also can I use <Linksys Wireless-G Broadband Router> or the <TP link 3/4G wireless N router model tl-mr3420> with the given router? Is the best/cheapest deal to pickup from Starhub shop? Previously i used singnet live wire..

100Mbps don't need contract, so you can sign up one month and test.

Please note that the cable plan has only 10Mbps upload speed, skype needs only 2Mbps for hd video call, so it should be enough.

You should be able to use your existing router.

Spongy

Master Member
Reaction score
Get router to suit to your premise as priority.
If you are reading here hwz most use common routers.
So that settings is straightforward and any problems post here will get help.

As for $19.90 the minimum contract is 3 months else termination charges apply.
And don't forget router at subsidy rate may need contract.

Even I do have fibre, I do have this cable for testing, standby, emergency, etc; use.

The wifi coverage of my current Netgear AC5300 router in the study room is not strong enough to reach my living room at home. Thus will need to get either a router with stronger wifi like the Linksys EA9500S, or wifi mesh like Google wifi or Linksys Velo. Someone else in this thread mentioned about MoCA, thus trying to find out if it will help to solve my wifi coverage issues. Any suggestions?

eric3743

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
The wifi coverage of my current Netgear AC5300 router in the study room is not strong enough to reach my living room at home. Thus will need to get either a router with stronger wifi like the Linksys EA9500S, or wifi mesh like Google wifi or Linksys Velo. Someone else in this thread mentioned about MoCA, thus trying to find out if it will help to solve my wifi coverage issues. Any suggestions?
It is a matter on where you put the router.
This location should serve the overall needs especially for wifi.

This mean that there is 2 or more walls between study and living rooms.
So this may suit to your master room as next room..
A layout of your premise or type of flat will be better for all to advice.
Data points and additional routers are common nowadays.

MikeDirnt78

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Putting your main router inside a room is like slightly better than putting your router in the DB.

You should be putting it in an open space like the living room.

Spongy

Master Member
Reaction score
It is a matter on where you put the router.
This location should serve the overall needs especially for wifi.

This mean that there is 2 or more walls between study and living rooms.
So this may suit to your master room as next room..
A layout of your premise or type of flat will be better for all to advice.
Data points and additional routers are common nowadays.

Putting your main router inside a room is like slightly better than putting your router in the DB.

You should be putting it in an open space like the living room.

I have a switch in the utility room and all my rooms have LAN points. Two AIOs PC are in the study room (bedroom 4) and they are cabled from the router. I have tried putting the router in the living room (C1) but the wifi signal in the study room is affected. Locating the router in another room will affect the two AIOs.

fabf02c1-9a2a-45e8-8f69-4c84e49b7a8a.png

Last edited:

gregory_choo

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I have a switch in the utility room and all my rooms have LAN points. Two AIOs PC are in the study room (bedroom 4) and they are cabled from the router. I have tried putting the router in the living room (C1) but the wifi signal in the study room is affected. Locating the router in another room will affect the two AIOs.

There are too many walls between your study room and living room.

All you need to do is to add another wireless router in the living room. Remember to set one of your 2 wireless router as WAP (wireless access point).

darren_soh86

Master Member
Reaction score
100Mbps don't need contract, so you can sign up one month and test.

Please note that the cable plan has only 10Mbps upload speed, skype needs only 2Mbps for hd video call, so it should be enough.

You should be able to use your existing router.

the webby says exclusive for new sign-ups. dunno if they will accept if recontract for this. my in-laws currently on 100mbps cable, but contract up liao.

i also thinking of changing to cable when my SH fibre contract is up lo. any idea if need activation/termination fee for the change?

eric3743

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
the webby says exclusive for new sign-ups. dunno if they will accept if recontract for this. my in-laws currently on 100mbps cable, but contract up liao.

i also thinking of changing to cable when my SH fibre contract is up lo. any idea if need activation/termination fee for the change?
The 100mbps is for NEW sign up.

Cable and Fibre are both different.
Fibre terminate for SH charge $32.10 incl 7% gst for NLT.
Cable terminate is nil as theirs.
Activation for Fibre & Cable is chargeable.
Recontract may be waived but best is by request.

eric3743

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Try to request for Fibre recontract for any special promo for you.
If yours is due, ie already completed 21 months, usually sales will contact you.

In my case HomeHub 1000 recontract offer free IPTV subscription.
Fibre broadband 1000 at $49.90 usual price.
Mine is HomeHub 1000 $49.90
Although not include free router but already have additional 2 DIR-868L routers.
So it is a good offer.

eric3743

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Bedroom 4 is a dead end.
Worst place for router to provide wireless.
Even wireless repeater will not help.

Cable broadband is good for best download but opposite for upload.
And Cable like ADSL will be ceased in 2020 or early.

wacko

Arch-Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score

you should try placing the router at the top right corner (based on your floor map picture orientation) of the utility room, and see if the wifi signal can cover the entire apartment. that looks to be the most central location possible. I think if you place it there, the weakest spot would be the toilet bowl in master bedroom, which I think is one very very important specific area to have wifi...

eric3743

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Since your data points are all setup.
Go consider Fibre broadband plan.
Nowadays ISP are fighting for customers so price drop.

There are 1Gbps, 500mbps or 300mbps, etc.
For 1Gbps there is free router.
Other plans with option to buy router at $120 as part of the competition.

darren_soh86

Master Member
Reaction score
The 100mbps is for NEW sign up.

Cable and Fibre are both different.
Fibre terminate for SH charge $32.10 incl 7% gst for NLT.
Cable terminate is nil as theirs.
Activation for Fibre & Cable is chargeable.
Recontract may be waived but best is by request.

yea i know its different. i am on fibre 300 now. but thought of moving back down to cable. no need for the speed anyway. but if need to pay fibre termination and then cable activation then not so good deal already.

dhana011

Reaction score
Wireless router for starhub cable broadband.

Hi,
I like to opt for starhub 200MBPS cable broadband.
As they are providing below benefits,
-FREE Voice-enabled Cable Modem worth $235.40
-FREE 6 months JuniorProtect Basic
-FREE 12 months of HomeInsuredTM*
-Online Exclusive: $30 bill rebate

Modem is free, shall I use my own router namely wavelink wireless router on this starhub cable broadband instead of buying Linksys Max-StreamTM EA7500 AC1900+ wireless router from starhub.

eric3743

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I like to opt for starhub 200MBPS cable broadband.
As they are providing below benefits,
-FREE Voice-enabled Cable Modem worth $235.40
-FREE 6 months JuniorProtect Basic
-FREE 12 months of HomeInsuredTM*
-Online Exclusive: $30 bill rebate

Modem is free, shall I use my own router namely wavelink wireless router on this starhub cable broadband instead of buying Linksys Max-StreamTM EA7500 AC1900+ wireless router from starhub.

Are you referring to this > 200Mbps Cable Broadband @ $22.90/month

Router is an option.
Activation cost is $53+
Online may charge you for delivery charges &or installation charges, do check and confirm.

Although there is this $30 rebate, but going to retail shops will able to self install and immediate use.

Download is 200mbps and upload is 10+mbps.

dhana011

Reaction score
Thanks Eric for prompt reply.
Now I am using Singtel Fibre plan, Is there any new installation(like starhub access point) needed from starthub for my cable broadband or walkin retail shop and buy the modem and connect my self.

Router is an option.
Activation cost is $53+
Online may charge you for delivery charges &or installation charges, do check and confirm.

Although there is this $30 rebate, but going to retail shops will able to self install and immediate use.

Download is 200mbps and upload is 10+mbps.[/QUOTE]

eric3743

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thanks Eric for prompt reply.
Now I am using Singtel Fibre plan, Is there any new installation(like starhub access point) needed from starthub for my cable broadband or walkin retail shop and buy the modem and connect my self.

Starhub Cable broadband require cable coaxial point only.
Cable coaxial point is belong to Starhub and should there be any issue with it they can fix it, free.

Just walk in to Starhub retail shop and sign-up for cable broadband service.

This service come with free cable modem and a coaxial cable is included.
The cable modem box do come with LAN cable.
Signing up is the same as sign up for phones.
NRIC is required as they may have to check your address to ensure the cable broadband service is available for you.

As for the free services, namely, JuniorProtect Basic & HomeInsuredTM, do ask to confirm properly upon sign-up to avoid miscommunication.
This 200Mbps cable broadband is a 12 months contract and you have to call to terminate at the end of the contract, if you wish to.
As being 12 months contract, the JuniorProtect Basic do check & confirm if you need to opt-out after 6 months free, else chargeable.

DIY setup is straightforward as just plug and play.
Once install and connected it is up and ready to use, no delay.

Suggest you to (factory/hard) reset your router to ease any previous IP and settings to avoid conflict.
Anyway should the router is not suitable after using, there are plenty of cheap routers in the open market.

Regards.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.