Is there a need to change D-Link 868L for higher-end router?

radiancez567

Reaction score
I am currently on StarHub 500mbps, with provided router D-Link 868L.

Currently using this provided router which seems quite okay for my usage, but wondering if I should be changing it, and wonder what are the uses of those super high-end routers? (Why do you buy it for, just to max out the specs, or future proof, or?)

For my usage,
- Can support more than 7 wireless devices in my house (typical 3-room)
- Support 2.4GHz and 5GHz (ac?)
- Speedtest download more than 400mbps even on wireless on Macbook Air using ac

- Appear to have no blind spot around the house - no need for repeater
- Can support my 2-bay Synology NAS

Wonder what features those higher-end routers have?
- Extra long range?
- Super fast (max) speeds - 1300Mbps? 1734Mbps? which most people probably won't need?

What can I not do on D-Link 868L, that can be done on Asus AC87U for example?

Last edited:

leon123456

Reaction score
I am curious as well. I am on home hub 500. My wireless can only hit 200+ with asus ac56 wireless adapter. I am curious if we upgrade the dlink 868 to a "better" router. Can we hit maybe 400+ wireless with low latency. I understand we need good ac wireless adapter as well to hit good speed.

molecule

Reaction score
for coverage best to set up multiple access points which will always be superior to single WiFi router.

For speed perhaps u can share what kind of real activities u cannot do today w your current router or simply just want to spend extra money to see the test numbers go to 300/400 Mbps (it happens)?

phayze

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Copying files over wifi to NAS on lan can reach 500Mbps on RT-AC87U.

leon123456

Reaction score
i am not sure whats radiance member needs. but for me to be frank its just seeing speed test results better make me happy. i was on 100mbps plan before already more than enough. hehe. just wanted to see 400+mbps wifi if possible to satisfy my "eyes"

molecule

Reaction score
i am not sure whats radiance member needs. but for me to be frank its just seeing speed test results better make me happy. i was on 100mbps plan before already more than enough. hehe. just wanted to see 400+mbps wifi if possible to satisfy my "eyes"

Yup that's shiok! :) then I'd say ac87u > 868L

radiancez567

Reaction score
I am curious as well. I am on home hub 500. My wireless can only hit 200+ with asus ac56 wireless adapter. I am curious if we upgrade the dlink 868 to a "better" router. Can we hit maybe 400+ wireless with low latency. I understand we need good ac wireless adapter as well to hit good speed.

Yep, I use Macbook Air on 5GHz and this is the result I get from a 500mbps wireless connection, which looks superb to me.

So I'm curious what super benefits can those higher-end routers give.

radiancez567

Reaction score
for coverage best to set up multiple access points which will always be superior to single WiFi router.

For speed perhaps u can share what kind of real activities u cannot do today w your current router or simply just want to spend extra money to see the test numbers go to 300/400 Mbps (it happens)?

Yup that's shiok! :) then I'd say ac87u > 868L

I can do everything I need with my current router, so I am asking what benefits do AC87U have over 868L...

Yes it does satisfy my eyes seeing the fast speeds, e.g. just posted a speedtest of 470+mbps on wireless. Can't believe so fast.

And also I upgraded because: cheaper price, faster speed. Why not right?

blimey

Reaction score
You're doing fine with your router.
It's all in your mind if you want to chase the numbers game with speed test.
I've asked myself before, why do I need a router to push the speedtest numbers to as close as possible to my broadband's advertised speed when everything seems fast?
It's such a waste of money.

ralfale

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Does lan transfer speed increase for higher quality router with faster processor and more ram E.g. n66u to ac87u

phayze

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Internal LAN switching should be at its full speed regardless of CPU or RAM.

Does lan transfer speed increase for higher quality router with faster processor and more ram E.g. n66u to ac87u

molecule

Reaction score
Internal LAN switching should be at its full speed regardless of CPU or RAM.

that's absolutely not true! it depends on the load that you are putting on the switch! maybe at the home you are not stressing it enough hence we don't see a difference. today's home routers do a lot more, eg. print server, media server, torrent server etc etc. that affects as well. Maybe a pure gigabit "dumb" switch.

Last edited:

Marack

Reaction score
that's absolutely not true! it depends on the load that you are putting on the switch! maybe at the home you are not stressing it enough hence we don't see a difference. today's home routers do a lot more, eg. print server, media server, torrent server etc etc. that affects as well. Maybe a pure gigabit "dumb" switch.

You have a good point. ;)

But having an "everything also can do" expectation of this device doesn't see correct too. Especially if it is

• FOC as part of your contractual agreement.
  • If it goes down, can you imagine the trouble and stress that you have built your lifestyle devices and usage habits around it.

:s22:

windwaver

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
You're doing fine with your router.
It's all in your mind if you want to chase the numbers game with speed test.
I've asked myself before, why do I need a router to push the speedtest numbers to as close as possible to my broadband's advertised speed when everything seems fast?
It's such a waste of money.

Agree! Nowadays I use the money for nice good meals :s13:

nanoprobe

Reaction score
Agreed x2! That's why I only subscribe to the cheapest on promotion fibre 100mb plan and save this extra $10-30 /month for other uses since I don't do online gaming. It is tempting to hv 500mb/1Gb plan and pay extra $30/m, then spend more money optimising, buying routers + bridges that cost as much as some PCs each.

Most laptops, iPads, phones aren't gonna use more than 100mbps line, if engage mostly overseas website bottleneck still at overseas shared link.

Last edited:

radiancez567

Reaction score
Shall stick with my router then, since it's working so fine for me.

As for internet speed, the average speed is just going to increase because it's simply getting cheaper. In the past maybe 100mbps was $59.90, nowadays 1Gbps is $39.90. So many would choose to upgrade simply because it's cheaper.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.