what's the best solution for signal to reach master room?

BradLee

Reaction score
I'm not so sure if anyone ask this qn b4.
I stay in a 4room HDB.
My fibre termination pt is in the living room tv console.
I just recontract my broadband switch from cable to fibre.
Therefore my wireless router will have to put above tv console.

My flat layout is the new flat type where there is a corridor leading to the master room, therefore this wireless signal needs to go thru 3 layers of walls b4 hitting my master room.

I wonder if any of u with the same situation manage to use a better router, extender or like those powerplug to be able to extend the signal into the master room.

I went to comex yesterday and saw got those wireless router with very long anntenna wonder if this helps, what would be the best and cheapest solution? Thanks in advance.

PS as currently i am using cable the router is put in my master room so no issue.

dsrl

Reaction score
I stay in a 4room HDB.

My flat layout is the new flat type where there is a corridor leading to the master room, therefore this wireless signal needs to go thru 3 layers of walls b4 hitting my master room.

I wonder if any of u with the same situation manage to use a better router, extender or like those powerplug to be able to extend the signal into the master room.

I went to comex yesterday and saw got those wireless router with very long anntenna wonder if this helps, what would be the best and cheapest solution? Thanks in advance.

PS as currently i am using cable the router is put in my master room so no issue.
The layout of my flat is the same as you. Switched from ASUS RT-AC66U to RT-AC87R recently and it resolved my WIFI deadspots issue, which is the far corner of the master bedroom and master bedroom toilet.

abstrax

Reaction score
I stay in a 4room HDB.

Connect a 2nd wireless router to ur masterbedroom using LAN cable from the 1st router. U will have full reception then.

This is wat i have done in my 4rm flat :

TP -> ONT -> PACE router(in living room) ---using LAN cable---> Asus AC56U(in my masterbedroom)

I got full coverage in my whole unit....with full bar signal...

those long antenna wireless router is the same coverage like others..due to limitation of the power signal from the router itself...just get a normal router or if u want faster wireless speed...get a AC router...

BradLee

Reaction score
The layout of my flat is the same as you. Switched from ASUS RT-AC66U to RT-AC87R recently and it resolved my WIFI deadspots issue, which is the far corner of the master bedroom and master bedroom toilet.

Thanks will check out this model

BradLee

Reaction score
Connect a 2nd wireless router to ur masterbedroom using LAN cable from the 1st router. U will have full reception then.

This is wat i have done in my 4rm flat :

TP -> ONT -> PACE router(in living room) ---using LAN cable---> Asus AC56U(in my masterbedroom)

I got full coverage in my whole unit....with full bar signal...

those long antenna wireless router is the same coverage like others..due to limitation of the power signal from the router itself...just get a normal router or if u want faster wireless speed...get a AC router...

Thanks but wouldn't that became wire along the corridor which is not so nice?

BradLee

Reaction score
I try not to have too much wire going around, more keen to try like getting a powerful wireless router if there is any in the market or there is another type which uses the power line that u need a pair to work, which would be better?

abstrax

Reaction score
Thanks but wouldn't that became wire along the corridor which is not so nice?

Use trunking lor mount on the wall...it is more tedious but its worth the effort. Otherwise use wireless repeater which I will not recommend as the wifi signal is not so fast compared to wired router to ur room...

I convert my all the telephone port(in every room) to RJ-45 LAN port so that my PACE router is connected to all the LAN ports in my 3 bedrooms...tats y I no nid to lay the LAN cable..

Last edited:

abstrax

Reaction score
I try not to have too much wire going around, more keen to try like getting a powerful wireless router if there is any in the market or there is another type which uses the power line that u need a pair to work, which would be better?

even the most expensive router u buy wun be able to extend the wifi signal to ur master bedroom...tats y u can see my layout for my 4rm HDB...

those wireless repeater use wireless signal too to extend ur wifi coverage...u can go SLS to survey which kind suit u most...

BradLee

Reaction score
Use trunking lor mount on the wall...it is more tedious but its worth the effort. Otherwise use wireless repeater which I will not recommend as the wifi signal is not so fast compared to wired router to ur room...

I convert my all the telephone port(in every room) to RJ-45 LAN port so that my PACE router is connected to all the LAN ports in my 3 bedrooms...tats y I no nid to lay the LAN cable..
Thanks, this convertion only possible to do during renovation? any expose wiring?

BradLee

Reaction score
even the most expensive router u buy wun be able to extend the wifi signal to ur master bedroom...tats y u can see my layout for my 4rm HDB...

those wireless repeater use wireless signal too to extend ur wifi coverage...u can go SLS to survey which kind suit u most...
what is SLS?

kewl

Reaction score
I stay in a 4room HDB.

Have a similar configuration as u. I think I have tried almost everything i can think of. I have a 200Mbps starhub fibre subscription and using the default Dlink router. With the Dlink router, cant even get a single bar in master room. Some of the things I've tried are

1. got a dlink 1320 wireless repeater and try to put this in the 1st room. The repeater is able to pick up the signal from the living room, but the rebroadcast signal is weak. Moving it to the 2nd room, i can get a better signal in the master room, but the repeater is not able to pick up a stable signal from the main router in the living room so no point as well.

2. replace dlink router with a tp-link 1043nd. This has 3 external 5dbi antenna, and is a fully 2.4ghz router, which supposedly gave a better reach at the expense of speed. I now get 2 bars in my room, but the signal is unstable. Sometimes it drops to 0, and then up again. When its at 2 bars, i can get about 12mbps download from speedtest.

3. used the tplink with the extender. In the 2nd room, repeater can pick the router signal, and in the master room, I can get the extender signal but the speed is bad. Maybe about 10mbs download speed.

4. change the 3x 5dbi antennas to 9dbi antennas. Signal strength went up to 3 bars, but still unstable. It still drops to 0 signal especially when at night and the doors are all closed.

5. use the 3x 5dbi antennas and also the extender. Same speed. bout 10 mbs download.

6. got a usb dongle which allows me to attach en external antenna, and used the original tp-link 5dbi antenna. This worked well, which i guess means that the router while able to push its signal all the way to the room, the client is not able to communicate back due to low signal strength. 2 way commnication means that both client and router must have enough range, and not just the router. Download speed is now about 20mbps

7. got a pair of homeplugs. This is by far the best solution. Plug one of it into a power strip which has my tv, soundbar, xbox, router, and starhub connected as well. The other one (with build in wireless) i connect to my power strip in the master room, which has a laptop, phone charger, monitor attached. None of the homeplugs are attached directly to the wall. Download speed is about 45mbps. Not the full 200 but it will do. In the living room, i get 145 mbps download connecting to the wireless router.

koroshiya8

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Yes, i was also very disappointed with repeater... half the bandwidth is gone even if u get 100% reception LOL...

BradLee

Reaction score
Have a similar configuration as u. I think I have tried almost everything i can think of. I have a 200Mbps starhub fibre subscription and using the default Dlink router. With the Dlink router, cant even get a single bar in master room. Some of the things I've tried are

1. got a dlink 1320 wireless repeater and try to put this in the 1st room. The repeater is able to pick up the signal from the living room, but the rebroadcast signal is weak. Moving it to the 2nd room, i can get a better signal in the master room, but the repeater is not able to pick up a stable signal from the main router in the living room so no point as well.

2. replace dlink router with a tp-link 1043nd. This has 3 external 5dbi antenna, and is a fully 2.4ghz router, which supposedly gave a better reach at the expense of speed. I now get 2 bars in my room, but the signal is unstable. Sometimes it drops to 0, and then up again. When its at 2 bars, i can get about 12mbps download from speedtest.

3. used the tplink with the extender. In the 2nd room, repeater can pick the router signal, and in the master room, I can get the extender signal but the speed is bad. Maybe about 10mbs download speed.

4. change the 3x 5dbi antennas to 9dbi antennas. Signal strength went up to 3 bars, but still unstable. It still drops to 0 signal especially when at night and the doors are all closed.

5. use the 3x 5dbi antennas and also the extender. Same speed. bout 10 mbs download.

6. got a usb dongle which allows me to attach en external antenna, and used the original tp-link 5dbi antenna. This worked well, which i guess means that the router while able to push its signal all the way to the room, the client is not able to communicate back due to low signal strength. 2 way commnication means that both client and router must have enough range, and not just the router. Download speed is now about 20mbps

7. got a pair of homeplugs. This is by far the best solution. Plug one of it into a power strip which has my tv, soundbar, xbox, router, and starhub connected as well. The other one (with build in wireless) i connect to my power strip in the master room, which has a laptop, phone charger, monitor attached. None of the homeplugs are attached directly to the wall. Download speed is about 45mbps. Not the full 200 but it will do. In the living room, i get 145 mbps download connecting to the wireless router.

Thanks for the detail reply, appreciate it. I think alot of new flats come with this kind of layout, your answer is not only valuable to me but for many bros out there having the same issue.
I guess i need to try your best solution then!!!

abstrax

Reaction score
Thanks, this convertion only possible to do during renovation? any expose wiring?

All r concealed inside the wall....so no wire exposed...
U can look for cableman to do the conversion for u....no nid wait for reno...

abstrax

Reaction score
Yes, i was also very disappointed with repeater... half the bandwidth is gone even if u get 100% reception LOL...

b4 i bought my 2nd router, I did try using repeater too...my video streaming keep buffering till like no tomolo....after listen to my buddy advice i bought a 2nd wireless router n connect to my room....wow!! video streaming is superb!! no more buffering!!

for those who only checks emails..normal web surfing..msn..twitter..etc, repeater is sufficient for the amount of bandwidth it can give...

Last edited:

BradLee

Reaction score
Yoz just an update, starhub came to setup the fiber, after which we tested together and surprise my macbook in my master room can received full signal. The staff said thats is because macbook in powerful!!
however when i use iphone to try is quite intermittent.
I did a speed test manage to get 80 over Mbps, is that consider good?
nonetheless at times i do get cut off and needs to reconnect but not that often. so far happen like 2-3 times for a week of usage.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.