HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Cheated by a dishonest repair shop - the ipad horror story

Share This Page
HardwareZone.com on Facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-11-2012, 12:32 PM   #1

Cheated by a dishonest repair shop - the ipad horror story

I post on behalf of my friend Celine Lim, who got cheated by this repair shop at 38 Princep street , iRepair @ Dhoby Ghaut who does ipad repair and iphone repair and other handphone brand.

She had dropped her ipad 2 and her touchscreen glass shattered. She went on to find this shop to get a replacement done. It cost her $200 for a original replacement. The repair was done quickly and she was happy with it. However, after about 2 weeks of normal usage like playing games on the the ipad, the ipad glass shattered again. this time by not dropping but only pressing on the screen itself. Unhappy with the quality of the replaced parts, she approached the staff of the shop asking them why the screen breaks so easily this time.

She suspects it is not a original parts replacement as the shop claim to be. Instead of rectifying the problem, a lady staff accuse her of 'spoiling' her own ipad and pushing the blame to the parts and workmanship. She was asked to pay another $160 for it to be replaced. She explained she don't mind paying but felt that paying for something that is not what she wanted, was plain cheating.In pursuing the matter more, she has found out from the technician there that this certain batch of touchscreen is 'thinner' than before.

The question to them is, since it is original parts used, why would it be 'thinner'? Isn't all original part of the same quality? They cannot answer that. The staff even tell my friend they are 'kind' enough to help her for the 2nd time. is this customer service? they even bring out 'rules and regulation' of buying things in Singapore. What about the 'lemon Law' that was introduced this year October? where are our consumer rights?

their facebook page
iPhone Repairs Arena | Facebook

AFTER THAT they DELETED off the comments post made by my friend on their facebook page, luckily i took a screen shot of it before they did.

What a coverup for their cheating act! Another thing i discovered is their facebook likes are 'Bought' from agents. looking at their 'likes' graph, they have a big period where there are little or no 'like' activities in Sep and Oct. And they 'coax' ppl into posting comments after the repair.
Despicable act to lead people into thinking they are popular!

A warning to all the members in HWZ! Avoid this repair shop!

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by Shawnyt; 10-11-2012 at 01:16 PM..
Shawnyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 12:53 PM   #2

to create more awareness, please post it under lifeystyle -Eat-Drink-Man-Woman

Very fast, few thousands would have read about this shop.
kalasala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 12:56 PM   #3

to create more awareness, please post it under lifeystyle -Eat-Drink-Man-Woman

Very fast, few thousands would have read about this shop.
thanks kalasala, do i just create another post or ask the moderator to move it there?
Old 10-11-2012, 12:59 PM   #4

thanks kalasala, do i just create another post or ask the moderator to move it there?
I think just create another one will do.
kalasala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 01:04 PM   #5

This shop is one massive hypocrite. Ups for awareness.
chris888222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 02:44 PM   #6
Arch-Supremacy Member

actually no one except Apple can provide with original repair parts

there are 1001 OEM suppliers in China which claim to provide parts to Apple or make equivalent

those shops which repair idevices would know this. can replace with so many fake parts, swap around etc.

the shop did repair the device, the screen break is the user's fault what

even apple does not take in broken screens for repair

Last edited by mr_voodoo; 10-11-2012 at 02:50 PM..
mr_voodoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 02:50 PM   #7

apple

actually no one except Apple can provide with original repair parts

there are 1001 OEM suppliers in China which claim to provide parts to Apple or make equivalent

those shops which repair idevices would know this. can replace with so many fake parts, swap around etc.

the shop did repair the device, the screen break is the user's fault what

even apple does not take in broken screens for repair

you fail to see the point here.

"She suspects it is not a original parts replacement as the shop claim to be. Instead of rectifying the problem, a lady staff accuse her of 'spoiling' her own ipad and pushing the blame to the parts and workmanship. She was asked to pay another $160 for it to be replaced. She explained she don't mind paying but felt that paying for something that is not what she wanted, was plain cheating.In pursuing the matter more, she has found out from the technician there that this certain batch of touchscreen is 'thinner' than before.

The question to them is, since it is original parts used, why would it be 'thinner'? Isn't all original part of the same quality? They cannot answer that. "
Old 10-11-2012, 02:51 PM   #8
Arch-Supremacy Member

just for your info TS,there is no such thing as "original Apple parts" to began with but with that been said that doesn't mean i agree with their way of handling this incident.
skipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 03:04 PM   #9

ty

just for your info TS,there is no such thing as "original Apple parts" to began with but with that been said that doesn't mean i agree with their way of handling this incident.

thanks for your info.
Old 10-11-2012, 03:25 PM   #10
Supremacy Member

Original parts are what apple use. If the shop uses parts salvage from other used iPhone, I feel it is reasonable to say parts are original. If they use any top, dick or Harry supplier parts then make this claim, then they are misrepresenting...it could be a fraudulent misrepresentation if the shop knows they are using rubbish parts but claiming to be original

This is a straight forward case if your friend can proof this is not original part. A good way to prove is to send back to apple repair center to check
htngwilliam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 03:28 PM   #11
Supremacy Member

Original parts are what apple use. If the shop uses parts salvage from other used iPhone, I feel it is reasonable to say parts are original. If they use any top, dick or Harry supplier parts then make this claim, then they are misrepresenting...it could be a fraudulent misrepresentation if the shop knows they are using rubbish parts but claiming to be original

This is a straight forward case if your friend can proof this is not original part. A good way to prove is to send back to apple repair center to check
One more point to note is I know apple suppliers and their tolerance control is so tight. LCD thickness differences where you can tell straight away may already be different...
Old 10-11-2012, 03:30 PM   #12

you fail to see the point here.

"She suspects it is not a original parts replacement as the shop claim to be. Instead of rectifying the problem, a lady staff accuse her of 'spoiling' her own ipad and pushing the blame to the parts and workmanship. She was asked to pay another $160 for it to be replaced. She explained she don't mind paying but felt that paying for something that is not what she wanted, was plain cheating.In pursuing the matter more, she has found out from the technician there that this certain batch of touchscreen is 'thinner' than before.

The question to them is, since it is original parts used, why would it be 'thinner'? Isn't all original part of the same quality? They cannot answer that. "
Most probably that shop imported the screens from China. These products or so-called replacement parts are produced in mass quantity, using sub-standard materials. I wouldn't be surprised if the LCD is thinner, get scratches easily, etc.. Cost price should be less than US$40/pc, and quality is not there or rather, no guarantee that it will even last.

Never trust any shop which says "100% Original Apple Parts" because there's no such thing for 3rd party repairer. Apple has very strict contract with their OEM/ODM factories that doesn't allow the transfer or sale of their product parts to any other 3rd parties, other than APPLE themselves, or maybe some appointed premium distributor who can provide such repair services. If really spoilt, just go to APPLE for advice. Of course, it won't be cheap but you have assurance.

If you choose to go to 3rd party repairer, just be sure that you ask all questions before you let them repair; ie. any warranty, official receipt, etc. etc.. For me, i will just import the parts in and repair myself since it doesn't make any difference..

i guess this time round, it is really buying an experience for your friend... next time be more careful lor.. and many thanks for sharing this with us too.

Last edited by maGich@t; 10-11-2012 at 03:37 PM..
maGich@t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 03:31 PM   #13
Supremacy Member

Read the thread started by TS in EDMW. Feel kind of injustice for TS's female friend until someone highlighted that TS maybe a freelance handheld gadget dealer who is active online. My empathy ceased suddenly when I clicked "find more posts by Shawnyt" and it seems vouched for business rivalry ...

Scenario 1
Occurrence genuine as what TS had shared

Scenario 2
Facts largely amended and distorted by TS due to unwell encounters with the shop

Scenario 3
TS being pwn by his female friend and shared the story, which he believed is true..only the true lies beneath

Scenario 4
Anything under the sun. Hokkien saying" Tia jiu Ho".....

Just my thoughts...retracted my sympathy for either sides...

Last edited by N_RIDER; 10-11-2012 at 03:36 PM..
N_RIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 03:37 PM   #14
Supremacy Member

Wow! Serious?

Read the thread started by TS in EDMW. Feel kind of injustice for TS's female friend until someone highlighted that TS maybe a freelance handheld gadget dealer who is active online. My empathy ceased suddenly when I clicked "find more posts by Shawnyt" and it seems vouched for business rivalry ...

Scenario 1
Occurrence genuine as what TS had shared

Scenario 2
Facts largely amended and distorted by TS due to unwell encounters with the shop

Scenario 3
TS being pwn by his female friend and shared the story, which he believed is true..only the true lies beneath

Scenario 4
Anything under the sun. Hokkien saying" Tia jiu Ho".....

Just my thoughts...retracted my sympathy for either sides...
Old 10-11-2012, 03:40 PM   #15
Arch-Supremacy Member

i also dun trust 3rd parties, after my bad experience with iPhonerepairs.sg. Rather live with a cracked screen for months.
touchme is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.