iPad Mini - Issue

joeidle1

Reaction score
I noticed the IPad mini's wifi has rather short range.

When i close my room door, it's still connected to wifi but cannot surf internet. The funny thing is my ip4, ip5 and ipad 1 can still surf the internet via wifi.

BTW, i'm using Asus n56u on M1's 100mbps fibre. Am staying in a 4 room flat and the router is in the living room.

Is my ipad mini faulty?

knightcover

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

When i close my room door, it's still connected to wifi but cannot surf internet. The funny thing is my ip4, ip5 and ipad 1 can still surf the internet via wifi.

BTW, i'm using Asus n56u on M1's 100mbps fibre. Am staying in a 4 room flat and the router is in the living room.

Is my ipad mini faulty?

Sounds fishy. A door is not really an impediment to the wifi signal strenght. Since your other devices face no such problems, then it might be the mini. :s11:

On another note, i managed to charge my mini from stock 70+% to 100%! Giving to gf later, hope she likes it :)

tormont

Reaction score

Is my ipad mini faulty?

its really hard to determine if its a fault or not since there are various factors that might be affecting it, for instance, the wifi chip, no. of antennas, interferences from 2.4ghz devices etc.

The best way to see if its the device fault is to borrow another ipad mini and try it out. Comparing between ipad and ipad mini not be accurate since the construction and layout of the hardwares internally is different.

Alternatively, repositioning ur router maybe a good option to solve the issue? or u can try getting a wifi repeater unit to extend ur wifi range.

joeidle1

Reaction score
Thanks for your help.

I called Apple and they said that if my ip4, ip5 faces no problem, there could be a problem with the ipad mini hardware. I was advice to go down for a 1 to 1.

The odd thing was, the ipad mini was working fine in the 1st week. It's still working fine now, just that the wifi range reduced. The distance between my router and ipad mini is less than 10m, inbetween it would be my room door. I dont think i would need to reposition it since, all my apple devices work fine except for the ipad mini.

its really hard to determine if its a fault or not since there are various factors that might be affecting it, for instance, the wifi chip, no. of antennas, interferences from 2.4ghz devices etc.

The best way to see if its the device fault is to borrow another ipad mini and try it out. Comparing between ipad and ipad mini not be accurate since the construction and layout of the hardwares internally is different.

Alternatively, repositioning ur router maybe a good option to solve the issue? or u can try getting a wifi repeater unit to extend ur wifi range.

tormont

Reaction score
Thanks for your help.

I called Apple and they said that if my ip4, ip5 faces no problem, there could be a problem with the ipad mini hardware. I was advice to go down for a 1 to 1.

The odd thing was, the ipad mini was working fine in the 1st week. It's still working fine now, just that the wifi range reduced. The distance between my router and ipad mini is less than 10m, inbetween it would be my room door. I dont think i would need to reposition it since, all my apple devices work fine except for the ipad mini.

u're welcome. maybe you can bring it down for a 1:1.

btw, u using RT-N56U rite? u are using the 2.4GHz band or 5GHz band? if u are using 5GHz band, likelihood that's the problem. cos ipad mini do support 5GHz and there's a chance that if u are using the same SSID and password for both bands, den ur ipad mini maybe selecting 5GHz, which is why u are experiencing the lag when u close ur door since the 5GHz has a lower wall penetration capability.

just for ur info since this maybe the plausible cause to what u are experiencing.

Last edited:

joeidle1

Reaction score
I changed the SSID for 2.4GHz and 5GHz. Funny thing is my ipad mini can only connect to the 5GHz and not the 2.4GHz.

Any idea how to fix this?

u're welcome. maybe you can bring it down for a 1:1.

btw, u using RT-N56U rite? u are using the 2.4GHz band or 5GHz band? if u are using 5GHz band, likelihood that's the problem. cos ipad mini do support 5GHz and there's a chance that if u are using the same SSID and password for both bands, den ur ipad mini maybe selecting 5GHz, which is why u are experiencing the lag when u close ur door since the 5GHz has a lower wall penetration capability.

just for ur info since this maybe the plausible cause to what u are experiencing.

tormont

Reaction score
I changed the SSID for 2.4GHz and 5GHz. Funny thing is my ipad mini can only connect to the 5GHz and not the 2.4GHz.

Any idea how to fix this?

try to "forget the network" (for 5Ghz) on ur ipad. then u try again. reboot if necessary.

if still cannot, u may want to go set ur RT-N56U router page and set the channel to '11' or below (for 2.4ghz), i.e. don't use channel 12 or 13, which usually the router will auto select either of these 2 channels as they are usually less congested compared to other channels. However, these 2 channels may not be compatible with certain devices.

do ensure that ur ipad mini is connected to 2.4ghz. if still can't, likelihood is that u nd to bring it down to service centre for a 1:1.

You may want to try it out to c if it works before going down for a 1:1.

Last edited:

skipper

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
tested charging,charge from completely dead to 100% without any problem using the supply lightning cable and 5W charger.

joeidle1

Reaction score
Tried. Doesnt work, but ip4 and ip5 can work. LOL

Think my ipad mini lemon liao

try to "forget the network" (for 5Ghz) on ur ipad. then u try again. reboot if necessary.

if still cannot, u may want to go set ur RT-N56U router page and set the channel to '11' or below (for 2.4ghz), i.e. don't use channel 12 or 13, which usually the router will auto select either of these 2 channels as they are usually less congested compared to other channels. However, these 2 channels may not be compatible with certain devices.

do ensure that ur ipad mini is connected to 2.4ghz. if still can't, likelihood is that u nd to bring it down to service centre for a 1:1.

You may want to try it out to c if it works before going down for a 1:1.

benlau1

Reaction score
I read that the iPhone 5 has the problem of automatically using the LTE network even though wi fi is on. This is because LTE is faster and the iPhone automatically selects the faster network. A lot of people chalk up their LTE data usage as a result.

Just wondering if iPad mini or iPad 4 have the same problem as well?

Pork Porridge

Reaction score
I read that the iPhone 5 has the problem of automatically using the LTE network even though wi fi is on. This is because LTE is faster and the iPhone automatically selects the faster network. A lot of people chalk up their LTE data usage as a result.

Just wondering if iPad mini or iPad 4 have the same problem as well?

Not sure abt ipad4 but on my ipad mini i see it will revert back to LTE signal when wifi signal is low..

Deavenger

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
My family got 3 iPhones , 1 iPad 2, 1 iPad 4 , ipad mini and Mac book air No wonder apple share price so x

So many obsolete products!!

My family got 3 I phone 5, 1 note 2, 1 padfone 2 ,1 mac book retina and 1 Sony vaio duo 11

tormont

Reaction score
that didn't happened on my iphone 5 though. i remember reading somewhere, they did patch the flaw rite? or is it only patched for phones using US carriers?

wadeverwadever

Reaction score
Ipad mini when connected to wifi hotspot( from my note 2)..
The connection is damn weak.. although shows connected but god damn slow..
Smtimes cant even load a website.

Hi i'm a new ipad mini user...using the wifi set...anyone has any problems with the speed of downloading apps from appstore via wifi?? the speed is very pathetic...is it a problem..i'm on optic fibre by the way which i think downloading shouldn't be so slow...anybody encounter this problem? An app 18.3mb takes 15 mins to download...the weird thing is that i can stream videos on vtube and surf the net without any lagness...just the downloading of apps from appstore is slow..

I have bought the new ipad mini, the apps downloading part is super duper slow. I have downloaded dropbox for over 10 mins. Downloading speedtest app for about 10 mins, still quarterly loading.

I wonder is it my ipad mini a faulty set? or appstore is slow??

Please someone help us!! i bought from challenger, black 16gb wifi only

Hi yup I'm under Singtel optic fibre..but I dun think its their issue coz I did the same speedtest with my galaxy note...results about the same...I can surf web and stream YouTube without any lagness...just that downloading of apps is slow

OK latest update:

i went to my parent's house to try out starhub 10mbps network wifi...surprisingly it took 10 mins for a 400mb micky mouse file....

just reached home and try again on singtel optic fibre...downloading straits times app....since 10mins ago...still downloading...WTF..

i'm going to call Singtel tomorrow to see what they say about this...if nothing is done...congrats to Singtel...they just lost another customer...

Similar problem encountered. Currently I am on 200mb Singtel Firbre Optic. Today just received my Ipad mini (16gb wifi+cellular) and once I started using it, I noticed the loading speed when connecting to appstore was so much slower. Tried downloading afew apps, the download speed and installation was pathetic. Tested the download speed with speedtest, managed to get 20-30 mbps without fail. With the network speed I'm getting, didn't expect the download and installation to be so slow, can feel the lagness. I am pretty sure it is either the device/hardware issue.

Initially I thought it could be my network problem, but I tried downloading apps with my Ipad 2 and there is not issue with it. Even tried using the speedtest on both Ipad 2 and Galaxy Note 2, download speed can easily reach 30-40 mbps.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.