Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By geckoSG
  • 1 Post By geckoSG
Share This Page
HardwareZone.com on Facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 18-01-2013, 06:56 PM   #1

Mini Review on Net-TV (A5 & A7)

Ok. There are some enquiries I receive for my Net-TV setup at my home and my sales thread on the Net-TV A2. So, I'm doing a mini review here for the benefits of others. Picture wise, I'll be grabbing images from MARIX's product blogspot instead

Currently, there are several Alternatives out there for Place-shifting, including Slingboxes, Vulkanos. This is another option I got from MARIX. Its called the Net-TV.

There are 3 models in the market. A2, A5, A7.

A2 - 2 cable inputs (analog signal), this is for those who want to stream normally their FREE ANALOG Cable point like channel 5, 8, U, Channel News Asia for 2 person to view remotely. This is what I have put up for sales as I want more than that.

A5 - 1 cable inputs (analog signal), 1 AV input (composite) for SCV / MIO TV. This is the unit that I am using.

A7 - 1 AV input (composite) for SCV / MIO TV, 1 BNC Input for CCTV setup, but possible to add another AV input with an adapter (BNC to AV)

I am using A5 at home now, which allows me to stream my analogue FREE channels and my SCV program out. This is to allow my overseas relatives to watch the basic FREE SG channels while I stream the SCV program to my parents when they travel.

I understand from MARIX that they will not bring in A2, A5, but will bring in the A7 instead.

Here are the pictures I take from their website. The front of the Net-TV

The back of the A7.

Basically, each of these boxes have 2 inputs, each inputs allow viewing for 1 users ONLY at anyone time. So, it works the same way as a Slingbox that I own also.

The mobile APPs are free on both Apple's and Android's stores. Works on both iPads and tablets. There is also PC and MAC application as well for download. Like the Slingbox products itself, the Net-TV does have a hardware receiver unit (BLACK) which is used to connect to the Net-TV boxes and display it on the TV screen via COMPOSITE cables at another location. As of writing, I did not get a chance to lay my hands on a unit of the receiver yet.

Here is a sample clip I took using my kids's iPod Touch which is linked to my 3G MIFI network. I'm using D1 resolution to stream the content.

http://youtu.be/PfoPpV5gRK4

Resolution is sharp, same expectation that I have for anything using H.264 streaming. Changing of inputs, changing of channels or options will freeze the screen for a while. Something which personally, I can live with.

Here's a comparison of speed of streaming on WiFi using my Slingplayer on Desktop and Net-TV Desktop Application. As you can see, the speed of streaming from my Net-TV arrives faster than my slingbox PRO-HD. But PRO-HD streams my HD content to me at 4Mbps on average while the Net-TV, I noticed about 2Mbps on average. So, this may have explained the difference in the Lag

http://youtu.be/kSmK22JBGz0

What we get?

Well, take a look at the NET-TV's feature, what we will pay for is a streaming device that can stream both your SCV/MIOTV programs that you have subscribed to and allows you to watch it wherever you are. And it allows you to stream your CCTV camera feeds (A7 model) to you over the internet. MARIX had posted this picture below on their product blogspot.

Recording

Well, the Net-TV A7 will allow you to record your CCTV camera feeds to an external hard drive once you plug it in. Yes, take into account that it have an built-in scheduler as well. My unit A5 allows me to do recording of my TV program if ever I missed it and allows me to play back via its interface, so I will not missed out my favourite programs if I need to be away during that period. Sounds familiar? Yes, Vulkano can do this as well. But personally, I do not do recording of my cable programs, cos it is always repeating itself after a while. Only my channel 288 & 289 does not repeat.

USB Ports

The 2 USB ports in the front allows you to plug in 1 x Wireless Dongle (Only RT2571WF chipset supported, MAX 54Mbps G network) and 1 x Hard disk (must be in FAT32).

My summary:

Well, it does what it is for... Streaming well over internet to my mobile devices, the current firmware/software of mine does not have the SCV buttons like the windows APP shown at marix's nettvsg.blogspot.sg, so I guess the updates will come in soon.

The difference between Slingbox PRO-HD and this device is, Slingbox PRO-HD will do its own quality adjustment, but Net-TV will not. Net-TV will just stream out whatever bandwidth it can get from uploading and downloading. You will see stops in between if you do not have that sufficient bandwidth. I'm on fibre UPLOAD, so bandwidth from source is not a problem. Its only the download portion which might affect my viewing.

Hope this short review helps placeshifters have an idea of choices available other than Slingbox PRO-HD, Vulkano, and others. Comes with Local warranty and technical support. So, can be considered as well.
ckh98258 likes this.

Last edited by geckoSG; 19-01-2013 at 03:55 PM..
geckoSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2013, 07:56 PM   #2

Yesterday, there was some update for the Net-TV which nows allows me to have full control of my setup box, it seems that the virtual remotes for both the APPs (Windows & Mac), Android devices have been updated. Of cos, you need to upgrade the firmware of the Net-TV as well. Apple wise, I didn't see any update, guess i will see it within the week or so.

After a few days of streaming and comparing against the streaming from the Slingbox PRO-HD. I am really very impress with the Net-TV's streaming. The updated remotes really brings this device to be fully compatible with the SCV. I've haven't got a chance to test on a MIOBOX.

But MARIX is informing me that it is supported as well.

So, those who seek an alternative with good H.264 streaming to your phone. Give them a call and get this box instead. You will be surprised with the streaming quality.
ckh98258 likes this.
Old 15-02-2013, 09:26 AM   #3

Noticed you're always the first few to grab hold of all these devices with nice writeup reviews with comparison and some sample clip of your own. Care to reveal the price that you got your A5 or you know the price of A7 now? Need not to be exact, just list it in terms of percentage as compare with Pro-HD will do.

For now I'm looking for others to try on as my Vulkano streaming is rather laggy when I'm outside watching it thru 3G network.

Meanwhile will consider whether to go for Slingbox 350 or Net-TV A7.
ckh98258 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2013, 04:22 PM   #4

Bro, pricing wise, you can call them, go visit their office for no-obligation demo on the spot, they are very friendly people one. Price wise, sorry, due to the fact that I get special pricing, not good for me to reveal. But from the fact that these guys gives fabulous support. I am willing to pay more for their service.

As you know Slingbox PRO-HD is at $448 at MARIX (only), the net-TV is at lower pricing for sure, now there is promo launch pricing. But go down to their office, let them demo on the spot with their phones. Then you decide for yourself. Always see for yourself the demos or actual clip recordings than hearing over the phone. The reason why they sold a lot of their product is that they release actual usage footage of the product to consumer on their product blogs. They will tell you truthfully what the thing is capable of. So, you do not get misleaded.

Go check their new clip, they even sell the box and setup in New Zealand!

My office uses them for IT Support and IT hardware/software purchases for now, that's why I get to know what new things they have, I like to explore new products so I ask them to call me when new things comes in. Their IT support ain't cheap, but quality is there for sure.

Last edited by geckoSG; 15-02-2013 at 04:42 PM..
Old 15-02-2013, 11:46 PM   #5

Noticed you're always the first few to grab hold of all these devices with nice writeup reviews with comparison and some sample clip of your own. Care to reveal the price that you got your A5 or you know the price of A7 now? Need not to be exact, just list it in terms of percentage as compare with Pro-HD will do.

For now I'm looking for others to try on as my Vulkano streaming is rather laggy when I'm outside watching it thru 3G network.

Meanwhile will consider whether to go for Slingbox 350 or Net-TV A7.
I don't think it will be much better with another device on 3G. Our 3G sucks here. Or even try on LTE. it might work well. You should test it before buying...
I have used vulkano from remote sites but using broadband and it works pretty well.
Twinsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2013, 10:28 AM   #6

Agree with Twinsen, test out before buying, so go visit the distributors better. So far for me, I saw my friend staying around the Woollerton Park, the 4G there shows very smooth streaming for his net-tv.

For me, I can accept the streaming, the streaming stops only when bandwidth drops way too low. Else, streaming wise, the resolution is acceptable for me.

Nevertheless, both are good products on the market.
Old 09-03-2013, 12:19 PM   #7

Just to share that I've upgraded yesterday to Net-TV A7 which allows me to stream out both MIOTV and SCV at the same time using only 1 box. It comes with an Adapter (FREE during IT Show 2013 period).

There's a major firmware upgrade which allows you to control the setup boxes even with the CCTV input port. more details at marix's blogspot at
nettvsg.blogspot.sg, call them and check with them if you want.

So, now, I can stream 2 setup boxes out via a single box instead of buying 2 boxes to do the same thing. I can have 2 people viewing the 2 inputs at any one time. It might be possible to "daisy chain the 2 inputs from the single setup box"

Those who are keen on my A5 which only have 1 AV input sources are welcome to contact me or via my sales thread through PM.
Old 01-04-2013, 02:10 PM   #8

Just an update, now the net-TV is able to record your programs for playback later if you miss it. However, the thing is, when you are recording, you cannot view it at the same time.

So, one way to overcome this is to get the adapters for the BNC (CAM) inputs and put 2 inputs from same setup box to one single box.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.