Ah Beng Shop vs Apple Store

MrExile

Reaction score
Hi all,

would like to check with experienced buyers on the difference between buying a brand new iPhone from the Ah Beng Shops located around the neighbourhood etc vs buying from the apple store.

From what I see, the ah beng shop (e.g Red White Mobile) is selling a brand new iPhone 8 at $980 compared to the Apple store SG which is selling it at $1148.

Since most of these sets are local telco sets and comes with the apple 1 year warranty, what justifies paying an extra $150 to buy a brand new one from the apple store?

Zaalaa

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

would like to check with experienced buyers on the difference between buying a brand new iPhone from the Ah Beng Shops located around the neighbourhood etc vs buying from the apple store.

From what I see, the ah beng shop (e.g Red White Mobile) is selling a brand new iPhone 8 at $980 compared to the Apple store SG which is selling it at $1148.

Since most of these sets are local telco sets and comes with the apple 1 year warranty, what justifies paying an extra $150 to buy a brand new one from the apple store?

The Apple experience. You won't get it. Just try asking those fans here.

Things include:

Return within 14days
Apple Genius
Official Apple Store
100% local set

Etc...

Just look at the sheer amount of ppl there. $100+ is nothing to them.

duhduhduh

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I think most importantly is that Apple Shop is real new iPhone while you cannot really verify if the AhBeng chagned certain parts of the iPhone?

charleslin

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Don't need to worry too much about the other comments above, they are just a bit too skeptical.

But still, keep to the bigger reputable ones such as Mobile Square, Red White and all.

They can sell at a cheaper price because they take in at a price that's lower than retail from people whom recontract their mobile line but sell off the mobile.

Just to be safe, set up the phone quickly on the spot and check the warranty via Apple's website.

If you really scared they temper before, then you go Carousell find a seller who is going to recontract but want to sell the phone and go with that person to the shop when he's doing the procedure then. It will also be slightly cheaper than mobile shops as you deal direct without mobile shops being a middle man.

And TBH, it's just a phone, who cares about the Apple experience, unless you don't know how to operate a mobile phone.

If it's buying a Mac / Apple Watch or to an extent even iPad which is pretty much fixed price, then just buy direct from Apple, no need to think.

annabellens

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Kind of risky in my own opinion. Unless is those shops that you do trust or have good review!

Zaalaa

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Don't need to worry too much about the other comments above, they are just a bit too skeptical.

But still, keep to the bigger reputable ones such as Mobile Square, Red White and all.

They can sell at a cheaper price because they take in at a price that's lower than retail from people whom recontract their mobile line but sell off the mobile.

Just to be safe, set up the phone quickly on the spot and check the warranty via Apple's website.

If you really scared they temper before, then you go Carousell find a seller who is going to recontract but want to sell the phone and go with that person to the shop when he's doing the procedure then. It will also be slightly cheaper than mobile shops as you deal direct without mobile shops being a middle man.

And TBH, it's just a phone, who cares about the Apple experience, unless you don't know how to operate a mobile phone.

If it's buying a Mac / Apple Watch or to an extent even iPad which is pretty much fixed price, then just buy direct from Apple, no need to think.

iPhone is all about experiences! DAMN.

You seen Steve Jobs before? :(

ragnarok95

Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
I bought my iphone 8 from red white mobile instead of Apple store.

It’s cheaper but it’s the same thing from Apple store. And if you go to reputable shops like red white or mobile sq, they will tell u if your set is brand new or simply, people used before. Brand new as in people sign from telcos and straight away sell it to them. Used is when people activate and use for a few days before selling to them. Those you see listed are brand new.

I have no issue, the phone is as mint as it can get.

If you are worry, then it’s better to get from the Apple store becos u can get a lot more benefits. If you wanna be cheapstake like me then just buy from reputable shop.

PongRareRare

Reaction score
When will warranty be activated?
Telco set is when it's sold right? If buy from Apple Store? Delivery day? Or the day the phone is turned on?

NoLogicLah

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
apple sell iphone 8 plus 256gb retail for $1548. u can buy from those recontracting at around $1,300 you can save a $248..... why pay so much to apple?
the $248 can use to buy applecare + if u worry so much extend warranty to 2 years somemore.

kEvinErd

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
apple sell iphone 8 plus 256gb retail for $1548. u can buy from those recontracting at around $1,300 you can save a $248..... why pay so much to apple?
the $248 can use to buy applecare + if u worry so much extend warranty to 2 years somemore.

For the "Apple Experience". Hahahaha

ragnarok95

Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator
Reaction score

Apple care plus is 228 i think? Save another 20 can go treat yourself to something nice. :0

Jirachi

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
The Apple experience. You won't get it. Just try asking those fans here.

Things include:

Return within 14days
Apple Genius
Official Apple Store
100% local set

Etc...

Just look at the sheer amount of ppl there. $100+ is nothing to them.

Haha. Well, since the opening of the flagship store here, I won’t buy any Apple products from anywhere else.

ragnarok95

Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
Return within 14 days, i think apple online also the same.

Apple Genius, don't need to buy direct from apple also can go find them la kopi.

Official Apple store, yes this one good.

100% local set, official retailers also 100% local sets.

So beside the Official Apple Store... actually... nothing much. lol

kenchi

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I also moved from buying from telco and epicentre to beng shop as I moved to sim only road plan much Cheaper long term as with plan only given lame 2 to 3gb on 40 plan too I hahahhah half price I get much more data

charleslin

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Return within 14 days, i think apple online also the same.

Apple Genius, don't need to buy direct from apple also can go find them la kopi.

Official Apple store, yes this one good.

100% local set, official retailers also 100% local sets.

So beside the Official Apple Store... actually... nothing much. lol

Unless got problem with the phone then can return.

iPad and iPhone return is 15% for unopened and 25% for opened sets.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.