Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

SG too humid for iphone 3G & 3GS

Share This Page
HardwareZone.com on Facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-07-2009, 02:41 PM   #1

SG too humid for iphone 3G & 3GS

Hi guys!

Just got my iphone 3g unresponsive home button warranty claim from Apple (Singtel) rejected.
They claim that my Iphone warranty was void because the bottom Liquid Submersion Indicator(LSI) is red.

I swear it wasn't dropped in water, I didn't get caught in the rain etc. but no use. Asked them could it be humidity? Apple and Singtel said the liquid indicator will not activate due to humidity and denied me warranty service.
Only solution? Pay $350 for a replacement. No fixes for iphone in SG, only replacement.

Basically I was treated like a liar because i swear my iphone was never submerged, Apple and Singtel swear it was (else the indicator won't activate).

LLPL, i go home, suck thumb and pray my iphone home button won't die completely.

Thinking about getting the 3gs but decided that better find out what exactly triggers the LSI.
Scully my 3gs also kena same problem, will be super sian.

So after googling for more info about LSI, seems like lots of people worldwide has this problem, and more interesting is for the Singapore and other tropical climate iphone users. Please take note of sentences in bold. Linked from Apple site and National Environment Agency of Singapore sites.

From Apple website article entitled iPhone and iPod: Water damage is not covered by warranty:
support.apple.com/kb/HT3302

iPhone and iPod products are equipped with liquid submersion indicators. The liquid submersion indicator will be activated when it comes in direct contact with liquid. The indicators are designed not to be triggered by humidity and temperature changes that are within the product's environmental requirements described by Apple."

What are the technical specs? We can find out in this link on Apple website on Iphone Technical Specifications:
support.apple.com/kb/SP495

Environmental requirements
* Operating temperature: 32 to 95 F
(0 to 35 C)
* Nonoperating temperature: -4 to 113 F
(-20 to 45 C)
* Relative humidity: 5% to 95% noncondensing

Next question is Singapore climate humidity within 5% to 95%?

From NEA.gov.sg on humidity in Singapore:
app.nea.gov.sg/cms/htdocs/article.asp?pid=1088

RELATIVE HUMIDITY: Diurnal range in the high 90's in the early morning to around 60 % in the mid-afternoon. Mean value is 84%, During prolonged heavy rain, relative humidity often reaches 100 %.

In summary, Liquid Submersion Indicator (LSI) will not trigger within * Relative humidity: 5% to 95% noncondensing , BUT Singapore humidity relative humidity often reaches 100 %.

This means that in SG humidity, esp. during monsoon season, our iphones 3G and 3GS LSI could be triggered, thereby voiding our warranty.

My plea is simple, using the iphone in SG can easily cause our Iphone warranty to be voided because of the humid climate, Apple and Singtel could you please recognise this and devise a better LSI and/or at least honor our warranty since you are selling in this region.

I've seen some users complain in HWZ about warranty unfairly rejected because of LSI activated and I'm pretty sure there are more. There are around 100,000 official iphone users in SG apparently.
This affects iphone 3GS too btw (same environmental specs) and maybe even Mac users (Unibodys all have LSI too).

Suggestions and actions to raise awareness to this issue are greatly appreciated. Thank you!
projectasterix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 02:44 PM   #2
Supremacy Member

wah....i use iphone for so long......i did not hear of this issue from my friends until now.....thanks for info
Old 08-07-2009, 02:46 PM   #3
Supremacy Member

So no more iPhone in pockets liao! And must get Applecare!
deep3lue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 02:51 PM   #4

Heheh, iphone not in pocket then put where?
Applecare also no use, LSI activated means water damage, have Applecare also warranty void
projectasterix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 02:55 PM   #5

Heheh, iphone not in pocket then put where?
Applecare also no use, LSI activated means water damage, have Applecare also warranty void
I agrees with projectasterix.. hmmm i heard abt it but i did not check my current 2G iphone when i sold it off last week.
Pixelmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 02:57 PM   #6

Hi guys!

Just got my iphone 3g unresponsive home button warranty claim from Apple (Singtel) rejected.
They claim that my Iphone warranty was void because the bottom Liquid Submersion Indicator(LSI) is red.

I swear it wasn't dropped in water, I didn't get caught in the rain etc. but no use. Asked them could it be humidity? Apple and Singtel said the liquid indicator will not activate due to humidity and denied me warranty service.
Only solution? Pay $350 for a replacement. No fixes for iphone in SG, only replacement.

Basically I was treated like a liar because i swear my iphone was never submerged, Apple and Singtel swear it was (else the indicator won't activate).

LLPL, i go home, suck thumb and pray my iphone home button won't die completely.

Thinking about getting the 3gs but decided that better find out what exactly triggers the LSI.
Scully my 3gs also kena same problem, will be super sian.

So after googling for more info about LSI, seems like lots of people worldwide has this problem, and more interesting is for the Singapore and other tropical climate iphone users. Please take note of sentences in bold. Linked from Apple site and National Environment Agency of Singapore sites.

From Apple website article entitled iPhone and iPod: Water damage is not covered by warranty:
support.apple.com/kb/HT3302

iPhone and iPod products are equipped with liquid submersion indicators. The liquid submersion indicator will be activated when it comes in direct contact with liquid. The indicators are designed not to be triggered by humidity and temperature changes that are within the product's environmental requirements described by Apple."

What are the technical specs? We can find out in this link on Apple website on Iphone Technical Specifications:
support.apple.com/kb/SP495

Environmental requirements
* Operating temperature: 32 to 95 F
(0 to 35 C)
* Nonoperating temperature: -4 to 113 F
(-20 to 45 C)
* Relative humidity: 5% to 95% noncondensing

Next question is Singapore climate humidity within 5% to 95%?

From NEA.gov.sg on humidity in Singapore:
app.nea.gov.sg/cms/htdocs/article.asp?pid=1088

RELATIVE HUMIDITY: Diurnal range in the high 90's in the early morning to around 60 % in the mid-afternoon. Mean value is 84%, During prolonged heavy rain, relative humidity often reaches 100 %.

In summary, Liquid Submersion Indicator (LSI) will not trigger within * Relative humidity: 5% to 95% noncondensing , BUT Singapore humidity relative humidity often reaches 100 %.

This means that in SG humidity, esp. during monsoon season, our iphones 3G and 3GS LSI could be triggered, thereby voiding our warranty.

My plea is simple, using the iphone in SG can easily cause our Iphone warranty to be voided because of the humid climate, Apple and Singtel could you please recognise this and devise a better LSI and/or at least honor our warranty since you are selling in this region.

I've seen some users complain in HWZ about warranty unfairly rejected because of LSI activated and I'm pretty sure there are more. There are around 100,000 official iphone users in SG apparently.
This affects iphone 3GS too btw (same environmental specs) and maybe even Mac users (Unibodys all have LSI too).

Suggestions and actions to raise awareness to this issue are greatly appreciated. Thank you!
Maybe you would like to highlight this to the newspaper.

You can email this guy, kennyc@sph.com.sg from mypaper or at http://tnp.sg/

Last edited by novatliz; 08-07-2009 at 03:00 PM..
novatliz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 02:58 PM   #7

AppleCare will still be voided. Wasting another $99
nannoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 02:59 PM   #8

but if got AppleCare, the LSI is activated, can claim for warranty? I thought it'll be void though.
magicoconut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 03:02 PM   #9

but if got AppleCare, the LSI is activated, can claim for warranty? I thought it'll be void though.
yes it will be voided since warranty doesn't cover water damage...
xeRiCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 03:09 PM   #10
Supremacy Member

where to see the Liquid Submersion Indicator(LSI)? i cant find at the bottom of my phone...
GY_Ren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 03:12 PM   #11
Master Member

now we need a air tight case for iphone.
Old 08-07-2009, 03:13 PM   #12

located at the base of the headphone jack.
Pixelmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 03:16 PM   #13
Arch-Supremacy Member

Or you can stick a silica gel pack to the iphone
Old 08-07-2009, 03:17 PM   #14
Supremacy Member

Applecare voided? Hmmmm.. Damn..

But still, don't pocket it cos sometimes when the weather is hot, moisture can be bulit up inside. I will usually holster my phones because I learnt my mistakes liao. Not saying that it affects everyone but I'm sure someone will agree with me that they have the same issue.
deep3lue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 03:21 PM   #15
Arch-Supremacy Member

would it be good to take the apple care then? it seems kinda of risky with this LSI problem and the yellowish tint on the screen prob... wat's ur take guys?
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.