anyhowsaysay

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
From news today,

seems more steam coming out

http://www3.nhk.or.jp/news/html/20150504/k10010069931000.html

So now cannot enter the Owakudani and buy the black onsen eggs

*Update (6th May)
Volcano alert level upgraded to Level 2. Highly advise not to approach the crater due to higher risk of potential eruption

*Update (30th June)
Now upgraded to Level 3 which is do not approach Volcano instead of Crater.

Last edited:

Panzerf

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
saw some lava flowing out from one of the ustream feed at night. Not sure if this is the mountain on ustream.

arhjaye

Reaction score
I read somewhere yesterday saying that the cable car and shops are still running as per norm. Only the trekking areas are closed off .

purpleberry

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I read somewhere yesterday saying that the cable car and shops are still running as per norm. Only the trekking areas are closed off .

It'll be a very nervous ride as the cable car goes right above it.

anyhowsaysay

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
TOKYO (AFP) - Japan's meteorological agency on Tuesday issued a warning to limit access to the popular hot springs resort of Hakone after a nearby volcano became active and began belching steaming gas.

Two minor quakes measuring magnitude 2.0 and 2.4 were recorded Tuesday morning at the volcano, southwest of Tokyo, the agency reported.

"Activity at Hakone... is in a state of uncertainty," the agency said in an advisory.

"There is a possibility that a minor eruption may suddenly occur," it said. "Please do not enter dangerous zones."

- See more at: http://www.straitstimes.com/news/as...s-resort-hakone-20150505#sthash.2vMSbgAh.dpuf

purpleberry

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
The ST article seems to say that all Hakone ryokans (with onsens) are in particular danger? Or just limited to Owakudani?

DailyRoutine

Reaction score
i think i will check with japanican again.

but it seems their T&C states that there is strictly no refunds.
if there's natural disasters, they will just change the itinerary to another destination.

darkmatt

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I was just there last winter.. and even then, the smoke and sulphur smell was very strong...

nofearck

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
oh no! i am going there next week! mount fuji side can still go??

anyhowsaysay

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
気象庁は6日、火山性地震が増加しているとして、箱根山(神奈川、静岡県)の噴火警戒レベルを1(平常)から2(火口周辺規制)に引き上げた。同日午前6時すぎ、火口周辺警報を発表した。気象庁は現地調査で、大涌(おおわく)谷の温泉施設で蒸気が勢いよく噴出しているのを確認。「今後、大涌谷周辺に影響を及ぼす小規模な噴火が発生する可能性がある」としている。

同庁によると、箱根山の火山性地震は4月26~30日に67回を観測し、5月1日には2回に減ったが、2日以降は再び増加。5日には、箱根湯本で震度1の地震を3回観測した。

同庁は、小規模噴火に伴って飛散する大きな噴石に警戒するとともに、大涌谷周辺には立ち入らないよう呼びかけている。

神奈川県箱根町は火山活動の活発化に伴い、ハイキングコースなどの一部を閉鎖していた。

http://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20150506-00000506-san-soci

Now threat level escalated to Level 2. (Do not approach crater, a bit risky now)

DailyRoutine

Reaction score
i contacted Japanican and here's their reply:

Thank you for your inquiry.

Japan's meteorological agency on Tuesday (May 5) issued a warning to limit access to the popular hot springs resort of Hakone after a nearby volcano became active and began belching steaming gas.

Two minor quakes measuring magnitude 2.0 and 2.4 were recorded on Tuesday morning at the volcano, southwest of Tokyo, the agency reported.
The agency has kept its volcanic eruption threat level at 1 (normal), however, saying there are no signs of impending volcanic eruptions, including steam explosions.
However, no abnormalities in volcanic gas have been seen, and the nearby roads and rope-way are open as usual.

purpleberry

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hmm "limit access"... how vague can that be.

Now the threat has been increased to level 2 btw.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.