Cheapest singapore bank to send money to japan bank account?

Sausage

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone had any experience with this? I want to send a small amount (18000y) to a bank account in Japan. How does it work?

Do we tell the bank that we want the destination account to have 18000y, or is there some other way to convert?

DBS looks like it has the cheapest rates, but what is a Tracer?

DBS cahrges
Cable/telex charges S$20
Handling Commission S$5 for debiting amount equal to or below S$5,000;
Agent Bank Charges Where applicable
Tracer S$20 per transaction

lapucelle

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
do note that the account on the Japanese side has to have applied to receive foreign remittance. there is also a min amount for certain banks (30K).

jep

Reaction score
By the way when u transfer thro' bank, pls factor in some admin charges.

Becos a KL fren remits money to me but I din get full amount. By right I must get S$xx as I help her buy some items. Dun know why her bank never inform her there r admin charges involved. In the end they deduct admin charges from my S$xx. Quite pissed off.

If u can, dun go thro' bank. Try using western union. The only troublesome part is the receiver must go to Japan branch western union to collect the money. But at least u know they won't deduct money for admin charges as they would hv total in already when u make the payment.

Last edited:

Sausage

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
what were your admin charges like
for dbs there is option to charge admin charge to you or to receipient

lillyelf

Reaction score
While you can pay the sending charges on your side, the Japanese bank may take a huge chunk of cash as admin fees for receiving money.

The amount charged depends on the bank. SMBC (and most of the other big banks), for example, charges 1500 yen + 0.05% of the amount remitted (min 2500 yen). In other words, if you send 18000 yen, only 14000 yen will reach the other party's account.

Not sure about JP Post Bank, but what I heard is that JP Post can't receive overseas funds directly so they will go through an intermediary bank. You'll have to pay charges for that, but no idea how much that will be.

ZenMAKER

Reaction score
Have you found a cheper way to send Then? I was thinking of Western Union but my fren in Miyazaki said Then nearest WU branch is in Fukuoka
But the agent also told her I could send via WU to her bank acount, except SingPost WU Service does not have that

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.