Dress code for Tokyo weather?

kifo

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Whoever is coming here and reading this, please keep in mind that people here in Japan are dressed more warmly than what you are reading here. I live in Kyoto and I am wearing heat tech base layer, a flannel shirt and Uniqlo UL down jacket now walking outside. Likewise I have heat tech bottoms under normal long pants. My colleagues are all dressed about the same. It is hovering around 5-6 deg when going home so it will be crazy to wear any lesser.

Last edited:

Entropy

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Whoever is coming here and reading this, please keep in mind that people here in Japan are dressed more warmly than what you are reading here. I live in Kyoto and I am wearing heat tech base layer, a flannel shirt and Uniqlo UL down jacket now walking outside. Likewise I have heat tech bottoms under normal long pants. My colleagues are all dressed about the same. It is hovering around 5-6 deg when going home so it will be crazy to wear any lesser.

Are you saying the rest of us have never been to Japan and we're just speculating?

:s22:

Crescy

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
1st time in cold country when was in japan earlier this year.
1-4 degrees in kyoto. the cold was still ok.. wear only a uniqlo heat tech inner wear + fleece jacket. my body still can tahan the cold.

its my face cannot take it. after blowing the cold wind for 2 days, i finally know why locals there wear masks.
my lips cracked, cheeks were red and "cold-burnt"..

wearing the mask is also quite comfy.. the warm breath that circulate inside the mask is quite shiok in the cold weather.. :s13:

can buy from all convenient stores in japan.

Gixxerfied

Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Are you saying the rest of us have never been to Japan and we're just speculating?

:s22:

I guess he's saying the fashion there during season is rather fix..while sinkie go there as tourist more chin chai?

Ruriel

Arch-Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score

Different people have different cold tolerance.

I would still suggest not to overpack if one doesn't know his/her cold tolerance. Bring basic layers, and just buy more at uniqlo in Japan if needed.

I brought only jeans to Japan last December, but the wind was too cold and I just popped into Uniqlo to buy their heattech leggings. I didn't bring any windbreaker (really didn't expect Shinjuku to be so windy), so I just bought one blocktech jacket at Shinjuku's Uniqlo too. I was actually fine in Shirakawa-go (it's snowing but it's not windy) and Kyoto, but Shinjuku's wind really is no horse run. Especially around the train station... :s22:

Entropy

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I guess he's saying the fashion there during season is rather fix..while sinkie go there as tourist more chin chai?

Japanese do overheat their indoors though and prob dress more heavy. Though I still see lots of girls wearing flare skirts without stockings in Dec and Feb outdoors. Just watching them makes me feel cold LOL.

MajiMax

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
5deg ~ 15deg usually I just wear jeans for bottom, cotton long sleeve and windbreaker for top.

Only time I wear gloves and uniqlo heattech inners is at Hokkaido where temp was sub degree.

TS in SG at office aircon place, you can wear t-shirt or polo tee without additional jacket? If you cannot, probably you can get uniqlo heattech for additional layers.

MajiMax

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Japanese do overheat their indoors though and prob dress more heavy. Though I still see lots of girls wearing flare skirts without stockings in Dec and Feb outdoors. Just watching them makes me feel cold LOL.

They wear those invisible stocking.

Japanese girl that I asked before, their thinking is wear while they have the youth to do so, cause next time cannot wear once they pass the age. :s22:

nez

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
5deg ~ 15deg usually I just wear jeans for bottom, cotton long sleeve and windbreaker for top.

Only time I wear gloves and uniqlo heattech inners is at Hokkaido where temp was sub degree.

TS in SG at office aircon place, you can wear t-shirt or polo tee without additional jacket? If you cannot, probably you can get uniqlo heattech for additional layers.
Normally wear fleece jacket in office. I withstand heat better than cold.

nez

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
1st time in cold country when was in japan earlier this year.
1-4 degrees in kyoto. the cold was still ok.. wear only a uniqlo heat tech inner wear + fleece jacket. my body still can tahan the cold.

its my face cannot take it. after blowing the cold wind for 2 days, i finally know why locals there wear masks.
my lips cracked, cheeks were red and "cold-burnt"..

wearing the mask is also quite comfy.. the warm breath that circulate inside the mask is quite shiok in the cold weather.. :s13:

can buy from all convenient stores in japan.

I was also advise to wear a mask there by my Wife's boss who is in Tokyo now.

nez

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Have pack a down jacket. But no wind breaker. Will north face in Japan be cheaper? Perhaps I want to get there instead of here.

Ruriel

Arch-Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Have pack a down jacket. But no wind breaker. Will north face in Japan be cheaper? Perhaps I want to get there instead of here.

Uniqlo pocketable windbreaker will do. I think it's $39.90 (can't rem if its promo price or regular price). It looks extremely thin but it's very efficient in blocking wind. Very compact as well. You just need to pair it with a heat retaining jacket like fleece. If you already wearing fleece in normal aircon conditions, you'll probably need heattech beneath the layers.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.