HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Gears for Winter Hokkaido

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 20-07-2015, 02:10 PM   #1

Gears for Winter Hokkaido

Hi guys,

Will like to seek your advise Hokkaido Winter preparation in terms of footwear.
So far we have experience with 0-10 degrees with sneakers and proper layering of clothes like Uniqlo heat tech, fleece pullover.

Biggest concern will be waterproofing of shoes and non slipped.
I was wondering if anyone can advise if timberland boots are good enough.

Thinking of getting their 6inch Premium leather boots classical version. Waterproofing and insulation but was wondering if it will be enough if we plan to ski and winter zoo for the penguin March.

For hard shell I am looking at brand like Patagonia and Columbia.
Any recommendation for shops in Singapore that might have better pricing and selection. Last resort will be to buy online.

Planning to visit during Feb next year for 2 weeks.
Still waiting for promotional flights.
Intention will be Tokyo to restock and Hokkiado for R&R.

Anyone has experience driving during winter in Hokkaido? Is their in car GPS reliable or it's better to stick with public transport.

Appreciate if you can shared ur view.

Last edited by lunatic_tokyo; 20-07-2015 at 02:14 PM..
lunatic_tokyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2015, 03:12 PM   #2
Arch-Supremacy Member

timberland boots are good enough. in fact locals just wear sneakers. its the socks that are more important if you are afraid of the cold.

for hard shell, i recommend you look at oakley vault, the online outlet store for oakley. however they do not accept orders from foreign cards, i usually use the buy for me service of hopshopgo.com. they had additional 50% off all snow gear just the week before crazy good deal for those outer, gloves and the such. you might want to subscribe to their mailing list.

with regards to driving in winter hokkaido, it is seriously not advisable. even locals often get into accident driving on those icy road let alone foreigners
weixiang80 likes this.
angcsbenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2015, 05:24 PM   #3
Arch-Supremacy Member

If you intend to during snow festival period, beginning of this August you can make hotel reservation. Cheaper accommodation near train station gonna get full easily.

Taking ANA, round trip to sapporo, fare was around 900 bucks, few months back I booked.
Am going next feb for snow festival.

Last edited by MajiMax; 20-07-2015 at 05:27 PM..
MajiMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2015, 06:14 PM   #4
Master Member

cheapest is buy online. next cheapest is buy in Tokyo. most expensive is buy in SG.

And Patagonia stuff are not cheap unless they are having a sale.
kifo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2015, 08:56 PM   #5
Arch-Supremacy Member

cheapest is buy online. next cheapest is buy in Tokyo. most expensive is buy in SG.

just to add on. if buying in japan, it is also much cheaper to buy online compared to in shops. but u need to know some japanese.
Old 20-07-2015, 10:33 PM   #6

timberland boots are good enough. in fact locals just wear sneakers. its the socks that are more important if you are afraid of the cold.

for hard shell, i recommend you look at oakley vault, the online outlet store for oakley. however they do not accept orders from foreign cards, i usually use the buy for me service of hopshopgo.com. they had additional 50% off all snow gear just the week before crazy good deal for those outer, gloves and the such. you might want to subscribe to their mailing list.

with regards to driving in winter hokkaido, it is seriously not advisable. even locals often get into accident driving on those icy road let alone foreigners
Hi Benny, thanks I was not aware of Oakley as good choice for winter gears. I guess I have missed a major sales. Will keep a lookout for the next promo.
As you mention getting in Japan will be a good choice, which particular brand did you get or recommend worth getting?

Currently checking out online thou, language wise will not be an issue so appreciate if you can intro certain japanese good buys website.

If you intend to during snow festival period, beginning of this August you can make hotel reservation. Cheaper accommodation near train station gonna get full easily.

Taking ANA, round trip to sapporo, fare was around 900 bucks, few months back I booked.
Am going next feb for snow festival.

Hey MajiMax, I believe ur gig at the Sapporo snow festival for ice sculptures wohoo we are targeting that period too. Anywhere wise will you be visiting? Do you mind sharing or recommend which hotels will you be staying? I am thinking of covering from East to West if possible. Either fly in from Tokyo or direct to Hokkaido then vice verse.

Hey Kifo, I am looking at Patagonia or Columbia due to its value for money as compare to bigger brand. Still wondering finding webpage that do shipping to SG
Old 20-07-2015, 11:10 PM   #7
Master Member

Never seen a patagonia product on sale on Amazon (or at least those that are worth getting). I have ordered from Backcountry and Amazon for outdoor products before.

I suggest you look at more discount friendly brands like Outdoor Research and Marmot.
kifo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2015, 08:46 AM   #8
Arch-Supremacy Member

Hi Benny, thanks I was not aware of Oakley as good choice for winter gears. I guess I have missed a major sales. Will keep a lookout for the next promo.
As you mention getting in Japan will be a good choice, which particular brand did you get or recommend worth getting?

Currently checking out online thou, language wise will not be an issue so appreciate if you can intro certain japanese good buys website.
If you are heading to tokyo first, you can go to jimbocho to browse and try sizes then after that go search on rakuten or amazon. there is no jap online shop that i usually browse but i search for items i saw offline and realize the price to be much cheaper as compared to offline

Old 21-07-2015, 09:45 AM   #9
Arch-Supremacy Member

Hey Kifo, I am looking at Patagonia or Columbia due to its value for money as compare to bigger brand. Still wondering finding webpage that do shipping to SG

if u are buying Columbia in sg, look out for World of Sports sale. sometimes they have 50% off for old models
Old 21-07-2015, 05:28 PM   #10

Hi

will it be enough just for 4/5 days winter experience in hokkaido..children cannot be
absent from school..so go during cny...
clarisocean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2015, 05:37 PM   #11
Master Member

The classic Timberland yellow boots!

Water proof is important... i wore the Radler camp boots, was ok but cannot withstand the icy pavements, boots got wet and toes frozed. But wife was on timberland yellow boots and can even jump into the snow on the sidewalks....

The weather is v harsh in Feb, even in Otaru, we don our ski wear as the wind blows like mad. Go get the Ski wear from Jimbocho, definitely helps as the snow will keep falling on ur head

Prepare for some delays or cancellation in Sapporo though :p
weixiang80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2015, 05:41 PM   #12
Arch-Supremacy Member

If you just wanna see snow festival, stick to Sapporo and otaru, 4/5 days should be fine.
Old 21-07-2015, 05:54 PM   #13

If you just wanna see snow festival, stick to Sapporo and otaru, 4/5 days should be fine.

Thanks majimax
clarisocean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2015, 12:47 AM   #14

If you are heading to tokyo first, you can go to jimbocho to browse and try sizes then after that go search on rakuten or amazon. there is no jap online shop that i usually browse but i search for items i saw offline and realize the price to be much cheaper as compared to offline

Hi Benny, thanks for the map guide ! Correct me if I am wrong so base on the map, the ski/winter gears are between Jinbocho machi and Ogawamachi area right. Still pending if I should drop by Tokyo first to restock or leave it to the last league. Tokyo intention was to stock up on products p and now there is another reason to consider.

Can't imagine need to bring 10+ pairs of wool socks, clothes etc during winter trip...

if u are buying Columbia in sg, look out for World of Sports sale. sometimes they have 50% off for old models
Hi evilerniex, Columbia was on our list as SO feels some of their design looks alright. While I am more concern for value = functionality. Since we still have time, will start to stalk World of sports ^^
The classic Timberland yellow boots!

Water proof is important... i wore the Radler camp boots, was ok but cannot withstand the icy pavements, boots got wet and toes frozed. But wife was on timberland yellow boots and can even jump into the snow on the sidewalks....

The weather is v harsh in Feb, even in Otaru, we don our ski wear as the wind blows like mad. Go get the Ski wear from Jimbocho, definitely helps as the snow will keep falling on ur head

Prepare for some delays or cancellation in Sapporo though :p
Hey wei xiang, Yes it's the classic Premium Yellow 6inch Yellow Boots! I was sold when the salesman let me try its anti fatigue insole! But I was initially sceptical of its snow/waterproof capability, have this thought of sure bo leather can withstand snow? Did ur wifey try it during skiing?

Hi MajiMax, we are still waiting for good tickets pricing but planning to start from Utoro and end at Hakodate. 3-4 days Tokyo and 8-9days Hokkaido. Will that be sufficient for Hokkaido winter?
Visiting the winter zoo, skiing, ice fishing, Shiroikoibito etc. Mainly for photography and food trip. Any advise if it's feasible. Will share the draft itinerary once done. Thanks
Old 22-07-2015, 06:07 AM   #15
Arch-Supremacy Member

What's is your good ticket price range? You using which place as your base accommodation to travel those places you mentioned?
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.