Hokkaido Winter Itinerary (February 2018)

loftystew

Master Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Intending to go Hokkaido for snowboarding and winter festivals in February next year and finally took the time to come up with an actual itinerary. I have never snowboard before.

image.jpg

Planning to make Sapporo my base for about week and do day trip to both Asahikawa and Otaru.

How much do you think I should cater for meals? Is S$20 dollars per meal sufficient (About 60 dollars a day)?

For JR trains, I'm planning to get the flexible 4 days JR Hokkaido pass and use it to cover traveling to Asahikawa, Hakodate, Noboribetsu and back to New Chitose Airport. The rest of the short traveling (lower cost fares after checking out expedia) between cities will be individual tickets.

After budgeting everything, it seems that this trip will set me back, approximately, at about 4 - 4.5K. :eek:

Would appreciate some help from the gurus here on giving me some advises on maximizing the experience of my trip and the potential pitfalls to avoid.

Thanks. :s12:

Last edited:

James Tang

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Just my 2 cents:

Nice itinerary overall.

1. How come you allocated so many days in Sapporo? Minus off the 2 days for Otaru and Asahikawa, you still have 5 more solely in Sapporo.NIght is not a problem looking on what you have planned. How about during the days?

2. For meals, SGD60 should be sufficient only if you really can control what you want to eat. For me, I allocate SGD100 per person per day and we still went over the budget. Anyway, generally:

- Bfast: under SGD8
- Lunch: around SGD10-15
- Dinner: around SGD10-20 You still have snacks in between. This is just 'normal' days haha

3. For Hakodate, should be very beautiful during winter. How about Jyujikai? That area is interesting

loftystew

Master Member
Reaction score
Just my 2 cents:

Nice itinerary overall.

1. How come you allocated so many days in Sapporo? Minus off the 2 days for Otaru and Asahikawa, you still have 5 more solely in Sapporo.NIght is not a problem looking on what you have planned. How about during the days?

2. For meals, SGD60 should be sufficient only if you really can control what you want to eat. For me, I allocate SGD100 per person per day and we still went over the budget. Anyway, generally:

- Bfast: under SGD8
- Lunch: around SGD10-15
- Dinner: around SGD10-20 You still have snacks in between. This is just 'normal' days haha

3. For Hakodate, should be very beautiful during winter. How about Jyujikai? That area is interesting

Yea, kinda feel I've allocated too many days for Sapporo. I, myself, is also not sure what should I do for the day. Was thinking maybe I should just cut off 2 days and arrive at 5th Feb instead of 3th Feb.

As for meals, I guess I have to up my budget to 100 just in case.

Thanks for suggesting Jyujikai. I can't seems to find information on google about that place though.

thwysg

Reaction score
Yea, kinda feel I've allocated too many days for Sapporo. I, myself, is also not sure what should I do for the day. Was thinking maybe I should just cut off 2 days and arrive at 5th Feb instead of 3th Feb.

Thanks for suggesting Jyujikai. I can't seems to find information on google about that place though.

Are you visiting the nearby resorts to ski/snowboard from Sapporo? Since you have more days, you could always go for 2D snowboarding. Or how about snowshoeing or snow activities in Asahikawa?

Just to share some of the places that I've shortlisted to visit during that week in Sapporo (I'll be in Hokkaido as well):
- Sapporo Snow Festival
- Mt. Moiwa Ropeway
- Shiroi Koibito Park
- Susukino + Ramen Yokocho
- Tanukikoji
- Nijo Market
- Curb Market
- Hokkaido University
- Sapporo Beer Museum factory tour
- Shikotsu-ko Snow Festival

http://www.snowjapan.com/japan-ski-resorts/town/sapporo

James Tang

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Paiseh: Jujigai

https://www.google.com.sg/search?q=...h9arVAhWKurwKHTvSA-EQBQghKAA&biw=1329&bih=677

From my 2012 Travel report:

http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/japan-271/[trip-report]-hokkaido-2012-james-tang-3953952-6.html

wongkc

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
You can take take this route

Asahikawa > Sapporo > Otaru > Noboribetsu > Niseko > Hakodate

Take flight into Asahikawa airport and leave by Hakodate airport or vice versa...

No need to back track to Chitose...

jaysontanqy

Reaction score
i'm traveling to Hokkaido this december and yet to plan my itinerary yet. Any good advices?

Also, will it be a good time to drive around Hokkaido in december?

wongkc

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i'm traveling to Hokkaido this december and yet to plan my itinerary yet. Any good advices?

Also, will it be a good time to drive around Hokkaido in december?

Plenty of sample itinerary here... just have to scroll a bit...

all depends on what you want? sight seeing? shopping? skiing? eating?

as for driving... i had posted the below sometime back...

-----------------------------------------------------------------

I've been driving for 20yrs and had some light winter driving in Euro before. Even i find it difficult to drive in Hokkaido during winter. Basically you need to adjust your driving habits there.

1. No sudden start/stop. Always accelerate/decelerate slowly.
2. Take note of the stop line by the side of the road coz the stop line will be covered in snow.
3. No sudden turning of direction.
4. On highways, the road will be uneven due to the amount of snow and the path that most vehicles take will have less snow. This will make a hump of snow between lanes. Need to take note of these humps when overtaking as it will make you skid and spin.
5. Always bring your wipers up after parking in outdoors so that the wiper will not be trap in snow the next morning.
6. Everything will be whitish and strained your eyes. Take frequent break to relax your eyes.
7. If the car does fogs up. You either switch on the defogger or lower slightly ur windows to equalize the temperature.
8. Try to rent a 4 wheel drive car instead.
9. Take note of the arrows pointing downwards from those lamp post lookalike posts. Those are curb indicators.
10. Always get additional insurance. Some can cover 1 time damage with no charges.
11. Japanese are very polite and honest pple. If you knocked into a stationary car and the owner is not around, call the car rental for advice. There might be pple around who knows the owner and makes a police report if u run away. Do not hit and run.
12. Winter nights are very short. It gets dark around 4-5pm. Try not to plan ultra long driving trips.

drive safe and have fun... overall a very good experience though...

loftystew

Master Member
Reaction score
Thanks all for your suggestions.

Are you visiting the nearby resorts to ski/snowboard from Sapporo? Since you have more days, you could always go for 2D snowboarding. Or how about snowshoeing or snow activities in Asahikawa?

Just to share some of the places that I've shortlisted to visit during that week in Sapporo (I'll be in Hokkaido as well):
- Sapporo Snow Festival
- Mt. Moiwa Ropeway
- Shiroi Koibito Park
- Susukino + Ramen Yokocho
- Tanukikoji
- Nijo Market
- Curb Market
- Hokkaido University
- Sapporo Beer Museum factory tour
- Shikotsu-ko Snow Festival

http://www.snowjapan.com/japan-ski-resorts/town/sapporo

Great! Will definitely add Mt. Moiwa, Ramen Yokocho, Tanukikoji, Curb Market and Nijo Market to my itinerary.

Not too sure about Hokkaido University though. I believe you are talking about their botanic garden? Would it be worth visiting during winter season?

As for Shikotsu-ko Snow Festival, looks great but would be inaccessible for me since I will not be driving. Especially not in the winter. :(

I actually went to Hokkaido once with a tour group and been to this place in Hakodate before. Was during my free and easy time that I decided to roam off from Red Brick Warehouse and entered this area. Didn't know it's called Jujigai.

Of course, I didn't thoroughly investigated the area out. I would definitely do so on my upcoming trip. Thanks for your recommendation.

You can take take this route

Asahikawa > Sapporo > Otaru > Noboribetsu > Niseko > Hakodate

Take flight into Asahikawa airport and leave by Hakodate airport or vice versa...

No need to back track to Chitose...

Thanks. Would have consider this if not for the snow festivals and I would like to use the extra days to explore Sapporo.

not visiting tomamu ?

The hotel price is :eek: compared to staying in Niseko but would consider this if going with my family. Looks like a great place to go with family.

Last edited:

thwysg

Reaction score
Actually there's buses to Shikotsu-ko Snow Festival (January to mid February) from Sapporo (only for those who are staying at the onsen resorts). More direct bus services (55min from the airport) if you traveled down to New Chitose Airport. I won't be driving too so it's all public transport. Fireworks only on weekends and public holidays.

Last edited:

loftystew

Master Member
Reaction score
BTW, I read online that suica is usable on all JR trains, Sapporo subway trains and buses.

Can I get this card at the airport?

loftystew

Master Member
Reaction score
Actually there's buses to Shikotsu-ko Snow Festival (January to mid February) from Sapporo (only for those who are staying at the onsen resorts). More direct bus services (55min from the airport) if you traveled down to New Chitose Airport. I won't be driving too so it's all public transport. Fireworks only on weekends and public holidays.

Hmm.. I should explore on how to get there via new chitose then. Thanks for telling me this.

thwysg

Reaction score
BTW, I read online that suica is usable on all JR trains, Sapporo subway trains and buses.

Can I get this card at the airport?

Suica is only available in Kanto. You'll get Kitaca in Hokkaido instead. It's another IC card too. Not to be used in Shinkansen.

http://www2.jrhokkaido.co.jp/global/english/kitaca/

jaysontanqy

Reaction score
Plenty of sample itinerary here... just have to scroll a bit...

all depends on what you want? sight seeing? shopping? skiing? eating?

as for driving... i had posted the below sometime back...

-----------------------------------------------------------------

I've been driving for 20yrs and had some light winter driving in Euro before. Even i find it difficult to drive in Hokkaido during winter. Basically you need to adjust your driving habits there.

1. No sudden start/stop. Always accelerate/decelerate slowly.
2. Take note of the stop line by the side of the road coz the stop line will be covered in snow.
3. No sudden turning of direction.
4. On highways, the road will be uneven due to the amount of snow and the path that most vehicles take will have less snow. This will make a hump of snow between lanes. Need to take note of these humps when overtaking as it will make you skid and spin.
5. Always bring your wipers up after parking in outdoors so that the wiper will not be trap in snow the next morning.
6. Everything will be whitish and strained your eyes. Take frequent break to relax your eyes.
7. If the car does fogs up. You either switch on the defogger or lower slightly ur windows to equalize the temperature.
8. Try to rent a 4 wheel drive car instead.
9. Take note of the arrows pointing downwards from those lamp post lookalike posts. Those are curb indicators.
10. Always get additional insurance. Some can cover 1 time damage with no charges.
11. Japanese are very polite and honest pple. If you knocked into a stationary car and the owner is not around, call the car rental for advice. There might be pple around who knows the owner and makes a police report if u run away. Do not hit and run.
12. Winter nights are very short. It gets dark around 4-5pm. Try not to plan ultra long driving trips.

drive safe and have fun... overall a very good experience though...

Wow, thanks!

Sounds like a hassle to drive :(

powerpack8

Reaction score
Thinking to visit Sapporo during winter festival too, what airline are you planning to take? :)

loftystew

Master Member
Reaction score
Thinking to visit Sapporo during winter festival too, what airline are you planning to take? :)

You better act fast if you have yet booked your airline and hotels.

Almost no more decent hotels and departure/arrival air tickets left. Pretty much only left either ANA or JAL for me.

My plan pretty much went south as a friend of my friend is still delaying at this point of time (we had began talking about this back in April) and unable to commit. Hotels in Noboribetsu is pretty much fully booked, other than the damn expensive ones when I last checked yesterday.

I think I'm gonna shelve this itinerary for the year after next and change the upcoming trip to May for the cherry blossoms and travel with my family instead.

Yea, as you can see I'm quite pissed off here... Luckily the itinerary is still kinda reusable for May else all the effort is wasted. Haiz...

Last edited:

thwysg

Reaction score
You better act fast if you have yet booked your airline and hotels.

Almost no more decent hotels and departure/arrival air tickets left. Pretty much only left either ANA or JAL for me.

My plan pretty much went south as a friend of my friend is still delaying at this point of time (we had began talking about this back in April) and unable to commit. Hotels in Noboribetsu is pretty much fully booked, other than the damn expensive ones when I last checked yesterday.

I think I'm gonna shelve this itinerary for the year after next and change the upcoming trip to May for the cherry blossoms and travel with my family instead.

Yea, as you can see I'm quite pissed off here... Luckily the itinerary is still kinda reusable for May else all the effort is wasted. Haiz...

Actually many hotels are still not opening the dates yet. So still have time.

loftystew

Master Member
Reaction score
Actually many hotels are still not opening the dates yet. So still have time.

Hotels can still make do, just whether is it convenient or good nia, but what's the norm for air tickets? Seems like all the good timing is being snapped up fast.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.