Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Japan food thread

Like Tree30Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 21-08-2008, 10:38 PM   #1
Master Member

Japan food thread

heyyyyyyyyy !

with all the attention given to food , i seriously think food should be given a thread of its own.
afterall, eating is singapore's national pastime and japanese food is generally really good. hard to find a sub par restaurant

here's my contribution to start things off.

the best sushi in the world. well maybe not in terms of taste, maybe even texture (but i think it'd be hard to dispute that) but in freshness (unless u eat it straight away after catching it) its definitely the best.

introducing, SUSHI FROM TSUKIJI !

before you even eat. u must queue. its almost like a japanese national pastime. queuing. queue at train stations, queue at tokyo disneyland, queues everywhere. just a little reminder every now and then that japan is still the most densely populated country in the world.

queuing at tsukiji

look at the menu while queuing

step one : getting super fresh tuna fresh from the auctions.

step two : cutting the super fresh tuna. i am not too sure of the name for it but i think he's cutting the maguro (fatty part of tuna)

step 3 : make sushi

step 4 : enjoy the sushi.

Last edited by stars87; 21-08-2008 at 11:30 PM..
stars87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2008, 11:25 PM   #2
Master Member

wa.. i always cannot find this restaurant leh.. how to find this shop? Always have to eat another one.. can tell me directions . Thanks a bunch!
droozy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2008, 11:33 PM   #3
Master Member

wa.. i always cannot find this restaurant leh.. how to find this shop? Always have to eat another one.. can tell me directions . Thanks a bunch!
eh ? i really really dont know.

all i know its in tsukiji and the queue isnt that long. my buddies and me wandered in via tokyo metro subway line (ginza line i think) then we wandered into tsukiji and looked around and we picked this.
Old 21-08-2008, 11:53 PM   #4
High Supremacy Member

hehe since we are on sushi, i think otaru is a fantastic place to eat sashimi. there is this small street just on the left of the otaru station filled with fish stalls. the meat is freshly caught and the scallop you see in the photo is still moving in the bowl you can also select the crab or any other meat outside and they will prepare for you.

DarthKool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2008, 12:16 AM   #5

wow!~ makes me hungry. the sashimi and sushi looks sooo fresh and delicious!~ i wanna go try too.

anyone tried having dinner at onsen ryokans? I love how they serve the food there. This was taken at senami onsen ryokan at niigata. Really nice place, people were so friendly! I tried this special asahi beer which was made locally.

Onsen dinner set

Ice melted a bit cos i was late for dinner

Crab!~

Loved it. I wanna go onsens again!

Last edited by panDaz; 22-08-2008 at 12:19 AM..
panDaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2008, 12:25 AM   #6

Melon so sweet, every bite feels like you are having a sore throat, the sweetness burns!

Old 22-08-2008, 12:37 AM   #7
Arch-Supremacy Member

Everything looks.. very.. e x p e n s i v e. I spend about 300yen for dinner only. Usually.
Old 22-08-2008, 12:51 AM   #8

ehh.. share some tips leh.. i going to Japan soon for a year, wanna save as much as possible.. how u spend only 300yen?
Old 22-08-2008, 12:59 AM   #9
High Supremacy Member

Everything looks.. very.. e x p e n s i v e. I spend about 300yen for dinner only. Usually.
wah how you do it one ... i go conbini buy bento also exceed 300 liao go japan must enjoy mah.. if not the trip wasted
DarthKool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2008, 02:41 AM   #10
Master Member

This is the most famous shop there ! Da shou shi .

eh ? i really really dont know.

all i know its in tsukiji and the queue isnt that long. my buddies and me wandered in via tokyo metro subway line (ginza line i think) then we wandered into tsukiji and looked around and we picked this.
droozy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2008, 07:12 AM   #11
Arch-Supremacy Member

wa see all this already will hungry
Theonestop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2008, 09:13 AM   #12

The more famous sushi places in Tsukiji are Edogin and Sushi Dai, but the usually are quite crowded. However, the other restuarants are not too bad either so there really is no loss if you try other restaurants besides the 2 above.

======================

For the best tonkatsu places ...

Tonki at Meguro

or

Maison at Aoyama or various other branches (http://mai-sen.com/shop/h_shop.html)

http://mai-sen.com/

go to the maisen website, sure to make yr mouth water

There's a Maisen in
Tokyo: in Daimaru department store which is at JR Tokyo station.
Shibuya: in Tokyu Toyoko department store which is at JR Shibuya station.
samshio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2008, 09:24 AM   #13
Arch-Supremacy Member

wah how you do it one ... i go conbini buy bento also exceed 300 liao go japan must enjoy mah.. if not the trip wasted
Ah... I wait for 30% or 1/2 price lor. I am staying in Japan. You also?
Old 22-08-2008, 10:30 AM   #14
Master Member

> 300 yen food = curry rice !

i just LOOOVE japanese curry rice. totally unlike anything else in the world. psuedo fusion food ? anyway. its just simply fabulous over there. its amazing how with variation in just curry and ingredients, u can come up with a 20 dish ++ menu of food. wonderful.

when i was there for cherry blossom season earlier this year, all the beef bowl chain shoppes were having a price slugging war.

yoshinoya big bowl was something like 350 yen. the others were like 290 yen , 200 +. their big bowl is really big.

i like the big bowl beef then u order a raw egg separately and put the raw egg on the beef bowl to cool the food down. nice too. absolutely fantastic.

eating at singapore yoshinoya and japanese yoshinoya is a TOTALLY different experience all together.
Old 22-08-2008, 10:59 AM   #15

Yeah! Yoshinoya is different from Singapore. I didnt see chicken there! MOS burger is more or less the same. I tried the curry rice in Japan, somehow I feel it taste like those curry sold in Japanese food stalls
germz is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.