Japan Sample Itinerary thread

Sauron

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Traveling to Japan from 3 - 15 Nov with family (2 adults and 2 kids aged 5 and 2).
Flying in and out Tokyo and thinking to visit another city.
Can anyone suggest / share your itinerary? Also, what is the best option for staying connected to the internet while in Japan -- roaming, buying a local SIM, or renting a mobile wifi device?
Thank you everyone!
For mobile wifi device, do note changi wifi has a 500mb daily high speed cap. After hitting cap , speed is painfully slow.

mimicoco77

Reaction score
Dept this sat.. solo, 7d in outskirts of Tokyo .. my it rather complex but staying in cabsule hotel

cyprusblade

Reaction score
Havent been to these places but wow...the itinerary seems super packed!

Are u sure u can do all that?
Eg on 5th, go to zoo, gardens n 2 more places in one day
Sorry for delayed response. Was running back to back events 2 weekends at work.

Amended itinerary:
5-Oct Fukuoka Kushida Shine, Canal City Hakata
6-Oct Nagasaki Atomic bomb museum, Glover Garden, Gunkanjima boat tour (optional),Mt. Inasayama (night view)
7-Oct Nagasaki Nagasaki Seaside Park (optional), Shinchi Chinatown, Hamamachi Shopping Arcade, Sasebo (optional)
8-Oct Kumamoto Kumamoto Castle & Sakura no baba Josaien, Suizenji Jojuen Garden
9-Oct Kagoshima Sengan-en Garden, Megane-Bashi, Suwa Shrine, Matsumori Tenmangu Shrine, AMU Plaza Kagoshima (optional)
10-Oct Beppu, Oita Rakutenchi Zekkei no, Mount Tsurumi & Beppu Ropewa, Beppu Jigoku Meguri
11-Oct Yufuin Hot spring yufuin, Kinrinki lake, Yufuin Floral Village
12-Oct Kitakyushu Shimonoseki (optional), Kokura Castle (optional),Tanga Ichiba Market, The outlet kitakyushu
13-Oct Fukuoka Fukuoka Zoo & Botanical Gardens
14-Oct Fukuoka Itoshima
15-Oct Fukuoka Ohori Park, Fukuoka Castle, Tochi-ji, Acros Fukuoka, Soymilk café toffee park, Kego shrine, Maizuru park (optional), Nishi park (optional)
16-Oct Fukuoka teamLab Fukuoka
17-Oct Fukuoka R&R, flight home

concreteman

Reaction score
Sorry for delayed response. Was running back to back events 2 weekends at work.

Amended itinerary:
6-Oct Nagasaki Atomic bomb museum, Glover Garden, Gunkanjima boat tour (optional),Mt. Inasayama (night view)
7-Oct Nagasaki Nagasaki Seaside Park (optional), Shinchi Chinatown, Hamamachi Shopping Arcade, Sasebo (optional)
8-Oct Kumamoto Kumamoto Castle & Sakura no baba Josaien, Suizenji Jojuen Garden
9-Oct Kagoshima Sengan-en Garden, Megane-Bashi, Suwa Shrine, Matsumori Tenmangu Shrine, AMU Plaza Kagoshima (optional)
10-Oct Beppu, Oita Rakutenchi Zekkei no, Mount Tsurumi & Beppu Ropewa, Beppu Jigoku Meguri
11-Oct Yufuin Hot spring yufuin, Kinrinki lake, Yufuin Floral Village
12-Oct Kitakyushu Shimonoseki (optional), Kokura Castle (optional),Tanga Ichiba Market, The outlet kitakyushu
14-Oct Fukuoka Itoshima
15-Oct Fukuoka Ohori Park, Fukuoka Castle, Tochi-ji, Acros Fukuoka, Soymilk café toffee park, Kego shrine, Maizuru park (optional), Nishi park (optional)
just to check are you driving ? this is a very packed schedule for the other towns ... the kagoshima to beppu part is a long travel ...

Panerex

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi All - kindly seek your feedback and advice for this plan for mid Dec travelling >>>>

Am thinking of buying JR Kansai – Hiroshima Pass (5-Days) and then Kansai Area Pass (5-Days).
Do you all feel it is appropriate planning? Do I need to get more other Passes, such as Suica?

Much thanks.

Day 1 : Arrive in KIX at 9pm, transfer to Kyoto (travel using JR Kansai – Hiroshima Pass Day 1) - 1st night in Kyoto

Day 2 : Nara & Todai-ji Temple, Nishiki Food Market (travel to these locations using JR Kansai – Hiroshima Pass Day 2) . Return to Kyoto for 2nd night

Day 3: Hiroshima & Miyajima (travel to these locations using JR Kansai via Nozomi train – Hiroshima Pass Day 3). Return to Kyoto for 3rd night.

Day 4: Himeiji Castle, Kobe (travel to these locations using JR Kansai – Hiroshima Pass Day 4). Return to Kyoto for 4th night.

Day 5: Arashiyama Bamboo Park, Togetsukyo Bridge, Sagano Romantic Train (down the Hozu River), Tenryu-ji Temple (travel to these locations using JR Kansai – Hiroshima Pass Day 5). Return to Kyoto for 5th night.

Day 6: Fushimi Inari, Kinkaku-ji, Gion Corner (travel to these locations using Kansai Area Pass Day 1). Return to Kyoto for 6th night.

Day 7: Travel to OSAKA, Tenjinbashi-suji Shopping Street, Kuromon Ichiba Market (travel to these locations using Kansai Area Pass Day 2). Return to Osaka for 1st night.

Day 8: USJ (travel there using Kansai Area Pass Day 3). Return to Osaka for 2nd night.

Day 9: Osaka Castle, Dotonbori, Shinsaibashi (travel to these locations using Kansai Area Pass Day 4). Return to Osaka for 3rd night.

Day 10: Final exploration in Osaka. After dinner, depart to KIX for 11.20pm flight (travel to airport using Kansai Area Pass Day 5)

MajiMax

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi All - kindly seek your feedback and advice for this plan for mid Dec travelling >>>>

Am thinking of buying JR Kansai – Hiroshima Pass (5-Days) and then Kansai Area Pass (5-Days).
Do you all feel it is appropriate planning? Do I need to get more other Passes, such as Suica?
Kansai Area Pass is capped at 4-days, not 5-days.

JR Kansai Wide Area Pass then is 5-days.

Your itinerary won't breakeven if you were to get JR Kansai Wide Area Pass.

I don't think you needed any rail pass for 2nd leg of your trip.

To save some $, you can get this to get to KIX airport. https://www.klook.com/en-SG/activity/18400-jr-haruka-airport-express-train-tickets-osaka/

For Day 9, you already visited a much better original castle (Himeji) on Day 4, why you still wanna visit a reconstructed castle (Osaka), can go somewhere else instead.

Last edited:

Panerex

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Kansai Area Pass is capped at 4-days, not 5-days.

JR Kansai Wide Area Pass then is 5-days.

Your itinerary won't breakeven if you were to get JR Kansai Wide Area Pass.

I don't think you needed any rail pass for 2nd leg of your trip.

To save some $, you can get this to get to KIX airport. https://www.klook.com/en-SG/activity/18400-jr-haruka-airport-express-train-tickets-osaka/

For Day 9, you already visited a much better original castle (Himeji) on Day 4, why you still wanna visit a reconstructed castle (Osaka), can go somewhere else instead.

thanks for info and advice.

when you mention 2nd leg, are you referring to Day 6 onwards?

I am also wondering for the travel from Kyoto to Osaka, if I don’t use a train pass, what would be a cost efficient way to travel?

TIA

MajiMax

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

hkchew03

Reaction score
thanks for info and advice.

when you mention 2nd leg, are you referring to Day 6 onwards?

I am also wondering for the travel from Kyoto to Osaka, if I don’t use a train pass, what would be a cost efficient way to travel?

TIA
Hard to make those JR pass worthwhile. Had used Kansai Area Pass before, very limited due to it not being 4 full day of train. You are given 1 day voucher for each train system making traveling choice extremely limited. ie, 1 day keihan, 1day subway etc. Doubt I barely breakeven even with the Haruka ride from KIX to Kyoto.
But if you are travelling in Osaka, Osaka Amazing pass is pretty good, $36 for 2 days with access to Osaka metro and many attraction.

cyprusblade

Reaction score
just to check are you driving ? this is a very packed schedule for the other towns ... the kagoshima to beppu part is a long travel ...
Nope JR pass.

Thanks for letting me know it's packed so we listed some places as optional. Will re-look at itinerary. Where should i skip.....clueless

Last edited:

concreteman

Reaction score
Nope JR pass.

Thanks for letting me know it's packed so we listed some places as optional. Will re-look at itinerary. Where should i skip.....clueless

you will need to swoop 13-15th in fukuoka with the 10-12th in beppu/oita area as you will travel back to fukuoka from kagoshima via shinkansen. You can also do kumanoto as a daytrip since u have the jr pass via shinkansen.

cyprusblade

Reaction score
you will need to swoop 13-15th in fukuoka with the 10-12th in beppu/oita area as you will travel back to fukuoka from kagoshima via shinkansen. You can also do kumanoto as a daytrip since u have the jr pass via shinkansen.
I'm confused about this. Do i activate the pass on 6 Oct to go Nagasaki or is there some other way I can go to nagasaki.

My original intent was:
5-Oct Fukuoka
6-Oct Nagasaki (JR Pass day 1)
7-Oct Nagasaki (JR Pass day 2)
8-Oct Kumamoto (JR Pass day 3)
9-Oct Kagoshima (JR Pass day 4)
10-Oct Beppu, Oita (JR Pass day 5)
11-Oct Yufuin (JR Pass day 6)
12-Oct Kitakyushu (Kokura) (JR Pass day 7) Can I use JR pass for this leg
13-Oct Fukuoka
14-Oct Fukuoka
15-Oct Fukuoka
16-Oct Fukuoka
17-Oct Fukuoka

Last edited:

s7460597

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Much thanks.

Day 1 : Arrive in KIX at 9pm, transfer to Kyoto (travel using JR Kansai – Hiroshima Pass Day 1) - 1st night in Kyoto

Day 2 : Nara & Todai-ji Temple, Nishiki Food Market (travel to these locations using JR Kansai – Hiroshima Pass Day 2) . Return to Kyoto for 2nd night

Day 3: Hiroshima & Miyajima (travel to these locations using JR Kansai via Nozomi train – Hiroshima Pass Day 3). Return to Kyoto for 3rd night.

Day 4: Himeiji Castle, Kobe (travel to these locations using JR Kansai – Hiroshima Pass Day 4). Return to Kyoto for 4th night.

Day 5: Arashiyama Bamboo Park, Togetsukyo Bridge, Sagano Romantic Train (down the Hozu River), Tenryu-ji Temple (travel to these locations using JR Kansai – Hiroshima Pass Day 5). Return to Kyoto for 5th night.

Day 6: Fushimi Inari, Kinkaku-ji, Gion Corner (travel to these locations using Kansai Area Pass Day 1). Return to Kyoto for 6th night.

Day 7: Travel to OSAKA, Tenjinbashi-suji Shopping Street, Kuromon Ichiba Market (travel to these locations using Kansai Area Pass Day 2). Return to Osaka for 1st night.

Day 8: USJ (travel there using Kansai Area Pass Day 3). Return to Osaka for 2nd night.

Day 9: Osaka Castle, Dotonbori, Shinsaibashi (travel to these locations using Kansai Area Pass Day 4). Return to Osaka for 3rd night.

Day 10: Final exploration in Osaka. After dinner, depart to KIX for 11.20pm flight (travel to airport using Kansai Area Pass Day 5)
Day 6 kinkaku-ji isn't near Fushimi inari and Gion. Think you should replace with kiyomizu-dera.

Day 3 just be aware nishiki operating hours.

hkchew03

Reaction score
Day 6 kinkaku-ji isn't near Fushimi inari and Gion. Think you should replace with kiyomizu-dera.

Day 3 just be aware nishiki operating hours.
All 3 places ain't exactly near, but should be very doable within a day unless he is going to climb the whole Fushimi Inari, beside Gion is still great if not best to walk around at night.

concreteman

Reaction score
I'm confused about this. Do i activate the pass on 6 Oct to go Nagasaki or is there some other way I can go to nagasaki.

My original intent was:
5-Oct Fukuoka
6-Oct Nagasaki (JR Pass day 1)
7-Oct Nagasaki (JR Pass day 2)
8-Oct Kumamoto (JR Pass day 3)
9-Oct Kagoshima (JR Pass day 4)
10-Oct Beppu, Oita (JR Pass day 5)
11-Oct Yufuin (JR Pass day 6)
12-Oct Kitakyushu (Kokura) (JR Pass day 7) Can I use JR pass for this leg
13-Oct Fukuoka
14-Oct Fukuoka
15-Oct Fukuoka
16-Oct Fukuoka
17-Oct Fukuoka

Day 3 - skip kumamoto and go straight to kagoshima
Day 5/6 - Take note You will be spending around 5 hours travelling when you go from kagoshima - fukuoka - yufuin/beppu. Choose either one to stay for the 2 days.

cyprusblade

Reaction score
Day 3 - skip kumamoto and go straight to kagoshima
Day 5/6 - Take note You will be spending around 5 hours travelling when you go from kagoshima - fukuoka - yufuin/beppu. Choose either one to stay for the 2 days.
Friend would rather give up Nagasaki :p

Do you think this is a more doable route:
6-Oct Kumamoto (JR Pass day 1) Kumamoto Castle & Sakura no baba Josaien, Suizenji Jojuen Garden
7-Oct Kagoshima (JR Pass day 2) Sengan-en Garden, Megane-Bashi, Suwa Shrine
8-Oct Kagoshima (JR Pass day 3) Matsumori Tenmangu Shrine, AMU Plaza Kagoshima (optional)
9-Oct Beppu, Oita (JR Pass day 4) Rakutenchi Zekkei no, Mount Tsurumi
10-Oct Beppu, Oita (JR Pass day 5) Beppu Ropewa, Beppu Jigoku Meguri
11-Oct Yufuin (JR Pass day 6) Hot spring yufuin, Kinrinki lake, Yufuin Floral Village
12-Oct Kitakyushu (Kokura) (JR Pass day 7) Shimonoseki (optional), Kokura Castle (optional), Tanga Ichiba Market, The outlet kitakyushu
14-Oct Fukuoka Itoshima

ahbear82

Reaction score
hi, i am planning japan Tokyo trip, ard 14 days, probably from end March to April'24.
One of the things that we plan to do will be seeing the Sakura.

Other than Tokyo? what other places we can go if we want to splt into 3 different hotel?
Can anyone share their itinerary?

Panerex

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
All 3 places ain't exactly near, but should be very doable within a day unless he is going to climb the whole Fushimi Inari, beside Gion is still great if not best to walk around at night.
Not planning to climb the whole Fushimi as I will have a primary school child with me.

thanks for advice

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.