M1 Data Passport

anyhowsaysay

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I used Softbank LTE last year when i was travelling in japan for over 20+ days. It was much much much much better than what i am receiving via Starhub in Singapore.

I got the unlimited plan which i paid over $10 per day so i can surf youtube etc and steam HD hahah

xtwis7

Arch-Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Used in Tokyo, Osaka and Kyoto without any issues. Just make sure you deactivate the data roaming cap alert and also to deactivate after coming back since its a monthly charge.

Pros are don't need to change sim card, use immediately once touch down,using of existing local data is probably the best benefit.

Only can choose one provider but to me buying a prepaid card also the same, if the provider not good you can't change.

hgkiaboon

Reaction score
why skype/youtube/whatnot while on holiday? :s11:

leave the cybersex for when you're back in the hotel and feeling lonely+randy, no? ;)

xtwis7

Arch-Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
why skype/youtube/whatnot while on holiday? :s11:

leave the cybersex for when you're back in the hotel and feeling lonely+randy, no? ;)

Exactly. At places where you need Skype, it's most likely going to be hotel. And you telling me you need YouTube for a short break at a cafe or while eating? Might as well don't go holiday.

Crexzz

Master Member
Reaction score
Exactly. At places where you need Skype, it's most likely going to be hotel. And you telling me you need YouTube for a short break at a cafe or while eating? Might as well don't go holiday.

duh.......... usage pattern is subjective.... if you enjoy eating fish, doesn't mean others cannot dislike fish.......

darkmatt

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

you tube on a long train ride?

cpuer

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
if scared of boredom during long train journey it's better to keep a few movies or books in your phone/tablet rather than streaming YouTube etc. For me i usually busily planning/adjusting my next itinerary, checking out on stops or just staring out the windows to take in the sights.

stars87

Master Member
Reaction score
Fully agree with cpuer. It's up to you and how you wanna surf.

Not everyone is on m1

Doesn't make sense once u have more than one person with multiple devices. Thetering drains battery too.

I would buy prepaid cards if I didn't have my mifi to use. Usually as a solo traveler, my consumption is quite low. Not exceeding 200mb a day.

That's why I think it's about the price point and requirements. If I can provide a device at a sufficient price point, with sufficient service . why not ?

hgkiaboon

Reaction score
if travelling to kyoto/osaka/tokyo there's wifi at pretty much every train station. some require emailing an address to get a login id/pw beforehand (ie JR osaka), so just do it in sg before heading to jp.

kyoto subway has wifi on station platforms/in trains as well.

stars87

Master Member
Reaction score
normal speed. I tether to tablet also not bad. tether is more ur wifi or usb issue........

bro possible to advise ?

have read elsewhere that sometimes iphones are blocked from tethering

i have a softbank 305SH sharp that cannot enable tethering without a separate softbank pin.

did you use it with an iphone ?

hkwaycc

Reaction score
Hi,

After activated Data Passport, do my phone need to change any settings? Like enable Data Roaming and select Telco or so.

Or I can just immediately use as per in Singapore when I reached the destination?

Thanks.

Crexzz

Master Member
Reaction score
Hi,

After activated Data Passport, do my phone need to change any settings? Like enable Data Roaming and select Telco or so.

Or I can just immediately use as per in Singapore when I reached the destination?

Thanks.

Yes, you need to set m1 partners' network as preferred network and turn off automatic network selection mode.

m1 does have the network lock service you'll be able to activate once you're subscribed to the service. But even with the network lock service, you'll still need to go thru the settings alteration.

Once you touch down, turn on the phone and search for network operator and select Softbank as your preferred connection. Rest will be auto.

But what i know is only base on what i've read from m1 site, i could be wrong.

https://www.m1.com.sg/Personal/RoamingAndInternationalCalls/GoingOverseas/DataRoaming/ActivateAndDeactivateNetworkLock

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.