Onomichi & Iwakuni

saffronsatire

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Onomichi
Plan to do a bit of the Temple Walk then head to Ropeway - Senkoji Park. Is it obvious how to get up there? Any signs? Limited info on Japan Guide.

Will head back to Hiroshima and shop around Hondori Street after that. Is it too much time allocated? I've been to Hiroshima before and visited the castle.

Kintai-kyo Bridge
Where is the bus stop at Iwakuni station located? Afraid that I can't located the bus stop when heading there and going back. I checked the cab fare and it seems to be 20+sgd from either Shin-Iwakuni or Iwankuni station but I only have 2 pax, so find it a bit steep.

Thanks all.

evilerniex

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Iirc, the bus stop is just in front of the station. Shld be quite obvious coz there are many domestic tourist heading to kintaikyo also

Wat time u planning to reach hondori? I think there main thing there is the okonomiyaki village. Shopping wise i rather shop ard Hiroshima station

saffronsatire

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Iirc, the bus stop is just in front of the station. Shld be quite obvious coz there are many domestic tourist heading to kintaikyo also

Wat time u planning to reach hondori? I think there main thing there is the okonomiyaki village. Shopping wise i rather shop ard Hiroshima station

I'm not sure how much time i'll take at the temple walk and ropeway but not planning to spend too long there, then lunch before going back to Hiroshima station.

My hotel is near Hiroshima station, so if it's better for shopping, I could do that too. I've been to part of the Hondori shopping arcade previously but not the Okonomiyaki village specifically though I ate Okonomoyaki at one of the restaurants.

evilerniex

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure how much time i'll take at the temple walk and ropeway but not planning to spend too long there, then lunch before going back to Hiroshima station.

My hotel is near Hiroshima station, so if it's better for shopping, I could do that too. I've been to part of the Hondori shopping arcade previously but not the Okonomiyaki village specifically though I ate Okonomoyaki at one of the restaurants.
If u are back in Hiroshima city early, can explore the city a bit. Walk up hijiyama and visit the museum there as well as the manga library. Take the escalator down the other side of hijiyama and go shop at Saty department store. Then maybe drop by madza stadium on the way back to hiroshima Station

saffronsatire

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
If u are back in Hiroshima city early, can explore the city a bit. Walk up hijiyama and visit the museum there as well as the manga library. Take the escalator down the other side of hijiyama and go shop at Saty department store. Then maybe drop by madza stadium on the way back to hiroshima Station

Thanks, not interested in the mazda stadium but the rest sound interesting.

saffronsatire

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Do you feel Miyajima is worth visiting twice? I'm not very confident of Onomichi, it does seems like out of the beaten path.

Previously stayed overnight on Miyajima and have visited the various sites and also went up Mount Misen via cablecar / ropeway. Not keen on hiking.

Some awful things happened, don't have the energy to change my itinerary too much. Those two days are based in Hiroshima. If I don't do Onomichi, can't decide which other city to swop to.

tkk97

Master Member
Reaction score
Do you feel Miyajima is worth visiting twice? I'm not very confident of Onomichi, it does seems like out of the beaten path.

haha, I intend to camp Miyajima for two nights prior head down to Fukuoka. It will be more fun to walk and camp the 70km Shimanami Kaido stretch.

:s12:

evilerniex

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Previously stayed overnight on Miyajima and have visited the various sites and also went up Mount Misen via cablecar / ropeway. Not keen on hiking.

Some awful things happened, don't have the energy to change my itinerary too much. Those two days are based in Hiroshima. If I don't do Onomichi, can't decide which other city to swop to.
Since u already been to miyajima, then maybe explore other places?
Onomichi is probably more known for being the starting town for shimanami kaido.
Even if u dun plan to cycle, maybe can take a bus and visit some of the islands and bridges that make up shimanami kaido. Then take a ferry back to onomichi. But I have only done a small part of the kaido from the imabari end, so not too sure abt onomichi

saffronsatire

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
haha, I intend to camp Miyajima for two nights prior head down to Fukuoka. It will be more fun to walk and camp the 70km Shimanami Kaido stretch.

Camp as in camping? Yes, I'm also headed to Fukuoka and Nagasaki after Hiroshima.

thwysg

Reaction score
Onomichi is probably more known for being the starting town for shimanami kaido.
Even if u dun plan to cycle, maybe can take a bus and visit some of the islands and bridges that make up shimanami kaido. Then take a ferry back to onomichi. But I have only done a small part of the kaido from the imabari end, so not too sure abt onomichi

Actually can do a walking course. And I'm thinking maybe I could do that and just stay overnight in one of the minshukus along the way. The mister said I was crazy to do a road march. :s22:
https://setouchifinder.com/en/detail/653

tkk97

Master Member
Reaction score
Camp as in camping? Yes, I'm also headed to Fukuoka and Nagasaki after Hiroshima.

Holy ****, I am doing the same rough it out walk cum tento for my first quarter of my new henro Kyuhru 108 temples. Will head back Shikoku beginning Dec via Oita Beppu ferry to Ehime.

Have Fun Bro :D

Last edited:

saffronsatire

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Missed your reply, i had the idea it's mostly for cycling. I can't cycle haha. Will look up further.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.