Car Rental Jeju [Help]

grasscut

Reaction score
how much roughly a day for car rental?

It depends on what type of car you rent, mine was KIA Morning. roughly about 50 SGD a day. you can check out their link for the price. do remember to sign up for an account to enjoy member price.

HQW7890

Reaction score
Hi, just to share my experience in Jeju. Prior to my arrival in Jeju, I signed up for membership for KT Kumho with my IDL no.

I was there in Jeju from 8-9 Nov (2 days). Went to the office and showed passport and IDP only. No SG license was required from them. I got my SG license on March 2013. Rented KIA Morning (Red colour) for $47,400 KRW for 34 hours and opt for non smoking car, so less $3,000 KRW.. Got myself full coverage for insurance at $19,200 KRW. Egg unit (portable wifi) is free. In total for car rental I spent $63,600 KRW. Used up 18 litres of gasoline and spent $30,000 KRW to top it up full upon returning.

KIA morning is suitable for couple travel as well as to manoeuvre through small streets where we managed to discover some very nice makan places (fresh seafood and black bbq pork). The roads in Jeju are not very wide actually in my opinion. Advantage of having a rented car is that we can put our luggage at the back seats and drove off to the places of attractions without coming back to Jeju city. One disadvantage of KIA morning is that it doesn't have enough horsepower when going up slope. It was abit slow.

For a while, I had some issue in using the signalling lever as it was on my left hand side. Used to having it in the right hand side in SG. I also got honked by a taxi to make way despite stopping at the red light. Later then i realised that there was an ambulance further behind us which wanted to make a right turn. I also got myself a few scratches on my front right light and bumper. No idea where i got it from. But as I got full insurance coverage, I returned the car in peace. ^^ Overall, driving in Jeju is fun and highly recommended.
Hello, sorry ah I know this is like donkey years back but I'm having the same situation as you uh. I got license but <1 year. KT Kumho got bought over by Lotte Rent A Car eh. Do you think I can still rent a car with a license <1 year via big companies or you got any rental car companies that close eye on <1 year license mah? Currently searching for rental car companies hoping you can help since you've went through it.

Or if possible can anyone advise what's the process like? Cause if they do not check SG license and soley just IDP should be fine right?

Last edited:

Hisashiburi

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hello, sorry ah I know this is like donkey years back but I'm having the same situation as you uh. I got license but <1 year. KT Kumho got bought over by Lotte Rent A Car eh. Do you think I can still rent a car with a license <1 year via big companies or you got any rental car companies that close eye on <1 year license mah? Currently searching for rental car companies hoping you can help since you've went through it.

Or if possible can anyone advise what's the process like? Cause if they do not check SG license and soley just IDP should be fine right?
I had problems with car license less than 1 year old.

Mine was korean license with less than 1 year and had to show them sg license.

Not sure if idp alone would be valid

chehjin

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

IDP is actually a translation of ur existing license. When u get it u will understand what I mean. It itself is not a license.

HQW7890

Reaction score
IDP is actually a translation of ur existing license. When u get it u will understand what I mean. It itself is not a license.
I haven’t went to AA to make one yet but read on forum pages that some of these rental companies only check IDP and Passport, sg license never check so <1 year exp technically also can drive. To my understanding IDP doesn’t show sg license date obtained am I right?

chehjin

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I haven’t went to AA to make one yet but read on forum pages that some of these rental companies only check IDP and Passport, sg license never check so <1 year exp technically also can drive. To my understanding IDP doesn’t show sg license date obtained am I right?
Cos the IDP is the direct translation. So for them it’s easier to read. Mine was done too long ago, I can’t remember about the date part.
For usual case the license date will affect the insurance excess. So I wouldn’t want to “hide” anything from them. If u get into an accident then it will become too messy. Better to be upfront with them about it and pay any extra fee if needed.

HQW7890

Reaction score
Cos the IDP is the direct translation. So for them it’s easier to read. Mine was done too long ago, I can’t remember about the date part.
For usual case the license date will affect the insurance excess. So I wouldn’t want to “hide” anything from them. If u get into an accident then it will become too messy. Better to be upfront with them about it and pay any extra fee if needed.
Yes definitely. Don’t get me wrong I’m not trying to hide the <1 year and wouldn’t mind paying extra fee for it but would like to know would most rental places be of open minded to P plate drivers. Thanks for the info too I really appreciate it, as I don’t travel often I really want to enjoy Jeju to its fullest hence wanting to rent a car

chehjin

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Yes definitely. Don’t get me wrong I’m not trying to hide the <1 year and wouldn’t mind paying extra fee for it but would like to know would most rental places be of open minded to P plate drivers. Thanks for the info too I really appreciate it, as I don’t travel often I really want to enjoy Jeju to its fullest hence wanting to rent a car
Usually those big firms like hertz should be okie with p plate drivers. Just they will either up the insurance fee or increase the excess.
Koreans are like the japs. Law by law.

Yes. Need to drive in jeju or get a driver. Else quite hard to go around.

HQW7890

Reaction score
Usually those big firms like hertz should be okie with p plate drivers. Just they will either up the insurance fee or increase the excess.
Koreans are like the japs. Law by law.

Yes. Need to drive in jeju or get a driver. Else quite hard to go around.
I know right HAHAHHA I was thinking like can’t be P plate drivers are completely not allowed to rent for 1 year hahaha. Please advise me on this, so in my situation I should make a reservation via emails and state that im a P plate instead of using their online booking right? They do state it’s non refundable if non-compliance to their requirements. And if so, is there any alternative way around debit instead of cc? Thank you for your time in replying ;_;

chehjin

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I know right HAHAHHA I was thinking like can’t be P plate drivers are completely not allowed to rent for 1 year hahaha. Please advise me on this, so in my situation I should make a reservation via emails and state that im a P plate instead of using their online booking right? They do state it’s non refundable if non-compliance to their requirements. And if so, is there any alternative way around debit instead of cc? Thank you for your time in replying ;_;
I did a quick check on lotte rental website. It seems for Korean driving license they do need at least 1 year driving experience. But they didn’t state for IDP. If u r worried, send them a email before u do any bookings.
Btw if u do manage to rent a car. Take it slow at the beginning. Cos it’s right hand drive. U need some time to get used to it.

HQW7890

Reaction score
I did a quick check on lotte rental website. It seems for Korean driving license they do need at least 1 year driving experience. But they didn’t state for IDP. If u r worried, send them a email before u do any bookings.
Btw if u do manage to rent a car. Take it slow at the beginning. Cos it’s right hand drive. U need some time to get used to it.
Ohhh yes yes i saw it too they state smth along the lines "Korean license or living in korea less than 1 year cannot rent" but for IDP they didn't state it. Yeppp i heard it's right-hand drive and even though its long empty road its 50km/hr. Very strict on driving rules.

Hisashiburi

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Driving in jeju really sucks.

- 50kmh speed limit on many roads
- Speed bumps everywhere
Lots n lots of speed bumps
- super windy
Don't get tiny cars.

On the plus side, not many traffic jams unlike in big city.

Korea/US are LHD cars
Uk/Sg are RHD cars

chehjin

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Ohhh yes yes i saw it too they state smth along the lines "Korean license or living in korea less than 1 year cannot rent" but for IDP they didn't state it. Yeppp i heard it's right-hand drive and even though its long empty road its 50km/hr. Very strict on driving rules.
Many speed cams. But there are highways too. Sometimes the gps will try to route the shortest route and go through mountain routes or small roads. It always better to try to use the high way.

wongkc

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Many speed cams. But there are highways too. Sometimes the gps will try to route the shortest route and go through mountain routes or small roads. It always better to try to use the high way.

Doe the GPS indicate which is highway? If not how to know which one to use?

chehjin

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Doe the GPS indicate which is highway? If not how to know which one to use?

i can’t remember but based on the route can tell. U need to familiarize with jeju road map once to get it. It will seem like a big detour but it’s confirmed faster. Cos no traffic lights and 90 speed limit if I remember correctly

wongkc

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i can’t remember but based on the route can tell. U need to familiarize with jeju road map once to get it. It will seem like a big detour but it’s confirmed faster. Cos no traffic lights and 90 speed limit if I remember correctly

Just to confirm... as a reference to google maps... those in yellow lines are the expressways right? even the one that go across and encompass Hallasan?

chehjin

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Just to confirm... as a reference to google maps... those in yellow lines are the expressways right? even the one that go across and encompass Hallasan?
Yes. But the 2 across hallasan pls dun use. Damn winding and slow. At night no lights somemore. For example. From airport to seogwipo use 1135 on left side of map.

hallasan route drive for fun to see scenery can la. When I drove that route once can see mouse deer and wild life by road side. But moving from place to place I won’t use it. The owner of the pension I stayed at, laughed when I told him I used that route to reach him.

Last edited:

wongkc

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Yes. But the 2 across hallasan pls dun use. Damn winding and slow. At night no lights somemore. For example. From airport to seogwipo use 1135 on left side of map.

hallasan route drive for fun to see scenery can la. When I drove that route once can see mouse deer and wild life by road side. But moving from place to place I won’t use it. The owner of the pension I stayed at, laughed when I told him I used that route to reach him.

Oh... ok... planned to use 1139 when i move from South to North as a scenic drive... trying our luck to see if there is snow since it is the highest road point in Jeju...

Thanks for the info...

HQW7890

Reaction score
Oh... ok... planned to use 1139 when i move from South to North as a scenic drive... trying our luck to see if there is snow since it is the highest road point in Jeju...

Thanks for the info...
Yep I plan to use Naver or KaoKao maps? Heard Google maps not good/accurate. Yesterday I read on Reddit that Lotte can just reserve and pay on the day itself. Or even walk in to the airport at Jeju to rent car. I don’t have a cc ah only debit haha.

chehjin

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Yep I plan to use Naver or KaoKao maps? Heard Google maps not good/accurate. Yesterday I read on Reddit that Lotte can just reserve and pay on the day itself. Or even walk in to the airport at Jeju to rent car. I don’t have a cc ah only debit haha.
their maps much better but it’s all in Korean. Last time at least. Now dunno got English translation already or not. Still best if u can get a English gps from
Car rental for the car and use ur phone as a backup option.
For jeju walk in to rent car is possible but there is a risk they run out of cars in the category u want. Especially for weekends or holiday period.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.