HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Skiing in Korea

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-12-2013, 10:51 AM   #1
Supremacy Member

Skiing in Korea

Hi, any recommendations on where to go skiing, cost, n how to book?
Middle-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 11:58 PM   #2
Supremacy Member

No one skied in Korea?
Old 11-12-2013, 08:28 AM   #3

Take package is better cos self book is not cheap...
tott_2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 08:52 AM   #4
Supremacy Member

Take package is better cos self book is not cheap...
O. I was thinking of self book. Cos package is so ex. Now contemplating if it's worth 160sgd for half a day of skiing exp

Last edited by Middle-C; 11-12-2013 at 10:00 AM..
Old 11-12-2013, 09:32 AM   #5
Arch-Supremacy Member

No one skied in Korea?
Skiied in YongPyong few years back. Stayed in YongPyong Tower Condo. Not cheap, per night is like 240+KRW (or more, can't remember exact). YongPyong is nice though. Most of the "more popular" ski resorts like YongPyong, Pheonix on-site accommodation are pretty expensive. By the way, since i have now been to both Hokkaido and YongPyong ski resort, I can only conclude that indeed Hokkaido snow quality is so much better; powdery soft. YongPyong snow is still on the hard side with much artificial snow and icy.

Last edited by asiafrenz; 11-12-2013 at 09:35 AM..
asiafrenz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 10:42 AM   #6
Supremacy Member

Will they provide u w jacket n pants? I'd if my top is sufficient to survive the cold n I'm wearing jeans. Not so waterproof...
Old 11-12-2013, 11:02 AM   #7
Arch-Supremacy Member

Will they provide u w jacket n pants? I'd if my top is sufficient to survive the cold n I'm wearing jeans. Not so waterproof...
Ski jacket and pant are never provided FOC at ski resorts AFAIK. You either rent from them or bring your own.

In Korea, I would definitely bring/rent a waterproof jacket and pant when skiing, the snow can turn wet if temp is not cold enough. If i remembered right, YongPyong can be very cold at minus 5 or even -10 degree, jean is definitely not sufficient, cold wind easily go through the jean and hit you hard, not advisable unless u really have a high tolerance for cold.

I bought my ski jacket and pant from the States (online) and it is definitely so much more comfortable when skiiing with them protecting you from the cold. With a proper ski jacket and pant, you need not layer too much underneath.
Old 11-12-2013, 11:11 AM   #8
Supremacy Member

Ski jacket and pant are never provided FOC at ski resorts AFAIK. You either rent from them or bring your own.

In Korea, I would definitely bring/rent a waterproof jacket and pant when skiing, the snow can turn wet if temp is not cold enough. If i remembered right, YongPyong can be very cold at minus 5 or even -10 degree, jean is definitely not sufficient, cold wind easily go through the jean and hit you hard, not advisable unless u really have a high tolerance for cold.

I bought my ski jacket and pant from the States (online) and it is definitely so much more comfortable when skiiing with them protecting you from the cold. With a proper ski jacket and pant, you need not layer too much underneath.
Ok. Will definitely rent them then. Cos I was wonder if I'm underdressed, would I just end up suffering there.
But what should I b booking? Transportation, lessons? Ski will definitely have enough right...
Old 11-12-2013, 11:23 AM   #9
Arch-Supremacy Member

Ok. Will definitely rent them then. Cos I was wonder if I'm underdressed, would I just end up suffering there.
But what should I b booking? Transportation, lessons? Ski will definitely have enough right...
If u don't go with package tour, then obviously u have to book everything yourself:

1) Transport (bus, train etc) to get u to the ski resort u r going.
2) Accommodation at ski resort if you intend to stay a few night. Book advance.
3) ski lesson, can enquire and book on that day itself
4) ski gear (jacket/pant/ski set) all rent on that day
5) ski lift ticket (if you ready to go up the mountain) can also buy on same day
Old 11-12-2013, 04:05 PM   #10

Hi there,
anyone know how to make a reservation for free shuttle bus for Bears Town Resort?
Martino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 04:22 PM   #11
High Supremacy Member

from all the other comments, this sounds complicated. i think since ur a newbie, just book a tour through some websites like viator or expedia or tripadvisor, the kind that doesn't include airfare, then during the tour, ask the guide on how to book everything.

next time u go again, u have everything u need.

pretty sure i've seen 2d1n and 3d2n ski tours that include transport from and to seoul.
consecutor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 09:15 AM   #12

Hi,

Sharing my experience. I am currently staying at Alpensia Ski Resort. Staying at the Holiday Inn Suites for the past few days. Booking for accomodations was made months ago (early birds promo). I did everything on my own, not as difficult as one thinks.

I took the express bus from the Dong Seoul Bus Terminal. Depending on which ski resort your are planning to go, you have take the correct bus to the town nearest to the resort.

As for the clothes, if you do not have any snow jackets and pants, you'll have to rent. Winter clothes you find in SG (Wintertime, Winnings, etc) are not meant for snow environment. Unless you invest on those meant for snow/alpine (North Face, Columbia, Marmot, Patagonia), you'll end up getting wet and cold. One of my son has a regular winter jacket and he was all soaking wet within 15 minutes and that made him miserable.

Skiing is not a cheap activity. Rental of skis/boots, jackets/pants and the biggest ticket item......ski lift pass will add up the cost real fast. Ski lesson, which is useful if you plan to ski down the slopes, are relatively expensive. You can opt for a group lesson or private ones. Advantage of group lesson is that it is cheaper, but you will not progress as much. Private lessons will be tailored according to how fast to attain the skills. Those ski lessons advertised as part of tour packages are just simple instructions on skills that you could have learned yourself. I spoke to some Singaporeans on such packages and they shared with me those sentiments. They also felt that, after seeing the beauty of snowfall at the resort, they wished they could stay longer. Most Singaporean I meet here just stay for 1 or 2 nights, and they are mostly with a tour packages. Bear in mind the travelling time to the different resorts varies from an hour to 3 hours, so staying just 1 night doesn't make it worthwhile in my opinion.

I am staying here for a week and the main objective is to be able to ski properly and confidently, so some of my views might not be applicable.

Cost Info.
1) Ski gear (jacket/pants) - 30000won/day/person
2) Ski & Boots - 37000won/day/adult and 28000won/day/child
3) Ski Lessons - 80000won/person for group or 240000won for 2 people private lessons.
4) Ski Lift pass - 80000won/adult and 60000won/child

Hope that helps.......

From,
Diveraz

P.S. It's 1000hrs here and the temperature is now at minus 9C.
SteveAu, Goliathius and consecutor like this.
Old 12-12-2013, 09:20 AM   #13

O. I was thinking of self book. Cos package is so ex. Now contemplating if it's worth 160sgd for half a day of skiing exp
It's only about $40 for the exact same thing if you DIY here. I presume this does not include lessons.
Old 12-12-2013, 09:37 AM   #14
High Supremacy Member

Hi,

Sharing my experience. I am currently staying at Alpensia Ski Resort. Staying at the Holiday Inn Suites for the past few days. Booking for accomodations was made months ago (early birds promo). I did everything on my own, not as difficult as one thinks.

I took the express bus from the Dong Seoul Bus Terminal. Depending on which ski resort your are planning to go, you have take the correct bus to the town nearest to the resort.

As for the clothes, if you do not have any snow jackets and pants, you'll have to rent. Winter clothes you find in SG (Wintertime, Winnings, etc) are not meant for snow environment. Unless you invest on those meant for snow/alpine (North Face, Columbia, Marmot, Patagonia), you'll end up getting wet and cold. One of my son has a regular winter jacket and he was all soaking wet within 15 minutes and that made him miserable.

Skiing is not a cheap activity. Rental of skis/boots, jackets/pants and the biggest ticket item......ski lift pass will add up the cost real fast. Ski lesson, which is useful if you plan to ski down the slopes, are relatively expensive. You can opt for a group lesson or private ones. Advantage of group lesson is that it is cheaper, but you will not progress as much. Private lessons will be tailored according to how fast to attain the skills. Those ski lessons advertised as part of tour packages are just simple instructions on skills that you could have learned yourself. I spoke to some Singaporeans on such packages and they shared with me those sentiments. They also felt that, after seeing the beauty of snowfall at the resort, they wished they could stay longer. Most Singaporean I meet here just stay for 1 or 2 nights, and they are mostly with a tour packages. Bear in mind the travelling time to the different resorts varies from an hour to 3 hours, so staying just 1 night doesn't make it worthwhile in my opinion.

I am staying here for a week and the main objective is to be able to ski properly and confidently, so some of my views might not be applicable.

Cost Info.
1) Ski gear (jacket/pants) - 30000won/day/person
2) Ski & Boots - 37000won/day/adult and 28000won/day/child
3) Ski Lessons - 80000won/person for group or 240000won for 2 people private lessons.
4) Ski Lift pass - 80000won/adult and 60000won/child

Hope that helps.......

From,
Diveraz

P.S. It's 1000hrs here and the temperature is now at minus 9C.
best comment here. im also thinking about skiing in korea next year, hence my interest in this. i was actually thinking about those short tours but it looks like i should consider the alternatives.

but im sure that there are waterproof winter jackets and pants in the department stores cos i've bought a few and tested them before, usually from OG. just got to ask the salespeople for waterproof ones.
consecutor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 10:00 AM   #15

best comment here. im also thinking about skiing in korea next year, hence my interest in this. i was actually thinking about those short tours but it looks like i should consider the alternatives.

but im sure that there are waterproof winter jackets and pants in the department stores cos i've bought a few and tested them before, usually from OG. just got to ask the salespeople for waterproof ones.
As long as they are waterproof, it's ok. Buy in Seoul.....way much cheaper and more options. They have a local brand called Nepa that is quite resonably priced but with the quality similar to North Face. There are a row of shops selling the higher quality (reasonable priced) winter/alpine gear at Namdaemun. Go via Hoehyeon Station exit 5 and just walk along the main street, you'll see the shops.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.