HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Best ramen in Singapore

Like Tree577Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-09-2006, 10:44 PM   #31
Arch-Supremacy Member

ichibantei and ichiban is not the same. ichibantei is @ robinson quey which is almost beside gallery hotel.

there's only one miharu which is located outside gallery hotel not city hall. the place is not tt hot to me.

anyone tried the one at..now i remember,grand plaza hotel.heard thats supposed to be the best here lei
Old 10-09-2006, 10:46 PM   #32
Arch-Supremacy Member

Different tolerance lah....but u really good... The level 6 is the most spicy stuff I ever had, maybe chung ching steamboat can fight with it.

Anyway just went to Miharu (again after reading this thread)....soup/noodle is very good but eat till the end find it a tad saltish. Chasiew is dissappointing though, comes in very large chunk so not soft enough. And the place is super hot (temperature), eat n sweat all over. But will go back again, just for the soup.

true lah...anyway i dun find chung ching's spicy lei.ya want real mala can try that famous one..forgot the name but its at bugis that side,think ya will know which one.

dun worry,im sure one of this day you will finish level 8 with ease .but everytime i order level 8 the staff sure ask me are you sure?or have you tried before.damn shiok
Old 15-09-2006, 01:08 PM   #33
Master Member

Anyway just went to Miharu (again after reading this thread)....soup/noodle is very good but eat till the end find it a tad saltish. Chasiew is dissappointing though, comes in very large chunk so not soft enough. And the place is super hot (temperature), eat n sweat all over. But will go back again, just for the soup.
I just went to Miharu and I tried the Miso ramen. As you reported, the soup is very good and the noodles were cooked to perfection - springy and smooth. I think the chashu is a disappointment. It is dry as the one in Ajisen. Does it means only Ohsho knows how to make a proper chashu in Singapore?

One thing I noticed on the menu is that they even have tsuke ramen. More a gimmick than anything?

kifo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2006, 09:32 PM   #34
Master Member

I just came back from Ichibantei. The place is much like a family restaurant and there are lots of family having their meals there. They have a variety of other food as well.

Well I tried their tonkotsu ramen which was not bad. I would rate it above Ajisen for sure. The soup was flavoursome but a tad too much MSG I think. The noodle was better than Ajisen, but I find it not as soft and springy as the one in Miharu. The chashu was pretty good this time, not as hard and dry as the ones in Ajisen and Miharu. Still if I want to be picky, I find that it crumbles too easily.

So my ratings:

MIHARU
soup:*** noodle:*** chashu:* egg:**

ICHIBANTEI
soup:** noodle:** chashu:** egg:**

OHSHO
soup:* noodle:** chashu:*** egg:**

AJISEN
soup:** noodle:* chashu:* egg:*

I shall revisit Noodle Shop Ken and Tampopo soon.
Old 17-09-2006, 12:52 PM   #35

My favourite one is Tanaka Ramen at Shaw Tower, Beach Road but it is gone now. If any knows if it has relocate, please pm me or share over here...;((
BenFong79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2006, 06:38 PM   #36

i tried tampopo @ liang court yesterday. service sucks and not prompt when i asked for my green tea refill cos they made me ask twice. my friend was having this red chilli spicy tonkotsu ramen but they forgot to add the chilli inside therefore it isnt even red. how can u **** such a thing up? server can even remark "they forgot to add the chilli for u huh?". wtf is "sorry"?

anyway the spicy tonkotsu is jus a gimmick, the only diff is tt u add red chilli flakes and replace the chasu with thin pork belly slices.

the good thing here is that the soup broth is not too salty and is v flavoursome. i wouldnt know how this compares to the one originated in japan tho for i have not been there before. but i can say for sure tt the chasu can fight with the one @ ohsho albeit it's slightly smaller but the meat is less tougher. the egg is damn well done.

the noodles... isnt really good. they r using the ajisen like spagetti noodles. but of cos the noodles here tastes much muc better than ajisen.

avoid the orange jelly dessert ($5 so ex) which basically tastes like orange jelly with chucks of orange pulps.
Old 23-09-2006, 09:49 PM   #37
Arch-Supremacy Member

Tried Ramen Ramen today at Rail Mall.. my first visit.

Will be my last.

If the quality has always been so, it's shockingly bad since there has been much talk about it when it first opened.

Noodle texture is bad.. Soup is lousy and grossly understaffed.
RSKeisuke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2006, 07:47 PM   #38
Master Member

When all else fails, or you are just a lazy bum, here is something that taste good and cheap...

Get it from Meidi-ya. Full of the MSG goodness! And a real change from local instant noodle!
Old 26-09-2006, 08:06 PM   #39

When all else fails, or you are just a lazy bum, here is something that taste good and cheap...

Get it from Meidi-ya. Full of the MSG goodness! And a real change from local instant noodle!
ill second tt. this instant tonkotsu ramen is quite some good ****. how u going get the chasu... i have no idea. u can add bean spouts, spring onions and the hard boiled egg (boil for not too long. needs practise).

but i disagree w/ something. it isnt cheap. a pack of say 5 cost 8 bucks? wtf for instant noodles.
Old 26-09-2006, 08:47 PM   #40
Master Member

well it is cheap for an Japan imported instant noodle
Old 26-09-2006, 09:35 PM   #41
Master Member

Haha I tried benpu over the weekend.

Level 6. Quite shiok, stomach was growling a bit after finishing everything up though. Sprite solved the problem though. I love spicy stuff, going to try level 8 next time. Shiok =D.
Ratix0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2006, 09:02 PM   #42
Master Member

Haha I tried benpu over the weekend.

Level 6. Quite shiok, stomach was growling a bit after finishing everything up though. Sprite solved the problem though. I love spicy stuff, going to try level 8 next time. Shiok =D.
Went Ichiban Tei today and ate the tonkatsu ramen....no fight wif Miharu imo.
Old 28-09-2006, 02:44 AM   #43
Master Member

I went to Noodle Shop Ken today and had their signature Aji Tama ramen. I must admit it is a lot of ramen for $12. The 2 slices of chashu was thick and generous (but I would prefer it marinated much better) and the noodles were generous. The noodles here have a different quality from those of Ohsho and Miharu. I still prefer how Miharu done it, but Ken really does have LOTS of noodle, so I won't argue with that. And most importantly, the tamago (egg) was superb. It was just done perfectly! Nothing compares to this! And there were garnishes of bamboo shoots, seaweed and more vegetables. The soup was just nice as well, neither too salty nor too watery.

The direct competitor to Ken is Ohsho which is just in the building across the street and the similar dish on their menu is the Tamago ramen. I think I prefer Ken's to Ohsho despite it being $2 more. The only regret in that case would then be in the gyoza, cos Ohsho is still better and they have a special sauce to go with it. So you have to decide if you like the ramen or the gyoza more?

And the rating:

Soup: *** Noodle: ** Chashu:*** (for size, ** for taste) Egg: ***

Ah yes Ichibantei is never as good as Miharu, but they has a bigger range of food if you have picky friends with you.

Last edited by kifo; 28-09-2006 at 03:07 AM..
Old 28-09-2006, 11:12 AM   #44

My two cents worth.

Ichibantei and Kado Men are worth trying out.
I would recommend Ken Noodle.
Beppu and Kyo Nichi arent exactly good.
Try Shimbashi Soba at Paragon. A tad expensive but the quality of their noodles is fantastic.
pyrrhous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2006, 12:43 PM   #45
Master Member

Where is this Ken Noodle located?
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.