HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Buffetlicious! - Part 3 (OT posts will be deleted/edited, repeat offenders will be Infracted)

Share This Page
HardwareZone.com on Facebook
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2011, 12:14 AM   #1756
Supremacy Member

I forgot to take pictures of alot of my meals... and sorry for the quality of some of the pics. Diddn't had the luxury of time to slowly take nice nice.
Old 10-04-2011, 12:15 AM   #1757

The blurry background is due to small aperture in use (lower F number) which resulted in narrower depth of field. For buffet you are right to said, no time to slowly position to shoot. Like what Toons said, I quickly shoot and move on to the next as there may be other diners waiting to get their foods. Beside, I want to settle down for my meal as quickly as possible and before anyone grab the best part of the dishes.

Click to join >> HWZ's Makan Session
Old 10-04-2011, 12:15 AM   #1758
Supremacy Member

elite guy with elite meals yet again!
my meals all cheap cheap one leh your meals all more elite than mine
Old 10-04-2011, 12:18 AM   #1759
Arch-Supremacy Member

elite guy with elite meals yet again!
Pot calling the kettle black!

My loves!!!

Lucky you remembered. I wait for your US trip food pics until neck long long liao.
Old 10-04-2011, 03:06 AM   #1760
Arch-Supremacy Member

The blurry background is due to small aperture in use (lower F number) which resulted in narrower depth of field.
Was reading your post, then it struck me tat this is precisely wats happening when i shoot with macro mode. The depth of field is much nearer, allowing me to focus on close objects. So i should be able to see the 'blurry background' effect on my macro shots. Went back to see n the effect is really there! Like in the shooter pic below, the plate and utensils behind the cup are indeed blurry in comparison to the contents of the shooter. Well, its not really tat obvious, but its there. So kewl

Twtan, thanks for the revelation. Hmmm, does this mean tat for cameras which you can adjust the aperture, you can achieve this 'blurry backgrd' even with subjects tat are further away, n not just with close subjects shot under macro mode?

Last edited by Toons; 10-04-2011 at 03:15 AM..
Old 10-04-2011, 03:07 AM   #1761
Arch-Supremacy Member

i think u overdid it... it's too bright and sharp until looks not so natural..

for eg the lamb shoulder... beef sirlion... and to certain extent the oysters... i feel kinda over-did with the brightening... and most other photos over-did with the sharpening...

most of all the photos... can see like even noise of the background have been enhanced so becomes fuzzy fuzzy de... twtan's photos on other hand... noise is at minimal...
Thanks for pointing out my mistakes. Now tat i relooked at the processed pics vs the origs, the prob is blindlingly obvious. I must be blind to miss it

Sometimes, less is indeed more ...

Took 2 samples n tried again. 1st processed pic vs orig vs retry attempt.

1st posted pic

Orig pic

Retry pic

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1st posted pic

Orig pic

Retry pic

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The retries are definitely better than the 1st attempts (not much of an achievement considering how bad the 1st attempts were ), but are the retries still overdone? Appreciate your comments. Thks.
Old 10-04-2011, 08:01 AM   #1762
Supremacy Member

And that Max Brenner chocolate dessert...was the best ever!
Old 10-04-2011, 09:37 AM   #1763

Twtan, thanks for the revelation. Hmmm, does this mean tat for cameras which you can adjust the aperture, you can achieve this 'blurry backgrd' even with subjects tat are further away, n not just with close subjects shot under macro mode?
Yes, a wide aperture will have that blurry background. This blurring of background is known as Bokeh.

Click to join >> HWZ's Makan Session

Last edited by twtan14; 10-04-2011 at 09:41 AM..
Old 10-04-2011, 09:39 AM   #1764
Arch-Supremacy Member

for good photos... should learn from sen's ones... his use of focusing the food in clarity in the foreground with blurred/unfocused background damn pro... and his photos hardly have noise... and having the right balance of colors... can make ordinary hawker food look soooooooo delicious...!!

regards.
wacky
yeap...agrees too~! but toon's pics the frame is good.
BTW, toons using wad camera ?
♥☼ |ink|iN paRk & tOk|o hoTe| ♥☼
Old 10-04-2011, 12:13 PM   #1765
Arch-Supremacy Member

Hawker centers are usually bright with natural light compared to restaurants which can be dimly lit and with artificial lights. Low light equal higher ISO speed equal more noises in pictures. Artificial lights means colour casts which resulted in non natural colours.
ya oso...

Was reading your post, then it struck me tat this is precisely wats happening when i shoot with macro mode. The depth of field is much nearer, allowing me to focus on close objects. So i should be able to see the 'blurry background' effect on my macro shots. Went back to see n the effect is really there! Like in the shooter pic below, the plate and utensils behind the cup are indeed blurry in comparison to the contents of the shooter. Well, its not really tat obvious, but its there. So kewl
ya dat is wat macro mode supposed to do...

Thanks for pointing out my mistakes. Now tat i relooked at the processed pics vs the origs, the prob is blindlingly obvious. I must be blind to miss it

Sometimes, less is indeed more ...

Took 2 samples n tried again. 1st processed pic vs orig vs retry attempt.
much better this time... although i would still rather not do any sharpening at all... especially if the original isn't blur in the first place.... usually i would apply sharpening only if the original pic is blur.... otherwise sharpening simply makes the noise sharper but doesn't do much to the photo... so normally i'd just focus on the white balance/color contrast only...

regards,
wacky
Old 10-04-2011, 02:25 PM   #1766
High Supremacy Member

the equinox really looks good leh!
Ya lor - should have joined them...hahah
Old 10-04-2011, 07:45 PM   #1767
Honorary Member

we can go the next time round.. card expire in sept..

贝他特爱斯特 Number 28 jiejie!

Old 10-04-2011, 10:34 PM   #1768
High Supremacy Member

we can go the next time round.. card expire in sept..
Definitely after seeing all the pictures...

But the mains look so-so niah
Old 10-04-2011, 11:47 PM   #1769
Honorary Member

but the mains are really good! lol

贝他特爱斯特 Number 28 jiejie!

Old 11-04-2011, 08:04 AM   #1770
High Supremacy Member

but the mains are really good! lol
In that case, where do I sign up?
Closed Thread
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.