Old Airport Road Hawker Centre

invisible999

Master Member
Reaction score
I've heard from multiple sources that this is one of famous/best hawker centres, but I do not have any insights why.

I live next to Dover, so unless I specifically go to this hawker centre chances that I accidently end up there are small. However, if I do, could anyone tell what to try and at which stall?

P.S. Disclaimer: non-native here, plus I have a little bit problem digesting spicy food, so non-spicy food recommendations are welcome.
P.P.S. If there are other famous hawker centers please share and tell as well for which food they are famous for.

Thanks in advance.

s7460597

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Nam Seng hokkien mee
Holy Grill western food
Western Barbeque
Cho Kee wanton noodles
Hua Kee noodles
To Ricos kway chup
Whitley Road prawn mee
Xin Mei Xiang lor mee
Toa Payoh rojak

There's quite a few others.

tekster

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
the best hawker center is the one that is within reach when you are hungry.
don't have to purposely travel there just to eat some common fare.

like char kuey teow, i believe the one at zion road hawker is better than the one at old airport road.

k0sm0s

Reaction score
Thanks for the list above
I frequently pass by the area but dunoe what to eat... can have more recommendations on which stall to order from?

(^@^)"

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Chuan Kee satay. Order this first. 45 mins wait.
Toa Payoh rojak. Order this early too. 30 mins wait.
Dong Ji CKT. Fried with prawns and squid. Not the usual local style.
Freshly-made Chee Cheong Fun. That's the name. Made on the spot upon order. Comes with scallops, prawns, char siew. HK soy sauce style.
Hae Cho stall. Near the Lao Ban Dou Hua. Best Hae Cho around.
Mattar Road seafood for their excellent Chilli Crabs.
Western BBQ for their mixed grill.
Nam Sing for fried hokkien mee.
Wang Wang crispy curry puff.
Meilock soursop juice.

s7460597

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Toa Payoh rojak. Order this early too. 30 mins wait.
Dong Ji CKT. Fried with prawns and squid. Not the usual local style.

Toa Payoh rojak - take number first, order only when number is up.
Dong Ji - open for lunch only.

swatchie

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I find TPY Rojak extremely sweet now. It used to be better almost 2 decades ago when it only had a stall at the small coffeeshop near the TPY library.

oho

Reaction score
P.P.S. If there are other famous hawker centers please share and tell as well for which food they are famous for.
Thanks in advance.
If you are staying at dover, Tiong Bahru food centre is just a 15 mins drive away.
Just google and read about recommended good eats there.
Much better sitting arrangement, airy, spacious and plenty of good food. After eating can walk around quaint and trendy shops in the estate.

Last edited:

jonchong

Reaction score
For West area i personally like this "Tze Char" stall at Commonwealth called 2 Fatty.. their milk powder pork ribs are awesome =)

BLK 116 Commonwealth Crescent, near Commonwealth MRT

DarthRevan

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
For West area i personally like this "Tze Char" stall at Commonwealth called 2 Fatty.. their milk powder pork ribs are awesome =)

u meant "2 Chefs" and their signature butter pork ribs?

tekster

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score

reminds me of the tze char stall in mei ling hawker center that does milk powder pork ribs.

invisible999

Master Member
Reaction score
Nam Seng hokkien mee
Holy Grill western food
Western Barbeque
Cho Kee wanton noodles
Hua Kee noodles
To Ricos kway chup
Whitley Road prawn mee
Xin Mei Xiang lor mee
Toa Payoh rojak

There's quite a few others.

Thanks for the list. Was there today with my wife and tried the bolded above prawn mee and black pepper satay right next to it.

What I can say - I was not disappointed and it definitely worth to go there if you are nearby. Will try the rest of the list as well.

Meanwhile, additional suggestions/recommendations are welcome.

If you are staying at dover, Tiong Bahru food centre is just a 15 mins drive away.
Thanks for suggestions, I do not have a car, but with MRT/bus should be able to get there in about 30-40 min.

Any other hawker centers? Today I was at Changi Village. I've heard about their Nasi Lemak stalls and did see them with lines, but honestly waiting 30 min in line is too much.

P.S. I'd like to know which one to avoid as well - I personally added Newton Food Center in my list after first (and hope last) visit.

Last edited:

wackykid

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
not good at all.

the better ckt is beside the famous kway chap. only opens during lunch.

totally agree... LFZ is as good as any normal CKT only... i can eat the same thing in any other place where it is dedicated to frying CKT...

dong ji is the one beside the famous tio ricos kway kway chap... this one is diff style closer to penang type CKT... but it's so much better than LFZ..!!

regards,
wacky

liverpool73

Reaction score
the best hawker center is the one that is within reach when you are hungry.
don't have to purposely travel there just to eat some common fare.

like char kuey teow, i believe the one at zion road hawker is better than the one at old airport road.

U referring to No. 18, the one near the entrance?

I will go there at least once a week...:D

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.