Advice on Penang

socrates

Reaction score
How do you get to Design Village (factory outlet) from Georgetown? Grab taxi or bus?

beanstalk6

Reaction score
Yes, and also Bukit Mertajam as it is still near Penang bridge

I recall that the food is better and more reasonable over on the mainland than on the island. You can also make your way to the quaint, scenic town of Taiping which is only an hour away.

Andrew833

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
How do you get to Design Village (factory outlet) from Georgetown? Grab taxi or bus?

You can get a free shuttle bus there from CIMB PRANGIN MALL (KOMTAR) at 10.15am/ 3.15pm. Returns from Design Village at 1.30pm/ 7pm.
This maybe outdated, so check before planning.

Andrew833

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I recall that the food is better and more reasonable over on the mainland than on the island. You can also make your way to the quaint, scenic town of Taiping which is only an hour away.

If drive, will be better to explore that area.

Andrew833

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Penang food is overrated.

Read this yourself, even their own people think so. :(
https://forum.lowyat.net/topic/4318789/all

Went there, wasted my time. :(

Penang food is not overrated. Many ppl go penang only try those posted/ recommended foods on forum/fb, too many comments of cos it's overrated. Go try out places, you will find good food. Penang food and Singapore food is a little similar only, so don't use Singapore food standard to comment on them.

Tregunter

Master Member
Reaction score
Penang food is not overrated. Many ppl go penang only try those posted/ recommended foods on forum/fb, too many comments of cos it's overrated. Go try out places, you will find good food. Penang food and Singapore food is a little similar only, so don't use Singapore food standard to comment on them.

I agree.

10chars

PinkGlory

Reaction score
Could someone pls advise me, I am going Penang from Wed night to next Mon. Is it better to get the roaming from local telco with 1gb per day, or get a Malaysia sim card when I reach Penang? Do the bus terminal sell the sim card? Reception is the same for both local sim and Malaysia sim?

If my coach departs at 9pm, roughly what time will I reach the next day?

rrr2015

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
true the bus network in penang is simple & easy but must be aware of the bus schedules. some bus interval can be as much as 2hours apart :s22:
Taking the public bus there is quite easy for those who are game for it. Very cheap and clean buses.

matrix05

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Could someone pls advise me, I am going Penang from Wed night to next Mon. Is it better to get the roaming from local telco with 1gb per day, or get a Malaysia sim card when I reach Penang? Do the bus terminal sell the sim card? Reception is the same for both local sim and Malaysia sim?

If my coach departs at 9pm, roughly what time will I reach the next day?

Is there a local bus app to know the route and timing of public bus in Penang? (like our Singabus etc)

Anyone tried taking train from KL to Penang? Thinking of taking a bus to KL, stay 1 nite, take train to Penang, then fly back. Any advise on this route?

beanstalk6

Reaction score
4 hours on the ETS. For this you need to make your way to Butterworth, best by ferry from Georgetown. For the coach, try for one that gets you from Georgetown (Komtar) into KL Sentral (not TBS). Unless you have lots of time, go for some place nearer than KL.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.