HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Ipoh my home town :)

Like Tree57Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 24-04-2017, 03:35 PM   #46
Junior Moderator

Hi, can I know where to book a train ticket from Ipoh to sg? I went KTM website nothing comes up and air ticket is too expensive
Check http://www.seat61.com/Malaysia.htm. You have to change to the new electric train service at Gemas after you board at JB Sentral.
tongkualongan likes this.
beanstalk6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2017, 05:44 PM   #47
Master Member

are these at old town area?

Frequent traveller to Ipoh simply because I love the place and the food (Am a Singaporean). Quiet and peaceful, safe to walk in the streets. People are generally friendly.

Personally would prefer to go to Ipoh via night bus that departs 10/10.30pm from Larkin. Usually reach around 5-6am then I will cab to Ming Court for old school HK-style tim sum, you might even have to share a table with other diners if they get really busy. After tim sum will go to hotel to leave my luggage, then head to old town area for satay, sa-hor-fun and kopi + egg on bread. roam around and eat as I go. Salt-bake chicken is one of my fav must eat as well as pomelo (if in season). Shopping is very much like JB shopping centre. I go there to eat and chill more than I shop. Can spend some time watching movie also. Though their soy bean is a must drink, I find the one mixed with grass jelly is better. A corner away from the soy bean stall is those brewed herbal tea, one of my favs too. I simply walk all over the town area to where I want to go (10-40mins), munching as I go.

Don't see a need to visit cafes when we have plenty in SG, Ipoh is like the old SG. Take it slow and easy and enjoy the sights. Many old folks doing their crafts in even older shops. It's quite a sight.
neanea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2017, 08:56 PM   #48
Master Member

do we need to book hotel in advance or just go to the hotel and book when reached?
Old 28-04-2017, 01:53 PM   #49

Ming Court dim sum is in new town area - just opposite Excelsior Hotel. I have listed all hotels in new town here :

New Town Recommended Hotels

satay, sa-hor-fun and kopi + egg on bread. roam around and eat as I go. - old town

Shopping is very much like JB shopping centre - new town ( Parkson, Ipoh Parade)

their soy bean is a must drink -new town

btw, old town and new town is divided by the river, just a 5 minutes drive between the two

Oh you can also check out my blog about recommended hotels in Ipoh based on Area.
Recommended Hotels

and yes, please book hotel in advance as Ipoh is getting more popular over the weekend as tourist from other Malaysian States come and visit.

When in doubt, travel !
Raythetour
Friend First, Tourist 2nd

Last edited by tongkualongan; 19-06-2017 at 11:13 AM..
tongkualongan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2017, 09:31 PM   #50
Master Member

do we need to book hotel in advance or just go to the hotel and book when reached?
tongkualongan????
Old 29-04-2017, 10:52 AM   #51

tongkualongan????
and yes, please book hotel in advance as Ipoh is getting more popular over the weekend as tourist from other Malaysian States come and visit.

When in doubt, travel !
Raythetour
Old 07-05-2017, 10:03 AM   #52

Ipoh or penang for cheap food and light shopping.
idrinkecoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 09:32 PM   #53

Ipoh or penang for cheap food and light shopping.
I lived in Penang for 1.5 years and Ipoh for 18 years.

I think the price is about the same for noodles ( MYR 5 - 7 )
but the Penang food portion is smaller than Ipoh.

Penang is better in Cha Keow Teau and hokkien noodles/prawn noodles .

Ipoh is better at soup Keow Teau , yong liew and nga choy kai.

As I don't really shop I think shopping is about the same nowadays with every major brands in every corner of civilisation.

The interesting scene would be "Pasar Malam" Night Market where you can shop for cheap stuff and really delicious street food. ( Ipoh has it every day at different location)

I think for Penang street side shopping would be around Ayer Hitam leading to Kek Lok Si temple and Batu Ferringhi area (but more commercialized)

If time is no restriction, I would say go both

Hope this helps!

When in doubt, travel !
Raythetour
Old 08-05-2017, 07:40 AM   #54

Where is the "Pasar Malam" Night Market located on a Wednesday and Thursday night? Will be staying near old town or Ipoh Parade area.

I lived in Penang for 1.5 years and Ipoh for 18 years.

I think the price is about the same for noodles ( MYR 5 - 7 )
but the Penang food portion is smaller than Ipoh.

Penang is better in Cha Keow Teau and hokkien noodles/prawn noodles .

Ipoh is better at soup Keow Teau , yong liew and nga choy kai.

As I don't really shop I think shopping is about the same nowadays with every major brands in every corner of civilisation.

The interesting scene would be "Pasar Malam" Night Market where you can shop for cheap stuff and really delicious street food. ( Ipoh has it every day at different location)

I think for Penang street side shopping would be around Ayer Hitam leading to Kek Lok Si temple and Batu Ferringhi area (but more commercialized)

If time is no restriction, I would say go both

Hope this helps!

When in doubt, travel !
Raythetour
Hanwudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2017, 11:05 AM   #55

Where is the "Pasar Malam" Night Market located on a Wednesday and Thursday night? Will be staying near old town or Ipoh Parade area.
Wednesday is at Stadium area, 10 mins drive from Ipoh Parade
Thursday is at Taman SPPK (Pengkalan Area) , 20 mins drive from Ipoh Parade

Hope this is not too late

When in doubt, travel !
Raythetour
Old 05-06-2017, 09:40 AM   #56
Master Member

where to get durian in Ipoh?
~Dragonite~ likes this.
Old 06-06-2017, 09:20 AM   #57

Wednesday is at Stadium area, 10 mins drive from Ipoh Parade
Thursday is at Taman SPPK (Pengkalan Area) , 20 mins drive from Ipoh Parade

Hope this is not too late

When in doubt, travel !
Raythetour
Thanks for the info.
I love taking local bus for the experience, can you recommend one high frequency bus number to take?
~Dragonite~ likes this.
Hanwudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 12:07 PM   #58

Thumbs up The Haven Resort Hotel Ipoh

My hometown is in Ipoh and I usually go back once a year to visit my parents. This year, I've decided to stay at The Haven Resort Hotel Ipoh. Wow, it was such a beautiful resort. Highly recommend it if you're looking for a luxury resort to stay in Ipoh.

The suite is very spacious, suitable for families - especially with kids. Some pics to share:

Our 2+1 Bedroom Suite

Their signature sea-horse shaped pool

Surrounded by natural forest, lake and hills

More review HERE. We paid about ~RM1K per night for a suite that accommodates 6 person. Overall, I still find that its reasonable given that it's 5-star.

~Dragonite~ likes this.
Old 09-06-2017, 07:23 PM   #59
Junior Moderator

We were in Ipoh on Tuesday and my wife got her bag snatched by a man on a motorbike at the old part of town. Apply precautions if you are walking along the streets of Ipoh. Apparently many of the locals have been victims before.
~Dragonite~ likes this.
beanstalk6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 09:14 PM   #60
Master Member

This really suxks! Which part of old town were you and what were you doing that time?

We were in Ipoh on Tuesday and my wife got her bag snatched by a man on a motorbike at the old part of town. Apply precautions if you are walking along the streets of Ipoh. Apparently many of the locals have been victims before.
~Dragonite~ likes this.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.