Johor Bahru - share is caring

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gruber

Reaction score
Hi guys where to stay near city square ar? Or Aeon tebrau?
We have 3 adults and 2 kids, 1 adult is my helper so we need to have at least 2 x double beds le

Sent from Samsung SM-G965F using GAGT

Can try to book an apartment unit at Suasana, or a hotel room at Amari. Both next to each other and just across the road from City Square. Don't say boh jio! :D

tomicaguy

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Can try to book an apartment unit at Suasana, or a hotel room at Amari. Both next to each other and just across the road from City Square. Don't say boh jio! :D

Suasana Suites is just beside Amari, opened earlier this year. Reviews like not bad and cheaper than Amari but mostly all Singaporeans. :s13:

kosongice

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Which area you’re staying? If it’s near city centre, there’s this hawker centr within walking distance from KSL. Cheap and lots of variety and opens till late. It’s open air, so avoid if it’s raining like the past few nights.

大家胜美食中心
92, Jalan Harimau, Taman Abad, 80250 Johor Bahru, Johor, Malaysia
https://goo.gl/maps/kHjfHD4QNW72
Don't mind travelling. Staying Puteri Pacific.

kosongice

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Very long never visit this thread liao.

Any good supper spots to recommend? Not driving but can Grab and stuff. Entering Wed late at night. Probably reach JB around 12mn-0100. Staying overnight.

Familiar with the area, took many trips but unsure of good supper spots as I usually zao by 9 or 10 at night. Other than loklok got what else good?
Any more suggestions?

beanstalk6

Reaction score

Slightly further from City Square, you have the DoubleTree Hilton and Puteri Pacific.

Elon Jobs

Reaction score
Don't mind travelling. Staying Puteri Pacific.

Puteri Pacific which means you’re nearer to City Square tha area. There should be street food there after dusk, one whole stretch, behind the alley, one is Chinese street food, the other Malay, but I’m not sure what time it closes though. I’ve been there about a year or so ago, walking distance from City Square.

From your hotel, if you walk down towards 鸭王 and the coastal side, there’s quite a number of cafes and I know some of them open till 2-3am.

Last edited:

Elon Jobs

Reaction score
Hi guys where to stay near city square ar? Or Aeon tebrau?
We have 3 adults and 2 kids, 1 adult is my helper so we need to have at least 2 x double beds le

Sent from Samsung SM-G965F using GAGT

What’s your budget like? Others have recommended good hotels- DoubelTree, Puteri Pacific, Amari, Suasana Suites are all solid in my opinion.

As for Aeon Tebrau City, I’ve stayed before at Hotel Tebrau CT, it’s really a budget hotel with no amenities, we only stayed there for a night when IKEA first opened and we watched late night movie at Aeon can walk back to the hotel in less than 2 minutes. Security is good with guard looking after your car 24/7.

Further a bit, there’s this hotel nearer to IKEA and the upcoming Toppen Shopping Centre that side called Vertilex Hotel, I’ve personally never stayed before and my friend has and he says it’s pretty decent.

If you don’t mind a 10-12 minutes drive from Aeon Tebrau City, there’s this new hotel opened by KSL called KSL Hot Spring Resort. I will be staying there myself next month- the reviews are pretty okay, and it’s new plus there’s this special hot spring jacuzzi and stuff, just something different from the usual staycation hotel my parents and family can try and hopefully enjoy.

Last edited:

Elon Jobs

Reaction score

Yes. 北京楼 is a great choice, it’s where the Malaysian Chinese host their weddings. But personally, the closest one to JB custom is the outlet next to Ah Khoon 鱼圆面, I find the quality of food is not as good as the other two restaurants in Johor Jaya and Skudai- the seafood always no stock (the waiter told me not much demand so they don’t order a lot), and the roasted pork/chicken/duck doesn’t taste as good as the other two outlets. However, if you’re not driving and you can’t venture too far, then it’s not a bad compromise.

Last edited:

kosongice

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Puteri Pacific which means you’re nearer to City Square tha area. There should be street food there after dusk, one whole stretch, behind the alley, one is Chinese street food, the other Malay, but I’m not sure what time it closes though. I’ve been there about a year or so ago, walking distance from City Square.

From your hotel, if you walk down towards 鸭王 and the coastal side, there’s quite a number of cafes and I know some of them open till 2-3am.
That area I'm damn familiar la haha. That's why looking for other options. Don't mind taking a taxi out.

Elon Jobs

Reaction score
Walking distance from city square or ksl

Seafood restuarant within walking distance from City Square I personally have not been to any.

As for walking distance from KSL, you can try either one of the two.
Restoran Seafood Shang Kee
5, Jalan Pelanduk, Taman Abad, 80250 Johar Bahru, Johor, Malaysia
+60 7-331 1852
https://goo.gl/maps/F8Ax6LEmsMq

大家胜美食中心
92, Jalan Harimau, Taman Abad, 80250 Johor Bahru, Johor, Malaysia
https://goo.gl/maps/J3TyAgg4LNv

First one is a proper restaurant with your choice of air-con or open air, right next to Holiday Villa and opposite Holiday Plaza. Food is decent with okay price.

Second one is more of an open air hawker centre, there’s a couple of stalls selling seafood like prawns and stingray etc, as well as a selection of Chinese rice, noodles, soup etc. Sometimes it shows EPL on a weekend, price is really cheap but avoid if there’s chance of rain as sheltered seats are very limited.

Elon Jobs

Reaction score
That area I'm damn familiar la haha. That's why looking for other options. Don't mind taking a taxi out.

If that’s the case, then you can try the hawker place close to KSL I recommended but it says it closes at midnight on Google Maps, but I recalled going there after midnight, after late night movie at KSL.

As for the rest I’ve been to- Seven Oaks, Living Room, Sugar on Top, Big Bowl Ice and Racer Bar all close at midnight. There’s this place opposite Seven Oaks I always wanted to visit but always no time or no chance, it opens till late, you can give it a try. I drive past I always see a lot of cars parked outside, business seems good.
Friendscino
No. 55, Jalan Serampang, Taman Sri Tebrau, 80050 Johor Bahru, Johor, Malaysia
+60 7-334 1341
https://goo.gl/maps/t5ybq9pwvzv

If you want to have a few drinks (with finger food) at a quiet place, I absolutely recommend this place. Very nice and chill.
Haiiro Usagi
75a, Jalan Maju, Taman Maju Jaya, 80400 Johor Bahru, Johor, Malaysia
+60 7-336 0209
https://goo.gl/maps/oGseTBMztm42

eosfoto

Reaction score
Any one can review on the Tebrau IKEA, is it worth visiting?

Where can i take free shuttle FROM ikea back to custom jb sentral ?

Elon Jobs

Reaction score

I can only answer the first part of your question- it’s not worth it if you are not going to buy anything there. The restaurant is same, the layout is the same, the feel is the same. Last time I went for lunch on a weekday, they only opened two payment counters at the restaurant and it was a long wait to pay, plus now the use those machine to “eat” your note, the cashier don’t handle cash, the machine rejected a lot of plastic Malaysian notes, further causing delays.

Even if you’re buying stuff, not everything is cheaper, some items cheaper by less than RM1, for most part the maximum savings you can expect is around 30-35%. I suggest you check out their online store or app and compare the prices if you intend to buy their stuff.

abkt99

Reaction score

Dropped pin
near Taman Desa Tebrau, Johor Bahru, Johor, Malaysia

https://maps.google.com/?q=1.551516,103.798102

The IKEA shuttle bus stop is here.Facing Aeon Tebrau.If you go google map you can see the shuttle bus stop.
Timing updated as at 16Nov17.Pls check with IKEA Store again to see if it's changed or not.
Departures (Sundays - Thursdays): 1000, 1200, 1500, 1700, 2000, 2200

Departures (Fridays & Saturdays): 1000, 1200, 1500, 1700, 2000, 2200, 2300

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.