Malaysia prepaid card

what88

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thanks so much for sharing your experience! :)

I was initially puzzled to read about the deduction, but realized that Hotlink termed the packaged 1GB as a freebie as well. Looks like the free 1GB that comes with the RED app is not really useful for the tablet plan unless the user really wants to burn off 2GB within 3 days! =:p

I just went to the FAQ to double-check this:
If my FREE 1 GB quota has been exhausted before the end of the first year and I've purchased additional quota will the validity of my Hotlink Tablet Plan reduced?

No. Upon activation your Hotlink Tablet Plan will remain active for 365 days regardless. Subsequently should you purchase additional quota, your validity will follow the latest available date of expiry.

Just a note that should the initial free 1GB be used up way before the first year is up, you can choose to subscribe to the 1GB RM25 package and still retain the original expiry date, although its validity is stated as 60 days. ;)

https://www.hotlink.com.my/en/plans/hotlink-tablet-plan.html

P.S. You can still get a Digi Best SIM pack from JB, if you need one for calls/text as well. :)

Haha, think of burn off the 2 GB data and then top $50 to subscribe 2GB DATA for $45. :D

what88

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Forgot to mention the shop helped me to cut the MicroSIM to Nano size, so that I was able to use this in my IPhone, used it as hotspot to share data with my family members. :D:D

Habrosus

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Haha, think of burn off the 2 GB data and then top $50 to subscribe 2GB DATA for $45. :D
Who knows, some people can really do things that are data-hungry.

Celcom Magic SIM is having the Burung Hantu promotion at the moment, which is supposedly "unlimited data" from 1am to 7am for every weekly or monthly mobile internet package subscribed. You'll be amazed by how some users are actually taking advantage of this to download stuff during those hours! :D

FYI, I still have about 300MB left in my 11-month old tablet SIM. =:p

Forgot to mention the shop helped me to cut the MicroSIM to Nano size, so that I was able to use this in my IPhone, used it as hotspot to share data with my family members. :D:D
You're lucky to have met a very kind dealer. :)

Habrosus

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
To Purchase A Digi Best Prepaid SIM Pack

Digi has two types of basic prepaid SIM packs, Digi Best and Digi Smart. Digi Best is more popular with visitors to Malaysia as it has the option to extend validity via Super Long Life.

http://new.digi.com.my/Page/products/default/all_prepaid

Buying a Digi Best Prepaid SIM Pack
• Go to the display cabinet to choose your preferred Digi Best SIM pack number.1
• Approach a staff2 and indicate that you want the Digi Best SIM pack and to subscribe to Super Long Life3, and also the SIM card size that you want4.
• Calculate the amount5 that you are required to top up for the VAS.
• Pay for the SIM pack, as well as the top-up amount (subject to 6% GST).
• Let the staff register, activate, and help you subscribe to SLL6.
• Put the SIM card into your own device to check your credit balance (*128*1*1#) and call plan (*128*1*4#).

Notes:
1 You can only identify your preferred pack from the number on it, and get the staff to retrieve it for you.
2 If you are at a Digi Center, you will have to take a queue number first, then lead the staff to the number you want when you are at the counter.
3 RM38 will be deducted for SLL, and there must be a minimum credit balance of RM43 before the option is shown on the menu.
4 At present, the dealers can only help you cut the SIM card to size. If you want an original Nano SIM card, you will have to get it from a Digi Center with a charge of RM10 (excl GST) or waived.
5 Some dealers have a “compulsory top-up amount”, so you may want to take that into account when you calculate how much you want to top-up.
6 Digi Best has an initial validity of 30 days, so you may want to subscribe to SLL on your own later, if you don’t find it a hassle.

what88

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
You're lucky to have met a very kind dealer. :)

Yalor. Considered so buey heng. May be I was first few customers after he opened his shop. :D

He still have 4 more SIM pack for tablet.

Wondering let say I use up my 1GB data and do top up to subscribe 2GB next month, what will be the validity? Reset to 12 months or still remain unchanged ?

Habrosus

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Wondering let say I use up my 1GB data and do top up to subscribe 2GB next month, what will be the validity? Reset to 12 months or still remain unchanged ?

I believe it should be 12 months from subscribing to that 2GB pack. :)

what88

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Digi has two types of basic prepaid SIM packs, Digi Best and Digi Smart. Digi Best is more popular with visitors to Malaysia as it has the option to extend validity via Super Long Life.

http://new.digi.com.my/Page/products/default/all_prepaid

Buying a Digi Best Prepaid SIM Pack
• Go to the display cabinet to choose your preferred Digi Best SIM pack number.1
• Approach a staff2 and indicate that you want the Digi Best SIM pack and to subscribe to Super Long Life3, and also the SIM card size that you want4.
• Calculate the amount5 that you are required to top up for the VAS.
• Pay for the SIM pack, as well as the top-up amount (subject to 6% GST).
• Let the staff register, activate, and help you subscribe to SLL6.
• Put the SIM card into your own device to check your credit balance (*128*1*1#) and call plan (*128*1*4#).

DIGI Smart Card is easily available everywhere. I was at one DIGI dealer here, the guy asked me to get DIGI Smart and convert it to DIGI Best plan first, then follow by purhase SLL, total cost will be $40 for doing so.

Somehow don't feel this is the right way thus walk away. Thanks to him as well as I managed to get Hotlink tablet plan.:D:D

Habrosus

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
DIGI Smart Card is easily available everywhere. I was at one DIGI dealer here, the guy asked me to get DIGI Smart and convert it to DIGI Best plan first, then follow by purhase SLL, total cost will be $40 for doing so.

Somehow don't feel this is the right way thus walk away. Thanks to him as well as I managed to get Hotlink tablet plan.:D:D

Digi Smart is more popular with those residing in Malaysia due to its main selling points:
FREE Lite Internet with unlimited access to Internet anytime, anywhere.
Unlimited FREE Calls and SMS to 3 Smart Buddyz.
FREE Social with unlimited access to WhatsApp, WeChat, Line and more.

They don't have to worry about keeping their line active simply with a RM30 top-up monthly, especially if they need the amount to subscribe to an internet package for day-to-day use. For us visitors, we'll only end up accumulating a huge sum in a Smart account. =:p

Suggesting to you to use the converting method is also an idea, though I calculated the total to be more than RM40:
Digi Smart SIM Pack: RM10
Cost to convert from Smart to Best: RM3
Cost of SLL: RM38
:D

what88

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I already had a TuneTalk card for Data/call, this HOTLINK Fast tablet is use as a backup , is this FAST really not fit my need then consider to get DIGI Best.

Too bad for my 4 days trip, only managed to find this tablet plan on day 3. :s22:

I will updated our guys on the validity period if I really use up 1GB of my tablet plan.

lambo_elemento

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I've topup my hotlink prepaid with 10RM (lowest value via maxispay). *100# menu has more options now and I've changed the menu language to English:

*100#
7. *100#
01 Seterusnya
6 Akaun Saya & lain-lain
1 Maklumat Akaun Saya
3 Bahasa

i did not manage to find the Buy Validity option... Sounds like I hv to top up extra to meet the price for that to find out whether this option will appear...? :/ LOL

Last edited:

kitkat2

Reaction score
you are going to malaysia soon? if not you could have topped up on the last day or used the sos topup to stretch your sim card validity.

there is no buy validity with malaysian prepaid
sim. but the trick for hotlink is to use sos topup to achieve more or less the same thing.

all the information is on hotlink website and written in english.

next time when you are in malaysia, do yourself a favor and get a stack of rm5 topup tickets. one ticket buys you 5 days of active and 50 days of grace. so with 7 tickets, you are covered for one year. imho, this is better than paying >rm30 for one year validity thingie.

I've topup my hotlink prepaid with 10RM (lowest value via maxispay). *100# menu has more options now and I've changed the menu language to English:

*100#
7. *100#
01 Seterusnya
6 Akaun Saya & lain-lain
1 Maklumat Akaun Saya
3 Bahasa

i did not manage to find the Buy Validity option... Sounds like I hv to top up extra to meet the price for that to find out whether this option will appear...? :/ LOL

Last edited:

lambo_elemento

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
you are going to malaysia soon? if not you could have topped up on the last day or used the sos topup to stretch your sim card validity.

there is no buy validity with malaysian prepaid
sim
. but the trick for hotlink is to use sos topup to achieve more or less the same thing.

all the information is on hotlink website and written in english.

wouldnt have mentioned buy validity if i hadnt come across this..

https://www.hotlink.com.my/en/plans/validity-365.html

thanks for the suggestion about stretching the validity~

Habrosus

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
@lambo_elemento, around when did you buy your Hotlink card? I think from there we can more or less know which plan yours is on, if you've not managed to check from the Hotlink RED app.

Edit: OK, found this in their FAQ:
To check your current rate plan, dial *100# > My Account & Others > My Account Information > What is my Plan?

Last edited:

kitkat2

Reaction score
6xmUdNm.jpg

have you tried this?

since you are roaming after *100# you need to enter 7, then 6, then 1.

wouldnt have mentioned buy validity if i hadnt come across this..

https://www.hotlink.com.my/en/plans/validity-365.html

thanks for the suggestion about stretching the validity~

Last edited:

Habrosus

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
One thing I'd like to highlight again about this Hotlink 4G FAST plan, though.

It has its own mobile internet passes, but none of these is a 1-day one. Won't this mean that we'll have to subscribe to the minimum weekly plan, even if our trip is only for the day?

But presently they do let you switch back if you don't like the new plan. =:p

kitkat2

Reaction score
just some thoughts on the 365 validity thingie. is it worth rm33?

if you are going to malaysia frequently, you need not worry about your sim becoming dead. if you visit malaysia less than 4 times a year, why not use the money to buy a few new sim packs and keep you with? rm33 is enough to pay for 3 new hotlink sim packs and they are valid for activation within a year. besides, each new sim has rm5 credit and sometimes comes with freebies like free 1 gb data for 3 days.

malaysian telcos are the most profitable in the world. please dont feed them somemore with your sing $$$.

ascdf13

Master Member
Reaction score
guys quick question here. for the hotlink rm5 topup tickets with one ticket that has 5 days of active and 50 days of grace does it consists of any data plan after topping up or just rm5 of value with out any data?

gotten one hotlink sim pack during my last trip to maleka at the dataran pahlawan level 1 which has the link way to the other shopping mall and 2x rm5 top up tickets. intend to pass to my folks when they travelled to JB so that they can stay in touch.

Thanks

Last edited:

kitkat2

Reaction score
no data plan. just rm5 credit in the main balance. if you get the #hotlink plan sim
card, not the latest fast plan, you get throttled data as long as your number is active. slow but good enough for whatsapp.

hotlink is running a promo now that gives 1gb unthrottled data for 3 days usage. you need to download the red app and login with your number.

guys quick question here. for the hotlink rm5 topup tickets with one ticket that has 5 days of active and 50 days of grace does it consists of any data plan after topping up or just rm5 of value with out any data?

gotten one hotlink sim pack during my last trip to maleka at the dataran pahlawan level 1 which has the link way to the other shopping mall and 2x rm5 top up tickets. intend to pass to my folks when they travelled to JB so that they can stay in touch.

Thanks

Last edited:
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.