Plan my trip to Kuala Lumpur & other Qns

kaixin18

Reaction score
Hello bros. I am planning to go to KL for a week in August. I have heard nice things about Kuala Lumpur, Petaling Jaya and Subang Jaya. But I've never stepped into Malaysia before.

Now with the low exchange rate which is favourable to us I want to go for a trip to relax myself. I hope all bros can contribute. Perhaps this thread can become useful information for other bros when wanting to go to KL for short getaway.

1) How should I go to KL? Take a coach bus or plane? Which companies or airline you recommend?

2) Which malaysian SIM card is value for money to buy so that I can use the GPS, serve net on my devices while I'm there?

3) I am planning to open a Malaysian bank account so I can make payment for purchases with it. Which bank would you recommend and why? What is the minimum sum I need to have to open the account and whats the amount I must maintain monthly?

4) Which cheap hotels would you recommend in KL area? Since i'll be out for most of the day sightseeing and only going back to the hotel at night, I don't need a really 5* hotel.

5) Is Uber reliable there to get around or should I just take a normal taxi?

6) What are the things I can do in KL, Petaling Jaya and Subang Jaya besides eating? What are the landmarks I should visit? Where can I buy clothes? Any interesting things to do there?

7) Should I change SG currency at Raffles arcade or is there any other money changers you recommend giving better rates?

Any other tips is most welcome. Thanks everyone.

helios467

Reaction score
Good day mate.

I love going to KL personally, but I can't give tips for PJ and Subang.

I'll put down what I can here.

Hello bros. I am planning to go to KL for a week in August. I have heard nice things about Kuala Lumpur, Petaling Jaya and Subang Jaya. But I've never stepped into Malaysia before.

Now with the low exchange rate which is favourable to us I want to go for a trip to relax myself. I hope all bros can contribute. Perhaps this thread can become useful information for other bros when wanting to go to KL for short getaway.

1) How should I go to KL? Take a coach bus or plane? Which companies or airline you recommend?

Check out aeroline coach. There's food, entertainment onboard. Better than the other cheaper coaches which may break down (just experienced it this year). If u take flight, u will still have to take another 45 min coach ride to kl sentral.

2) Which malaysian SIM card is value for money to buy so that I can use the GPS, serve net on my devices while I'm there?

I'm currently using hotlink. Pay additional 70rm for one yr validity, then download their app, and every weekend they give you free data. Its crazy!

3) I am planning to open a Malaysian bank account so I can make payment for purchases with it. Which bank would you recommend and why? What is the minimum sum I need to have to open the account and whats the amount I must maintain monthly?

can't help on this, as i dont wana open an account there. I just try to bring enough cash each time. There's no need to spend that much there.

4) Which cheap hotels would you recommend in KL area? Since i'll be out for most of the day sightseeing and only going back to the hotel at night, I don't need a really 5* hotel.

i like sky express, cheap and good, and centrally located next to bukit bintang, the main shopping stretch. you can also check the map for any other hotels around tht location.

both are fine, normal taxi, just make sure they run on the meter, but gd to understand some malay as alot of them may not understand english

6) What are the things I can do in KL, Petaling Jaya and Subang Jaya besides eating? What are the landmarks I should visit? Where can I buy clothes? Any interesting things to do there?

i only know kl sry:

Petaling street - their chinatown
Bukit bintang - one whole bunch of shopping centers
jalan alor - can say its a touristy area, but there's one shop, meng kee, which i really like. gd food.
klcc - can just walk up bukit bintang, go through pavilion, to the link bridge to bring you to klcc. see the twin towers, and the fountain next to it
zouk kl - very near klcc if u wana party

sleep - cuz i just luv sleeping

7) Should I change SG currency at Raffles arcade or is there any other money changers you recommend giving better rates?

change some here, bring some there to change. rates along bukit bintang can vary, so take a quick comparison each time you wana change among the shops.

beanstalk6

Reaction score
Allow me to add my 2 sen worth.
If you like museums, Muzium Negara can be reached on foot from Sentral (LRT, monorail, Komuter) or KL Station (Komuter). KL Station is the charming old railway station for KL. Merdeka Square (Dataran Merdeka) is the historic centre of KL, akin to our Padang, with Moorish colonial architecture. You can also visit Central Market or Plaza Seni. Batu Caves is now accessible by train, if you like an excursion to the suburbs. Malls you can visit are Mid-Valley (Komuter). Also The Curve and 1 Utama in PJ. I prefer Uber or public transit since the taxis there prefer to negotiate fares.

Considering this is your first visit to Malaysia, do you foresee visiting again, to justify having a Malaysian bank account?

Argiope

Reaction score
1) I would go with plane. I took a bus once and encountered a terrible human jam at the SG immigration checkpoint and literally stuck there for 3 hours. Bus departed SG at 9:30am and reached hotel at 5:30pm.

2) No experience with others but i think DiGi works fine.

3) Maybank - largest bank (network) in Malaysia. Check their website for your other questions.

4) Not exactly your cup of tea but i stayed at the newly-renovated Le Meridien at Kl sentral and totally love it.

5) Since you have data plan, just go with Uber! Generally Uber drivers can speak in English. The (red) taxis are horrendous - run-down condition, drivers don't use meters and quote overpriced fares.

kaixin18

Reaction score
Thank you all for answering my question. I have some further questions in orange below.

Good day mate.

I love going to KL personally, but I can't give tips for PJ and Subang.

I'll put down what I can here.

I checked out aeroline online and there were some bad reviews such as stale food, poor customer service by the attendant, bus broke down and a few others. I'm wondering if I should just take a plane instead. Which airline would you recommend?

I'll only visit malaysia 3 times a year for a week so would it be wise to get the Hotlink with the additional RM70 for a year validity? When they give the free data every week must I finish it or can I accumulate it and then use it when I visit Malaysia? Or does the free data expire like within a week I receive it?

Silly question but are we allowed to choose prepaid numbers? I'm guessing Hotlink is a prepaid number?

Allow me to add my 2 sen worth.
If you like museums, Muzium Negara can be reached on foot from Sentral (LRT, monorail, Komuter) or KL Station (Komuter). KL Station is the charming old railway station for KL. Merdeka Square (Dataran Merdeka) is the historic centre of KL, akin to our Padang, with Moorish colonial architecture. You can also visit Central Market or Plaza Seni. Batu Caves is now accessible by train, if you like an excursion to the suburbs. Malls you can visit are Mid-Valley (Komuter). Also The Curve and 1 Utama in PJ. I prefer Uber or public transit since the taxis there prefer to negotiate fares.

Considering this is your first visit to Malaysia, do you foresee visiting again, to justify having a Malaysian bank account?

Thanks for your feedback. Yes I will be visiting all those places you mentioned. I see myself visiting malaysia 3 times a year due to the good exchange rate. Can't afford to go to Europe now given my student background. I'm supporting myself, studying and working. So was thinking of having a bank account so that I can put some money in it and when I visit Malaysia and I can use it to make purchases.

1) I would go with plane. I took a bus once and encountered a terrible human jam at the SG immigration checkpoint and literally stuck there for 3 hours. Bus departed SG at 9:30am and reached hotel at 5:30pm.

thanks for your feedback. which airline would you recommend I take? If I'm going to be in KL first how far is the airport to KL?

2) No experience with others but i think DiGi works fine.

3) Maybank - largest bank (network) in Malaysia. Check their website for your other questions.

4) Not exactly your cup of tea but i stayed at the newly-renovated Le Meridien at Kl sentral and totally love it.

5) Since you have data plan, just go with Uber! Generally Uber drivers can speak in English. The (red) taxis are horrendous - run-down condition, drivers don't use meters and quote overpriced fares.

You mean I can use my UBER account in SG in malaysia as well? then how do they deduct the fares given the need to factor in the currency conversion?

Habrosus

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thank you all for answering my question. I have some further questions in orange below.

I checked out aeroline online and there were some bad reviews such as stale food, poor customer service by the attendant, bus broke down and a few others. I'm wondering if I should just take a plane instead. Which airline would you recommend?

I'll only visit malaysia 3 times a year for a week so would it be wise to get the Hotlink with the additional RM70 for a year validity? When they give the free data every week must I finish it or can I accumulate it and then use it when I visit Malaysia? Or does the free data expire like within a week I receive it?

Silly question but are we allowed to choose prepaid numbers? I'm guessing Hotlink is a prepaid number?
KL is only a 45-min flight away, most of the budget airlines work. For coach, I'd personally go with Luxury and First Coach, and you can also refer to Not sure which coach to try or take it out?? Here are the top 5 coaches.

For more info on Hotlink (prepaid card of Maxis) - Maxis' Hotlink Prepaid Plans.

Habrosus

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I'm currently using hotlink. Pay additional 70rm for one yr validity, then download their app, and every weekend they give you free data. Its crazy!

Hi, care to share which Hotlink plan is yours? Free weekend data sounds like Hotlink Fast, but they don't offer validity extension on it anymore. Validity 365 costs RM33, would you like to share how you manage to still do it (with Fast), though at RM70? :)

Habrosus

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

There will be a whole display of these Hotlink prepaid SIM packs with the numbers printed on them, so you can choose the one you like. :)

If you're referring to choosing your preferred numbers like 012-xxxx1234, as having the last 4 digits 1234, then you'll have to check at a Maxis Center for them to look into their database. They used to do it, not sure if they still do these days.

beanstalk6

Reaction score
Don't bother with the food on the coaches. Most of the other companies do not serve food or have attendants during the ride.

There are 2 airports for KL. Subang is served by Fireflyz, which is not truly a budget option, but you get a propeller plane and Subang is really in KL while KLIA isn't.

KLIA has the 2 terminals, one for budget and one for the full service airlines. The connection to KL proper is fairly time-consuming and can be costly if you take the train or taxi.

I don't see the need to open a bank account in Malaysia to support your travel expenses. The hassle may not be worth the convenience. In any case, refer to http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/malaysia-269/open-malaysia-bank-account-singaporean-5343352-2.html

Argiope

Reaction score
which airline would you recommend I take? If I'm going to be in KL first how far is the airport to KL?
Any budget airline will do since it's a short trip. Airasia, Jetstar, Malindo, Tigerair.. compare their timings and prices.

You mean I can use my UBER account in SG in malaysia as well? then how do they deduct the fares given the need to factor in the currency conversion?
I use MY Uber account when i'm there. I'm happy to send a referral link to you. ;) But i believe using SG Uber account is doable as your credit card (bank) will do the conversion and charge you in SGD.

figo16

Banned
Reaction score

Take budget airline or oman air. oman air timing is very good and it is the cheapest full service airline $90-110 return inclusive of 30kg baggage, seats, drinks,amneity kit etc. tiger, malindo, jetstar also good. Firefly is expensive for a budget airline. usually above $100.

More reliable than the red taxi. red taxi is chop carrot.

KLCC and aquarium, KL Tower, Petronas tower, batu caves, lot 10 food court. Nothing much acutally. i prefer penang. :s13:

Replied your post

Last edited:

TeamBuddies

Reaction score
how much does it cost to take a cab from KUL airport to KLCC?

I believe both KLIA and KLIA2 operates from a coupon system. You can ask the counter how much to KLCC. Alternatively, you can use GrabCar (need mobile data to use the app). I like this as it is a fixed fare and you can pay by cash also.

beanstalk6

Reaction score
I think the fare is at least 70 RM for the budget taxi. If you are alone, the KLIA Express is cheaper and faster.

capp21

Reaction score
Just went for a day trip to KL..we went to Batu Caves, Pasar Seni, Merdeka Square, KL Tower and of course the Petronas Twin Towers..maybe you guys may want to check this new attraction in KL Tower called Skybox. It is made up of a transparent glass and you can literally see the city view under your feet! I enjoyed it the most.

goh6570

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
how much does it cost to take a cab from KUL airport to KLCC?

Use either grab or uber.. as u can see the fixed price...

I used both of them when in KL recently, just back only ;)
Quite happy to use them rather then street taxi where they anyhow chop carrot:vijayadmin:

MuppeJack

Reaction score
Will be located at Sri Petaling KL for 3 days, any suggested activities for a lone traveler on the 3rd day with 9-10 hours free time before return flight?

beanstalk6

Reaction score
May be worth your while to visit the Mines, if you have been to touristic places in KL.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.