Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Comparison of SIM only plans

Like Tree24Likes
Share This Page
HardwareZone.com on Facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 21-04-2017, 11:33 AM   #151
Master Member

It's precisely due to what I notice unusually bad 4G service compared to my friends (or even my family members who also use Starhub but iPhones!) and various other communication issues that made me want to shift to other telcos and also a SIM only plan.

I not worried about data roaming though; I prefer to buy the native SIM cards there (e.g. Japan's DoCoMo cards)

Hmm, does this mean Singtel has less deadspots? Also, Singtel Wifi is not exactly free in the future right?
I used StarHub's network on iPhone 5, Redmi Note 4 and Sony Xperia M5. All have issues on the network, like stubbornly stuck on 3G after falling back from 4G outdoors, and data totally don't work at all.

Sometimes data roaming is actually cheaper than local Sims. Like Japan, getting SIM card there is more expensive than getting M1 Data Passport. $25/mth ($27 for first month), use your local bundle.

Less deadspots? It depends on where you use lol. Everyone's experience is different, all we can say is our own experience.
For me, SingTel and M1 network is neck-on-neck most of the time now, and the value proposition came into play because of that.

Sent from Redmi Note 4 MTK using GAGT
lohsenglte is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2017, 11:40 AM   #152
Master Member

And yes, my use case is setting up my Xperia XZs as a hotspot so that I can play games on my iPad (or just play on my XZs directly), web surfing and social media. Videos no cos I watch at home or at least I watch those that I already transferred.

Weekdays: Morning travel via EWL or CCL or even direct bus, night time travel via CCL or EWL or NEL (I can avoid if need be) or 2 x direct bus.

Weekends: No specific lines, may even use NEL if need be. Or may just stay at home

What I need to investigate is why my phones all these years will sometimes go to 3G or 3G+ during hotspotting; I suspect Starhub signal too weak to be able to support hotspot while provide Internet to the phone itself too.

The dual SIM function of the XZs will be very useful here (I got it at launch cos my Z3C dying + these issues), I will proceed with real-world tests with prepaid SIM cards, just that there's 300+ pages to read in that thread !
EWL both SingTel and M1 have their own set of problems in tunnels.
M1 dropping from LTE (4G) to HSPA+ (3G) a few times when the train is moving but data is still usable most of the time. Auto connect back to LTE after a short while (<1 min) most of the time.

SingTel along the Tanjong Pagar and Tiong Bahru stretch totally can't work for my friend frequently. Both LTE and HSPA.

Above ground tracks have no issues on both networks.

NEL M1 4G have a lot of issues, not reception but connectivity. Some says M1 3G can work fine though. SingTel is much better in this regard.

CCL both networks have no issues. Fast and reliable.

Erm dual-SIM 4G+3G, if fall back to 3G on the internet SIM, the network performance may drop as much as to just half the performance, and the dead spots will be much more significant.

I would recommend on dual-SIM mode, the internet line force LTE only mode, then the voice line WCDMA only mode.

*#*#4636#*#* -> Phone information 1/2 -> Change network type.

Last edited by lohsenglte; 21-04-2017 at 11:44 AM..
Old 21-04-2017, 12:01 PM   #153
Master Member

changed from singtel to m1 my sim few months back, regretted i didn't check that m1 have terrible signal on NEL. Waiting for 1 year to be up before porting back
SoggyBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2017, 12:02 PM   #154
Arch-Supremacy Member

Lol whether free or not depends on Singtel lor. If not free I'll drop it

Now that Singtel Wifi is in place, don't forget there's voice over WiFi also.

That helps to eliminate dead spots with wifi calling.

So far wifi calling has been stable on Singtel Wifi while on wireless@sg,quality differs according to the quality of wifi..

It's precisely due to what I notice unusually bad 4G service compared to my friends (or even my family members who also use Starhub but iPhones!) and various other communication issues that made me want to shift to other telcos and also a SIM only plan.

I not worried about data roaming though; I prefer to buy the native SIM cards there (e.g. Japan's DoCoMo cards)

Hmm, does this mean Singtel has less deadspots? Also, Singtel Wifi is not exactly free in the future right?
renfred89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2017, 12:44 PM   #155
Supremacy Member

I used StarHub's network on iPhone 5, Redmi Note 4 and Sony Xperia M5. All have issues on the network, like stubbornly stuck on 3G after falling back from 4G outdoors, and data totally don't work at all.

Sometimes data roaming is actually cheaper than local Sims. Like Japan, getting SIM card there is more expensive than getting M1 Data Passport. $25/mth ($27 for first month), use your local bundle.

Less deadspots? It depends on where you use lol. Everyone's experience is different, all we can say is our own experience.
For me, SingTel and M1 network is neck-on-neck most of the time now, and the value proposition came into play because of that.

Thanks for the confirm on that Starhub issue, glad to hear that I am not the only one with such issues!

As for data roaming, good point. Starhub's offering is way too expensive than M1's, hence me having to use native SIM cards (and wanting to try other telcos).

EWL both SingTel and M1 have their own set of problems in tunnels.
M1 dropping from LTE (4G) to HSPA+ (3G) a few times when the train is moving but data is still usable most of the time. Auto connect back to LTE after a short while (<1 min) most of the time.

SingTel along the Tanjong Pagar and Tiong Bahru stretch totally can't work for my friend frequently. Both LTE and HSPA.

Above ground tracks have no issues on both networks.

NEL M1 4G have a lot of issues, not reception but connectivity. Some says M1 3G can work fine though. SingTel is much better in this regard.

CCL both networks have no issues. Fast and reliable.

Erm dual-SIM 4G+3G, if fall back to 3G on the internet SIM, the network performance may drop as much as to just half the performance, and the dead spots will be much more significant.

I would recommend on dual-SIM mode, the internet line force LTE only mode, then the voice line WCDMA only mode.

*#*#4636#*#* -> Phone information 1/2 -> Change network type.

Thanks for the info, time for some real-world testing using prepaid cards to see how these affect my usage.

But if my SIM 1 is on LTE only, won't there be problems if in 3G-only areas?

Lol whether free or not depends on Singtel lor. If not free I'll drop it

Now that Singtel Wifi is in place, don't forget there's voice over WiFi also.

That helps to eliminate dead spots with wifi calling.

So far wifi calling has been stable on Singtel Wifi while on wireless@sg,quality differs according to the quality of wifi..

I checked the website, they say unlimited until 30th September

Too bad this is only for postpaid customers, can't test it with their prepaid cards
darkarn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2017, 01:08 PM   #156
Master Member

Thanks for the confirm on that Starhub issue, glad to hear that I am not the only one with such issues!

As for data roaming, good point. Starhub's offering is way too expensive than M1's, hence me having to use native SIM cards (and wanting to try other telcos).

Thanks for the info, time for some real-world testing using prepaid cards to see how these affect my usage.

But if my SIM 1 is on LTE only, won't there be problems if in 3G-only areas?

I checked the website, they say unlimited until 30th September

Too bad this is only for postpaid customers, can't test it with their prepaid cards
You won't get any reception in 3G only areas. Typically tunnels and some (remote) parts of the country.

Actually, to be safe, you should use the Xperia Z3 on your StarHub Postpaid meanwhile, and XZs on the prepaid service (M1/SingTel). This, you would experience the real world performance, because on LTE only mode, you won't actually fall back to HSPA (3G) when the signal is low.

Old 21-04-2017, 01:34 PM   #157
Supremacy Member

You won't get any reception in 3G only areas. Typically tunnels and some (remote) parts of the country.

Actually, to be safe, you should use the Xperia Z3 on your StarHub Postpaid meanwhile, and XZs on the prepaid service (M1/SingTel). This, you would experience the real world performance, because on LTE only mode, you won't actually fall back to HSPA (3G) when the signal is low.

Problem is... My Z3C traded away for the XZs liao
Old 21-04-2017, 01:51 PM   #158
Master Member

Problem is... My Z3C traded away for the XZs liao
In that case, either you use other 3G phones at home, or completely don't use the postpaid line from time to time.

Old 21-04-2017, 02:55 PM   #159
Supremacy Member

In that case, either you use other 3G phones at home, or completely don't use the postpaid line from time to time.

I have to keep the postpaid line up at all times cos work

What I did was to simply switch off mobile data for my postpaid Starhub SIM, keep it for calls and SMSes, and keep my prepaid Singtel SIM (yes, I ran over to the nearest 7-11 during lunch to get it) in LTE only.

That should be fine but if got problem, I will just deploy the spare iPhone 5 in my house then!

But really, why would there be a performance issue for the 4G+3G slot if there is a change to 3G? This is the first time I am hearing about it
Old 21-04-2017, 03:07 PM   #160

What I did was to simply switch off mobile data for my postpaid Starhub SIM, keep it for calls and SMSes, and keep my prepaid Singtel SIM (yes, I ran over to the nearest 7-11 during lunch to get it) in LTE only.

That should be fine but if got problem, I will just deploy the spare iPhone 5 in my house then!

But really, why would there be a performance issue for the 4G+3G slot if there is a change to 3G? This is the first time I am hearing about it
I didn't face any issue with 3G+3G on my StarHub + Singtel.

Speed test on StarHub HSPA+ can reach 10Mbps with my Redmi Note 4 SD625.
guyz92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2017, 04:08 PM   #161
Master Member

I didn't face any issue with 3G+3G on my StarHub + Singtel.

Speed test on StarHub HSPA+ can reach 10Mbps with my Redmi Note 4 SD625.
Hmm that's weird. Mine MTK RMN4 speed crashed badly to only 30-40% peak (not even half), and dead spots everywhere.

I think like that iPhone 5 on StarHub, Xperia XZs on SingTel / M1. Hahaha.
That rush to 7-Eleven to buy a SIM though

(Edit: Forgotten to reply your question)

The reason why 3G+3G will cause issues is because the same radio have to split its resources 50-50, one for SIM1 another for SIM2. As such, the network performance may degrade significantly, as the radio have to keep switching channels, especially when it is two separate carriers.

Last edited by lohsenglte; 21-04-2017 at 04:34 PM..
Old 21-04-2017, 06:31 PM   #162
Supremacy Member

Now in NEL, full bar thoughout so far. Impressive
Old 21-04-2017, 08:18 PM   #163
Master Member

Just switch to 3G when u go NEL lor Lan lan

changed from singtel to m1 my sim few months back, regretted i didn't check that m1 have terrible signal on NEL. Waiting for 1 year to be up before porting back
Old 22-04-2017, 02:36 AM   #164
Supremacy Member

I think like that iPhone 5 on StarHub, Xperia XZs on SingTel / M1. Hahaha.
That rush to 7-Eleven to buy a SIM though

(Edit: Forgotten to reply your question)

The reason why 3G+3G will cause issues is because the same radio have to split its resources 50-50, one for SIM1 another for SIM2. As such, the network performance may degrade significantly, as the radio have to keep switching channels, especially when it is two separate carriers.

Sorry, was out and about just now, hard to give proper response

I trying to use both on one phone cos I also wanna see how dual SIM will be like.. Seems to be working fine as long I set in software to not use data from the Starhub SIM card at all

And yeah, I had to rush for the SIM card cos I know I will be testing the Singtel network once I was released from work and had to go a few places too

Thanks for the explanation, didn't know that there is only one radio. Maybe that's why the software is set such that data can come from only one SIM slot at a time
Old 22-04-2017, 08:01 AM   #165
Master Member

Sorry, was out and about just now, hard to give proper response

I trying to use both on one phone cos I also wanna see how dual SIM will be like.. Seems to be working fine as long I set in software to not use data from the Starhub SIM card at all

And yeah, I had to rush for the SIM card cos I know I will be testing the Singtel network once I was released from work and had to go a few places too

Thanks for the explanation, didn't know that there is only one radio. Maybe that's why the software is set such that data can come from only one SIM slot at a time
Oh no problems. Ya, data is through one SIM and it is the only one with 4G access too. Mainly because of the radio issue.

I think the Snapdragon SoC is better optimised than MTK SoC as the modem is more powerful. That's why the performance don't seem to degrade as much. This needs more observation.

Other than NEL, what lines you took yesterday and how was the network performance on SingTel Mobile?

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.