Comparison of SIM only plans

Status
Not open for further replies.

darkarn

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i don't experience such problem. Only occasional slight reduction of signal at covered area like shopping mall basement.
While I hate this question :s13: but have you tried on another phone?
Anyway why would you download app using mobile data?:s22:

Hmm good point, maybe it's the phone but then again, I prefer to see how the network work with my phone

I downloading app updates cos testing mah, under normal circumstances I will just use Wifi :s13:

lohsenglte

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Tested a bit of the M1 networks, am a little... perplexed.

You see, while I am getting good coverage so far (on par with Singtel) like at my house and in EWL, I am having issues with sustained connections. My connection will get cut off momentarily sometimes when downloading many app updates or during long Teamviewer sessions, even on today when it is not a public holiday. This has not occurred with Singtel.
i don't experience such problem. Only occasional slight reduction of signal at covered area like shopping mall basement.
While I hate this question :s13: but have you tried on another phone?
Anyway why would you download app using mobile data?:s22:
Hmm good point, maybe it's the phone but then again, I prefer to see how the network work with my phone

I downloading app updates cos testing mah, under normal circumstances I will just use Wifi :s13:
M1 M Card always cut when you hit ~100MB intervals. Sometimes kick back to M1 3G/H+ for a few sec then back to M1 4G/LTE, sometimes resume back on M1 4G/LTE itself.

P.S. I didn't expect you to download so I didn't warn you that.

M1 Postpaid Mobile have no such cutoff.

Sent from Redmi Note 4 MTK using GAGT

darkarn

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
M1 M Card always cut when you hit ~100MB intervals. Sometimes kick back to M1 3G/H+ for a few sec then back to M1 4G/LTE, sometimes resume back on M1 4G/LTE itself.

P.S. I didn't expect you to download so I didn't warn you that.

M1 Postpaid Mobile have no such cutoff.

Ah yes, that's the behaviour I saw, not sure about the 100MB part though. Once the cutoff is over, it will usually bounce back to 4G/LTE. This is strange nonetheless, prepaid or not.

Np, I didn't specify my testing methods more carefully either

lohsenglte

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
how do you know m1 does that?
I'm using M1 Postpaid and M1 Prepaid and always notice that. 98-103MB most of the time on M1 Prepaid.

M1 Postpaid even if I download a 200+MB file over M1 4G, it didn't disconnect.

Ah yes, that's the behaviour I saw, not sure about the 100MB part though. Once the cutoff is over, it will usually bounce back to 4G/LTE. This is strange nonetheless, prepaid or not.

Ya it seems strange to me too. Just maybe don't use it for downloading big files, afterall, most of the time you won't do that kind of things over mobile data anyway.

ZrE0_Cha0s

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

but did u did the same test for singtel as well?

winphenom

Reaction score
hmm, worth exploring. I'm not doubting your experience but i'm a bit held back by your 1GB/day usage as fair usage policy. I also have a mobileshare plan tied to my key line and its my tablet using it. I do exceed 1GB/day occasionally and the speed was not throttled on my phone or my tablet. Its really a cause of concern if they implement this number as a fair usage.

If the 1GB/day is indeed a justified number for telco, its like saying its an eat-all-you-can buffet but limit the patron to only 1 plate per visit. :D
Thanks for your reply bro. I concur with your reasoning which was why I kicked up a fuss with the telco and brought it up to IDA. But all was in vain as fair usage policy is lawful and in our contracts, there is a fine clause which we never take notice of which states that "subject to telco discretion or changes". Like you said, I argued on the point that if it's a lawful unlimited plan that I signed up, then why now you limit my usage per day which in effect, means my plan is also a limited plan per month. And furthermore, fair usage shouldn't take into account odd hours where traffic is extremely low. That's outright cheating and taking advantage of consumers to benefit your profit motive especially if you further give priority to your premium customers who do not have to adhere to this ruling and restriction.
Anyway, just highlighting this to let consumers know that before you sign up any plan which looks so deliciously cheap and gives you so much value, ask thoroughly and check that telco has no right in the contract to revoke it anytime they like. That's my lesson learnt. Cheers

Last edited:

Rong626

Reaction score
i was considering jumping to circles life but m1 quoted me 800 early termination fee lol. then i asked if i can pay that by installment, nope!

Rong626

Reaction score
well, it's a $62/month plan before corporate discount. expires this nov though

lohsenglte

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
well, it's a $62/month plan before corporate discount. expires this nov though
Oh, Reg plan. The termination is $35/mth (excluding GST) iirc, for Public plans (full rates).

How come 6-7 months contract remaining still cost $800? Maybe you want to check your contract to see if it's the case?
(Could be also because of Corporate Individual Scheme.)

Rong626

Reaction score
i shall try lol. only reason for me to jump ship is because i keep hitting the 4gb data cap

lohsenglte

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i shall try lol. only reason for me to jump ship is because i keep hitting the 4gb data cap
There's Upsized Data/Plus/Super VAS (each subscription only can have any one VAS at any time).

Add 3GB / 6GB / 9GB on top of your 4GB base plan (Reg) at $5.90/11.80/17.70 per month. $10.70 one-time charge is applicable. No contract.

No CIS discounts for any VAS added onto the base plan.

NHosTfnl.png

renfred89

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
You have a m1 postpaid and m1 prepaid, but you choose to download extensively on m1 prepaid? You must have an unique usage.. :D

I'm using M1 Postpaid and M1 Prepaid and always notice that. 98-103MB most of the time on M1 Prepaid.

Ya it seems strange to me too. Just maybe don't use it for downloading big files, afterall, most of the time you won't do that kind of things over mobile data anyway.

lohsenglte

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
You have a m1 postpaid and m1 prepaid, but you choose to download extensively on m1 prepaid? You must have an unique usage.. :D

Actually tbh, the 100MB limitation has been there for a long while.

M1 Prepaid was used to augment my M1 Postpaid line as 3GB data (Lite+) was not enough, before the additional data options was available.

Afterall, I can always purchase more data at lower rates than on M1 Postpaid, as low as $5/GB vs $10.70/GB overages.

Now it's just for data roaming in the region for low or medium level usage. Reg plan + Youth Benefits, total of 7GB data, is enough for my local usage already.
Includes web browsing, social media, video streaming and occasional big file downloads (company I'm working in don't have WiFi access).

(Don't see a need to subscribe to M1 Data Passport when I use less than 300MB every month on roaming.)

Last edited:

darkarn

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Thankfully I usually use Wifi for downloading stuff but for Teamviewer I may do it on the go sometimes, which means that prepaid M1 may not be suitable for me but postpaid M1 should be fine.

but did u did the same test for singtel as well?

Yep! :s12:

duhduhduh

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
4G on M1 in NEL is super slow, not 3G.

It is not as fast as 4G outdoors, nobody expects that, but for my testing, most of the time it works over 3G, like web browsing, scrolling through social media, texting via WA, etc.

Downside is you need to keep manually switch to 3G before entering the tunnel, and back to 4G when you exit.

If it's infrequent, it's ok. But if it's everyday problem, I doubt you really want to do so. Hahaha.

haha okay, thanks for the inputs!

What you raised was legit too. the constant changing will be cumbersome.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.