most valued prepaid card

Status
Not open for further replies.

stylechap

Master Member
Reaction score
The advantage M1 has over Starhub is when you're using the data locally, SH limits your 4G speeds to 75Mbps whereas M1 gives you same speeds as postpaid.

But SH data roaming country availability seriously rocks.

Yes and Starhub seems to be the most straight forward for data roaming. All data can be used for roaming.
While the other telco have to purchase base on destination or manually apply with the destination telco.

lohsenglte

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
The advantage M1 has over Starhub is when you're using the data locally, SH limits your 4G speeds to 75Mbps whereas M1 gives you same speeds as postpaid.

But SH data roaming country availability seriously rocks.

StarHub claims up to 75Mbps, but in reality, I have not gotten speeds beyond 13Mbps over LTE. 3G is just dead, so there's no point saying about it. :s22:

Plus, inside train tunnels, even on StarHub Postpaid, the real-world usage is also much slower than M1 Postpaid/Prepaid. Currently have the free 15GB mobile data, but then everytime before going into train tunnel, I have to switch back to the superior M1 4G to ensure I won't get bad performance.

lohsenglte

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
xSNyhfL.jpg

Above question & answer found in Starhub facebook post regarding prepaid Happy Roam dated 2 days ago (21/2), see this link:
https://www.facebook.com/StarHub/photos/a.143838927471.114867.134934362471/10155134688962472/?type=3

Good to see that NTT DoCoMo Roaming is also 4G, even though I doubt speeds would be more than 8Mbps, but still better than just 3G.

(Japan do not have 2G networks already, fyi.)

I think the correct link to the list of M1 prepaid data plans is this link:
https://www.m1.com.sg/mcard#tab3

Yes, BOTH M1 & Starhub prepaid data has limits -- which are DIFFERENT.

Bro 'lohsenglte' has shared the limits for M1 prepaid data as above.

To add, just FYI...
About 2+ months ago in 2016 Dec (and based on personal experience)...

I encountered/realised that the 4GB prepaid data limit for M1 -- in terms of MB -- is actually 4000MB (NOT 4096MB).
(M1 Web site don't seems to state clearly whether the 4GB prepaid data limit is really 4000MB or 4096MB)

Maybe this is a minor thing -- but it's just extra info for those who wish to know EXACT details.

(If one day I ever able to get a prepaid data balance of more than 4000MB on my M1 prepaid SIM card, I'll take a screen shot & share here)

If any M1 prepaid user has a prepaid data balance more than 4000MB, you are welcome to share your screen shot here :)

Thanks.

Thanks for the correction of the link.

4000MB limit, when 1GB = 1024MB as per M1 1GB data plan purchase, as well as M1 Postpaid also treating 4GB = 4096MB. Hmm I wonder what are they thinking. :s22:

I thought it will be best to port over to another telco. Although the 3 offers similar services but fineprint is slightly different. Probably you could port back after a while but I'm not sure if there's any lock-in period.

There is no lock-in period, just all balances would be forfeited.
However, if there is no distinct advantage for the carrier you're on, like coverage and/or speed, there is no reason to port out and then back in. ;)

Just a reminder.
2G ends on 31 Mar 2017.

Please check if you need to replace your existing SIM card. Replacement fee not FREE.

Had to change to a new number as it was more cheaper than to replace the 2G to 3G SIM card.

Depends on the carrier you are on. If it's M1, it is stated that upgrade from 2G SIM to 3G SIM is free.

9. I have a 2G SIM that is registered under my ID, how do I upgrade to a 3G SIM?
For Postpaid 3G SIM upgrade: You may visit any M1 Shop, M1 Customer Service Centre or Exclusive
Distributor to get a 3G SIM upgrade for FREE.
For Prepaid 3G SIM upgrade: You may visit any M1 Customer Service Centre to get a 3G SIM
upgrade for FREE.
Please bring your existing 2G SIM along with the following document:
Foreigner: Passport / Work Permit (issued after 3 May 1999)
Singaporean / Singapore PR: Pink / Blue NRIC / Passport
National Serviceman: SAF11B / SPF11B / SCDF11B

lohsenglte

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
eh. though that 4G means the card itself also a 4G card. den what abt upcoming 5G system?
Don't even know if SIM cards will still exist or not, given the fact that Apple and Samsung is adopting eSIM technology in selected devices.

If SIM Cards still exist, it would most likely be that 3G USIM still works, since it's built to be Universal (the U part of USIM).

Sent from Xiaomi REDMI NOTE 4 using GAGT

cpuer

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
FYI. Starhub happyroam now has 2 JP roaming partners, namely docomo and KDDI. :)

ralliart12

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi fellows, my use case is light (below 200MB per wkend) 4G (must be 4G) data (but not restricted to social media only) consumption over the weekends (only). Totally need no voice-related functions at all. My objective is to have maximum amount of data that can be rolled over the lengthiest period. From my briefing browsing of the 3 carriers' site, am I right to say the most appropriate option for me is:

1. Get the SingTel hi! $15
which gives me 1GB to last 120days from the get-go;
then use the existing $15+$5extra to pay for the $20 30-day 3GB data bundle which gives me a total of 4GB for 150 continuous days for total cash outlay of $20.

Workings:
Step1: Day 1: Pay $15 - use 1GB any time
Step2: Day 120: Top-up $5 to the existing $15 & "redeem/buy" the 3GB 30-day plan - use 3GB anytime

Qn1: Either way are my best options right? Any flaws in my calculations?

Qn2: Btw, the data (1GB) bundled with the $38 hi! card expires in 7 days (only), am I right?

Qn3a: It is more value-for-$ if I repeat Step1 & Step2, i.e. get a new $15 hi! card instead of just repeating STEP2 right?

Qn3b: Is it possible for someone to buy multiple new hi! cards from SingTel at one shot? Or will they limit per NRIC?

revhappy

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
@ralliart12, sounds like a brilliant strategy. M1 also has 1GB data with $15 card, but it is a limited time offer until 31st Mar also the 500mb out of it expires in 7days. I think m1 brought this offer to rival Singtel, I think the offer will have to be extended to compete with Singtel.

Sent from Xiaomi REDMI NOTE 2 using GAGT

lohsenglte

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi fellows, my use case is light (below 200MB per wkend) 4G (must be 4G) data (but not restricted to social media only) consumption over the weekends (only). Totally need no voice-related functions at all. My objective is to have maximum amount of data that can be rolled over the lengthiest period. From my briefing browsing of the 3 carriers' site, am I right to say the most appropriate option for me is:

1. Get the SingTel hi! $15
which gives me 1GB to last 120days from the get-go;
then use the existing $15+$5extra to pay for the $20 30-day 3GB data bundle which gives me a total of 4GB for 150 continuous days for total cash outlay of $20.

Workings:
Step1: Day 1: Pay $15 - use 1GB any time
Step2: Day 120: Top-up $5 to the existing $15 & "redeem/buy" the 3GB 30-day plan - use 3GB anytime

Qn1: Either way are my best options right? Any flaws in my calculations?

Qn2: Btw, the data (1GB) bundled with the $38 hi! card expires in 7 days (only), am I right?

Qn3a: It is more value-for-$ if I repeat Step1 & Step2, i.e. get a new $15 hi! card instead of just repeating STEP2 right?

Qn3b: Is it possible for someone to buy multiple new hi! cards from SingTel at one shot? Or will they limit per NRIC?
200MB per weekend, just assume 800MB per month.

By the day 35 or so, you've already depleted the 1GB data.

During that time, you've to subscribe to data plans.

Btw the $15 hi!Card expires in 120 day, unlike 180 days of M1 and StarHub. Need to pay extra to extend. (May not have the extension of validity VAS on SingTel hi!Card already.)

I don't rmb seeing $5 top up also anymore, minimum $10.

A1) The 3GB data is only valid for 30 days from the date of purchase of the plan, all remaining data will be forfeited if you did not extend before the expiry.

Plus given your low usage, why not just use the $7 1GB 7 days plan, and then extend the 1GB by paying $1 10MB 7 days plan till you're running low then redo the $7 1GB plan? (30 days plan cannot use 7 days plan to extend, also applicable for opposite.)

Oh ya, in that case, actually may as well use M1 M Card. Top up the 3 days 1GB $5 plan, then keep extending using 30 days 300MB $5 plan.

Topping up $10 or more via M1's website gives you additional 500MB of data for 30 days (separate from the paid data plans).

So ya, summarise:
1) Buy $15 M Card, gets 1GB data (524MB for 7 days, 500MB for 30 days). Validity: 180 days. Value: $18.

2) Use up the 1GB already (assume week 5): pay for 3 days 1GB plan X1 and 30 days 300MB plan X2: 1.6GB data for 63 days (9 weeks). Value left: $3.

3) Top up via M1's website right before data plan expiry, gets 500MB data (separate). Use that 500MB for around 3 weeks, then near empty, buy new data plan, but now 300MB 30 days X1 + 1GB 3 days X1, so 33 days (near to 5 weeks) to use 1.3GB data. Validity: 90 days from last top up. Value: $3.

Repeats step 3, or you can just do step 1-2 repeatedly, but frequently have to deregister the line.

Yes, on M1, you can mix and match paid data plans. Also can use in some countries for data roaming.
Typically M1 4G is similar in coverage and similar performance as SingTel 4G, sometimes even better.
Only major problem is in the North East MRT Line (purple), where connection can be very bad.

A2) Yes, 1GB valid for 7 days. $38 credit is up to 180 days validity.

A3a) As I said in point 1, may not be the best in value given your usage scenario.

A3b) You can buy multiple cards at one time, but all the cards may expire at the same time (I.e. 120 days from registration/activation). Therefore, it is recommended to split.
Also, there is a maximum of 3 prepaid cards per person at one time, it's mandated by IMDA. The user must deregister to register a new line of he possess 3 or more prepaid cards.

Last edited:

joesph

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
E-mail blast from StarHub

<Notification> StarHub: Dear customer, you can now stay connected in JAPAN, our newest Happy Roam destination, with yr prepaid SIM. Simply activate any data plan & manage your roaming settings via Happy Prepaid App. Visit starhub.com/happy-roam for more details.

Sent from Samsung SM-G930F using GAGT

lohsenglte

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
E-mail blast from StarHub

<Notification> StarHub: Dear customer, you can now stay connected in JAPAN, our newest Happy Roam destination, with yr prepaid SIM. Simply activate any data plan & manage your roaming settings via Happy Prepaid App. Visit starhub.com/happy-roam for more details.

Sent from Samsung SM-G930F using GAGT
My friend is now in Japan and he said he regretted using Happy Roam. It is painfully slow, even as simple as loading a webpage. NTT DoCoMo LTE but felt like GPRS.

He went on to subscribe to SingTel ReadyRoam and it is much faster. NTT DoCoMo LTE as well.
(He uses SingTel Postpaid, so he chose NTT DoCoMo and not SoftBank JP since the coverage is much wider.)

(I can't comment on M1 Data Passport for Japan - NTT DoCoMo, but what I saw online was quite good as well.)

Last edited:

boonkang

Reaction score
Hi fellows, my use case is light (below 200MB per wkend) 4G (must be 4G) data (but not restricted to social media only) consumption over the weekends (only). Totally need no voice-related functions at all. My objective is to have maximum amount of data that can be rolled over the lengthiest period.

You stated each weekend you'll use/need LESS THAN 200MB.
(steps below are based on this less than 200MB per weekend estimation)

Current ongoing promotion -- new M1 prepaid card comes w/ FREE 500MB valid 5 days + FREE 500MB valid 30 days.

Below steps is to spend $15 to last for (at least) 11 weeks.

Step 1
Just before 1st weekend buy M1 $15 prepaid card.

- 1st weekend use the FREE 500MB which is valid for 5 days.
- 2nd & 3rd weekend use the FREE 500MB which is valid for 30 days.

(so the FREE data that comes with the new M1 prepaid card can last 3 weekends)

Step 2
New M1 prepaid card has $18 balance.

Just before the 4th weekend,
- Buy data plans (2 x $5/300MB/30days) + (1 x $5/1GB/3day). $15 spent. M1 prepaid balance: ($18 - $15) = $3

- You now have 1.6GB data valid for the next 63 days.
(this is enough to last you from the 4th weekend to the 11th weekend)

If there is sufficient (200MB or more) data left after the 11th weekend, you can still use the M1 prepaid card for the 12th weekend.

After data runs out at 11th or 12th weekend, de-register the M1 prepaid card.

From above, spent $15 able to last at least 11 weeks (per weekend cost: $15/11 = $1.36)

Step 3
Just before the following/next weekend, buy another new prepaid card.

Above steps are just a suggestion to consider.

Hope the above helps.

Last edited:

ralliart12

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
...Plus given your low usage, why not just use the $7 1GB 7 days plan, and then extend the 1GB by paying $1 10MB 7 days plan till you're running low then redo the $7 1GB plan? (30 days plan cannot use 7 days plan to extend, also applicable for opposite.)

I've heard something of this "7+1+1+..." strategy; but I have no specific as to what this is about? May I have the details, i.e. which prepaid card?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.