My experience with Sony

Razroid

Reaction score
Well, this all begun back in April of 2013 when I made the bad decision of buy a Sony Xperia Z.

After 2 months of using the Z, I found the issue of the back glass lifting up from overheating and water ended up inside because of this. So I sent it into the service centre at Wisma. About 2 weeks later (17 JUL 2013) (really? 2 bloody weeks?) they called and asked me to go collect the brand new replacement set.

Ok. All should be fine now right? WRONG! another 2 months, the phone randomly decides to restart itself constantly, sent in again at Wisma and received on 21 SEP 2013.

Brought the phone back home and found a problem with the speaker, funny, it says "Phone collected, Tested OK" at the bottom of the service report. Tested ok? do they even have a QC team? Anyway, sent it to J8 the next day, they gave me a brand new replacement set on 05 OCT 2013.

End of my problems? Not even close, I still have a thick stack of service reports in front of me as of me typing this. 2 more months of using (do Sony phones have a shelf life of 2 months? must it be kept in a fridge to prolong the lifespan?) and I found dead pixels on the camera. Sent in at J8 again and received back on 21 Dec 2013.

Ok, next piece of paper, 3 more months and I had issues with the display flickering, sent into J8 and received on 13 APR 2014

Next, half a month later, phone just dies and does not power on. Sent in to J8. At this point, I discussed with the manager of Sony Singapore (very very long email thread) and received a "crossgrade" at the cost of $321 to a Z1, received on 09 May 2014.

Now, upgraded to Z1. There should not be any problems right? NOPE, HELL NOPE. 2 more months of using and the touch screen starts to move around itself and makes it difficult to scroll and type, sometimes even moving elements on the screen by itself when the phone is left on the table. Sent in for repair again at J8, received a call on 03 AUG telling me to go collect the repaired phone. Rushed down on taxi (costed me $10.46) as I have lessons later in the day. Reached J8 at 5:30, went to get my ticket for collection and got the phone. Upon further inspection at the counter, I found 3 clusters of dead pixels. Funny thing again. It says "Phone collected, Tested OK" at the bottom of the service report. Phone sent back in on the spot and rushed back to school for lesson. Shot the manager another email on the way back.
he says "Base on our Q.C, we do not use any magnifying glass and it will be base or our trusted eyes as to run thru the required test."
uTpSmiO.png

So, basically, an ordinary consumer can spot the dead pixels without the aid of special equipment at the counter and the trained professionals at the service center cannot?

Anyway. 1 day later, they decided to deliver to my doorstep. At about 2:30pm, The courier called me asking if there was anybody at home and if he could go up since he was nearby, I told him that there was not, so he asked me for a time which I would be at home. So I told him I would be free at 4:30pm - 4:45pm. He agreed to the timing and he said he would come up at that time. So at 4:15pm, I left my class early and rushed home and reached home at 4:30pm. I waited for half an hour and called him - not answer. another half hour later I called again and he said he had "other jobs" even though we have already agreed on a timing and caused me so much trouble of having to excuse myself from an ongoing chemistry practical exam to rush back. I waited another hour and had to go back out again for my lessons at 6:30pm. The manager sent me an email saying "Our courier was at your home between 7:20 ish onwards and there was no one at home." Really? We agreed on a timing and the courier did not adhere to it. It's suddenly my fault now? Never mind. Had to rush back from school the next day (again) to get the phone from the courier. Collected the phone on 08 AUG 2014.

Re installed all my apps and synced my contacts. Guess what? still the same issue of "ghost touches" on my phone. Shot the manager another email and until now, he still has not replied.
vlcoPhy.png

So now what? I get no response from such a big company for something that I paid so much for.

I should have gone for HTC in the first place. They even do doorstep collection and delivery for free if you have an issue with your phone.

By the way, here's an image of my "collection" of service reports if you are interested.
FoSx5Lp.jpg

Last edited:

wind77

Reaction score
some parts, i think Sony could have done better.
my experience with Sony have been quite ok - quality quite good, and dun really have issue or need to go Sony centre. My limited experience with Sony also up to expectation as well.
In view of ur unfortunate encounter, maybe you wanna check if your handsets was handled harshly - just my 2 cents.

On htc part, maybe my very recent experience would shed some light for you - definitely not a company which I would recommend.
http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/h...emand-disclose-my-gmail-password-4723200.html
Nope, no doorstep delivery, no phone call from service centre to update status, no promised phone call from product team to follow up on issue - this is the true face of HTC.

Razroid

Reaction score
my experience with Sony have been quite ok - quality quite good, and dun really have issue or need to go Sony centre. My limited experience with Sony also up to expectation as well.
In view of ur unfortunate encounter, maybe you wanna check if your handsets was handled harshly - just my 2 cents.

On htc part, maybe my very recent experience would shed some light for you - definitely not a company which I would recommend.
http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/h...emand-disclose-my-gmail-password-4723200.html
Nope, no doorstep delivery, no phone call from service centre to update status, no promised phone call from product team to follow up on issue - this is the true face of HTC.

My device has always been taken care of and placed in a case, I am not sure why it breaks down so much. My previous smartphone - Moto Razr has seen much abuse and is still going strong.

My friend has had the doorstep service before for his HTC one s and is on a M8 now, he got great service for the aluminium front bezel popping up and doorstep collection/delivery for that too. Just his experience, I've never bought HTC before.

sgmem88

Reaction score
maybe you want to share your experience under sony user forum...bro there may have better advice for you

djdestiny

Reaction score

I doubt it will be such a coincidence to happen on three (possibly more) brand new phones.

Secondly, I myself have an HTC Butterfly S with a purple tint sensor and HTC Singapore really offered to pick up from my house.

maybe you want to share your experience under sony user forum...bro there may have better advice for you

How can anyone else help? Apart from him going to CASE directly?

Last edited:

wind77

Reaction score
in SG, if u want justice to be done, be prepared to pay for it.
justice doesn't come cheap here.
and the bureaucratic process is lengthy as well.
below is the reply from CASE when i asked for their assistance on HTC.

Thank you for bringing your case to our attention.

Consumers Association of Singapore (CASE) provides help to consumers within the limits of our resources as a non-government organization.

Please note that a small administrative fee will be applicable if you require CASE to negotiate with the retailer or the service provider on your behalf. This administrative fee will be used for relevant postage charges and other incidental costs concerning your case. Consumers will also need to become members of CASE in order to allow our association to have the legal authority to represent them. When we take on a case, we will set aside time and resources to understand the dispute, write to the business, and try to negotiate a settlement.

We would like to inform you the following options, which you can consider in an attempt to resolve the above matter:

1) Assisted letter – you can come down to our office to see us for an Assisted letter (with $10.70 admin fee payable). This is a one-time letter, which our officers will draft for you; after which you need to hand deliver the letter to the vendor. We will write your request in the letter, give our recommendations and also a dateline for them to reply to you. This is a faster avenue since the vendor is supposed to respond to you directly. For Assisted letter, this option only applies to walk-in.

2) Filed case – If things are still not resolved, you can come back to file the case (alternatively, you can file the case straight away). There is a $26.75 membership and $10.70 admin charges. If you belong to any unions or have a life insurance policy with NTUC Income, please make it known to us or let us have photocopy of the policy certificate so that we can waive off the membership fee. And you only require to pay for the admin fee of $10.70. We will send a letter on your behalf to the vendor to negotiate. If the dispute cannot be resolved via written correspondence, our next step is to invite both parties to come forward for a mediation session. The average time taken for a filed case is around 2-5 months.

For Assisted letter and Filed case, please bring along the relevant supporting documents/receipts as well as your identity card (for verification) when you visit our office. Our operating hours are from 9am to 4pm, Mon – Sat.

bizmobile30

Reaction score
You might have gotten lemon set. Its might have causes you alot trouble. This is why manys users love Sony they are open and willing to give their customers the best regardless what complaint they improve and even provide the best support. HTC service might be good in the sense but do you really see other customers who went 8 times just to repair one small issue. Sometime partz and technology is beyond our control well there still many Z users around without warranty and most of them are still using. If its found not to your liking you can chose to trade in after all or find a better alternative. Nothing in the world is perfect. At least Sony provide the service and honour unlike OTHERS chase their customers away. So many users of OTHERS encounter it

fatangel

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Every company are the same.
You just need that bit of luck.

Read up all the complaints over at Sony, Samsung, HTC, etc thread.

At least I see that you are given options.

Razroid

Reaction score
but do you really see other customers who went 8 times just to repair one small issue.

all the times I went down was because the device cannot even function properly as a phone, not just "one small issue".

Every company are the same.
You just need that bit of luck.

Read up all the complaints over at Sony, Samsung, HTC, etc thread.

At least I see that you are given options.

I was only given options after a really long chat email thread and a very long chat on the phone. Paying $300 does not justify a Z1, if it breaks down just as much as the Z did.

dlrowehtleah

Reaction score
Now, upgraded to Z1. There should not be any problems right? NOPE, HELL NOPE. 2 more months of using and the touch screen starts to move around itself

Re installed all my apps and synced my contacts. Guess what? still the same issue of "ghost touches" on my phone.

based on commonality study, your phone became erratic after you installed it with your usual load of applications.

have you ever tried using your newly repaired phone in its vanilla state? i.e. only resync contacts and otherwise, everything else remains stock? try it for a few days, if the "ghost touches" still happens, it's very likely to be an hw issue. otherwise, progressively install a few apps at a time. who knows your problem could be caused by an runaway app which is badly written by some novice programmer. and i'm assuming you did not root your phone and sideload any warez.

asides from the obvious hw problems like stuck/dead pixels & etc. to be fair, most of the other problems that you experienced happen only after you'd fully loaded the phone with your laundry list of fav apps. let's not be too quick to finger-point, perform some problem isolation on your side and feedback your findings to the service center accordingly. be constructive, you have to help them to help you.

note: i do not own a single piece of android device by sony.

blurwulf

Banned
Reaction score
Sony nowadays so jialat arh? Thought of buying their tv, think it's better to stay away from them now. :s8:

Razroid

Reaction score
based on commonality study, your phone became erratic after you installed it with your usual load of applications.

have you ever tried using your newly repaired phone in its vanilla state? i.e. only resync contacts and otherwise, everything else remains stock? try it for a few days, if the "ghost touches" still happens, it's very likely to be an hw issue. otherwise, progressively install a few apps at a time. who knows your problem could be caused by an runaway app which is badly written by some novice programmer. and i'm assuming you did not root your phone and sideload any warez.

asides from the obvious hw problems like stuck/dead pixels & etc. to be fair, most of the other problems that you experienced happen only after you'd fully loaded the phone with your laundry list of fav apps. let's not be too quick to finger-point, perform some problem isolation on your side and feedback your findings to the service center accordingly. be constructive, you have to help them to help you.

note: i do not own a single piece of android device by sony.

By "re install all my apps" I mean the essential ones like Facebook, Twitter, Whatsapp and instagram. besides, I dont really use all that many apps on my device, the previous time before it was sent it, it only had one ebook reader and one game added to the previous list of "essential" apps.

fatangel

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Sony nowadays so jialat arh? Thought of buying their tv, think it's better to stay away from them now. :s8:

you din read about the good praise others give ah?
because of some bad experience you stay away :)

all brands have bad experience.
then I think you probably wont get a TV any soon :p

mlwang

Master Member
Reaction score
another alternative is to go small claims tribunal and file a claim against Sony. you need to prepare evidence and Sony representative will be called to the tribunal to fight against your claim.

Razroid

Reaction score
another alternative is to go small claims tribunal and file a claim against Sony. you need to prepare evidence and Sony representative will be called to the tribunal to fight against your claim.

They took my phone back for "investigation". I want to see what they do first before I do anything else.

Hello_Kitty

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I had Sony Xperia Z, Z1, Z2 and soon Z3. So far, Sony gives me very good experience. For me, unless Samsung not use SAMOLED and don't have physical Home button or change the design, I am not going back Samsung.

pclum

Reaction score
Previously my sony Xperia sola also break down in about 2 month times, I can't remember what is the problem but is the lower part connector and the screen and I had to bring back, it take one month for the repair ( actually I told the counter samsung only take about 3 to 5 days for the repair in my experience ) and this phone again spoil before the one year warranty expiry date, I had to bring back again for repair. So now I don't buy sony phone, I think when they sub to other to make the phone, they are very slack in their quality control.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.