LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-11-2014, 01:56 AM   #16
Supremacy Member

Glad to be in this thread learning investment

Tharman says $1k can buy HDB
Sai777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 07:12 AM   #17
Supremacy Member

Shiny can you use your cell phone on the trading floor?

or is it banned for u?!
I haven't set foot on a trading floor in a couple of years, so I don't know what the rules are like now, but when I was in the biz it was frowned upon but not explicitly banned. After the FX and Libor rigging scandals (and the idiots who got busted using Facebook to pass information about their fix exposures) I'm pretty sure they're banned in most places now.
Leftie likes this.
Shiny Things is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 10:34 AM   #18

Aw, guys (and girls), you're making me blush. Glad you like what I do.

Since the question came up in this thread: I actually did work at an investment bank (I was an FX options market-maker for nearly ten years, and a quant for two years before that). I packed it in a couple of years ago and moved to California to work at a software firm. (And I highly recommend doing the same if you want to get out of Singapore; California is fantastic. I'm writing this sitting by the pool in Palm Springs.)

Part of the reason I left the FX options business was so I could broaden my horizons and I've done a lot of that just reading and posting on here. It's a great place to learn about what investments are being sold (the legit ones and the dodgy ones); what people are interested in, finance-wise; and it's a place to hone my writing style as well.

And Klavier - investing for the long term is pretty easy. I run a little consulting biz on the side, giving hedging and investment advice to large investors and corporations who need independent advice, and usually I charge for this sort of advice, but for small investors the solution is dead easy:
* Put your money in a mix of low-cost stock and bond ETFs - for Singaporean investors, that's ES3 and A35, respectively; make the percentages equal to "110 minus your age" in stocks, and the rest in bonds;
* Once a year, at the same time every year, rebalance your money - buy and sell to bring your stocks and bonds back to that "110 minus your age" proportion;
* Go to the pub.

You can ignore all the trendy cr@p out there like commodities, structured deposits, contra trading, forex, robo-trade-bots, blah blah blah, all of it is worse than a simple stocks-bonds mix. Just do this and you'll be ahead of nearly everyone else in the markets.
ES3 currently stands at 3.33. If one wants to take the route of index investing, should he or she time the entry? Like buying when it is below X.XX amount etc. Or just purchase regardless of the price?
sheep06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 10:42 AM   #19
Supremacy Member

ES3 currently stands at 3.33. If one wants to take the route of index investing, should he or she time the entry? Like buying when it is below X.XX amount etc. Or just purchase regardless of the price?

If you believe you can predict whether the market is going up or down, then of course you will time the entry.
If you believe that you are unable to predict, then timing is not possible, just buy regularly.
sheep06 likes this.
limster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 11:31 AM   #20
Junior Moderator

ears, and a quant for two years before that). I packed it in a couple of years ago and moved to California to work at a software firm. (And I highly recommend doing the same if you want to get out of Singapore; California is fantastic. I'm writing this sitting by the pool in Palm Springs.)
Ah... Any software firm that like to hire Singaporeans?
(Note: no degree in computational science)

Kudos to shiny things for cutting the ******** by most scammers and salesmen and advocating for the small investors.

Any reason why this nick? *amused* just tot that ur nick is a warning to investors not to be lured by all things shiny... Heh heh
archcherub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 11:48 AM   #21
Master Member

Aw, guys (and girls), you're making me blush. Glad you like what I do.

Since the question came up in this thread: I actually did work at an investment bank (I was an FX options market-maker for nearly ten years, and a quant for two years before that). I packed it in a couple of years ago and moved to California to work at a software firm. (And I highly recommend doing the same if you want to get out of Singapore; California is fantastic. I'm writing this sitting by the pool in Palm Springs.)

Part of the reason I left the FX options business was so I could broaden my horizons and I've done a lot of that just reading and posting on here. It's a great place to learn about what investments are being sold (the legit ones and the dodgy ones); what people are interested in, finance-wise; and it's a place to hone my writing style as well.

And Klavier - investing for the long term is pretty easy. I run a little consulting biz on the side, giving hedging and investment advice to large investors and corporations who need independent advice, and usually I charge for this sort of advice, but for small investors the solution is dead easy:
* Put your money in a mix of low-cost stock and bond ETFs - for Singaporean investors, that's ES3 and A35, respectively; make the percentages equal to "110 minus your age" in stocks, and the rest in bonds;
* Once a year, at the same time every year, rebalance your money - buy and sell to bring your stocks and bonds back to that "110 minus your age" proportion;
* Go to the pub.

You can ignore all the trendy cr@p out there like commodities, structured deposits, contra trading, forex, robo-trade-bots, blah blah blah, all of it is worse than a simple stocks-bonds mix. Just do this and you'll be ahead of nearly everyone else in the markets.
Actually is the permanent portfolio better? Since it has gold, cash markets, stocks, and long term bonds? Since it catches the money everywhere it goes
CookieMonsta88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 01:20 PM   #22

very coherent and consistent thinker and a very patient educator. the forum is very lucky to have him as a constant contributor, especially with his wealth of experience on the institution and FX side, which make you wonder why would he recommend such a passive approach if he did that in the past. perhaps an indication to the rest in choosing who to listen to as a mentor.
wahkao3 and GreenTeaIceCream like this.
Old 04-11-2014, 01:27 PM   #23
Supremacy Member

shiny no wonder I get dirty looks when I use my cell on the trading floor!

your IT and programming skills must be #1!

what regions or industries are you most interested in right now?

yukari_san3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 02:02 PM   #24
Master Member

Shiny Things: you working in software company as programmer?

btw, how old are you now?
wahkao3 likes this.
weird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 02:25 PM   #25

was lurking around. Yeah i look at his advice all the time.
urameshi_85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 07:02 PM   #26
High Supremacy Member

* Go to the pub.

GOOD TIP!!! THE REAL MASTER HAS SPOKEN!
wahkao3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 08:16 PM   #27
Supremacy Member

Ah... Any software firm that like to hire Singaporeans?
(Note: no degree in computational science)
I was reading in the WSJ that you don't really need a computation science degree these days. There are a lot of people out there who have found programming jobs simply by taking online courses.

You just have to get your foot in the door around SG somehow and/or build up a portfolio.
focus1974 likes this.
IronMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 08:18 PM   #28
Supremacy Member

I would have started this sort of club months ago but I didn't want to start some sort of weird bromance.
IronMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 08:27 PM   #29

Shiny Things

1) Excellent skills at doing due dilligence

2) Good reasoning and sound investment process

With such a great and rare gem here. Its a loss to the any bank if you haven't been hired in a investment banking team already.

You are truly a asset Shiny Things!

#1 fan

Yukari
Agree fully. He is the no. 1 investment advisor here.
wahkao3 likes this.
sebastgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 09:27 PM   #30
Master Member

When to buy es3 and a35?
1 lump sum or monthly purchase ?
wahkao3 likes this.
neanea is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.