Advice please

kawakaka

Reaction score
i am meeting one of the agents tomorrow and he is recommending me to get 2 kinds of insurance.

1) investment life

2) savings insurance

what should i consider before purchasing this type of insurance? just wanna get some advice here.

im 22 only currently working.

Darkzi0n

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Nothing to look out for. Dont buy it. Cancel the meeting. Spend a few months reading up on the basics of investment etc. if somehow u still wan it (although I doubt so) den schedule to meet again

dork32

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
How many agents drive big cars or stay in nice condo/landed properties? where do you think their money come from?

How many aunties or uncles drive big cars or stay in nice condo because they have bought the investments/insurance from them? what do you think happened to their money?

djchris

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i am meeting one of the agents tomorrow and he is recommending me to get 2 kinds of insurance.

1) investment life

2) savings insurance

what should i consider before purchasing this type of insurance? just wanna get some advice here.

When I was 22, I took up an ILP plan (essentially just a life policy with more fund options for one to choose from). Fast forward almost 10 years later, I really regret getting it because the premiums are expensive and the coverage was inadequate. I surrendered the policy while it was at a loss when I decided to get proper coverage and separate insurance from investment.

Your insurance agent will be sharing these 2 kinds of insurance (because the commission from them are quite good)

1) Investment Life (aka life policies or investment-linked policies) - The names can be different, but essentially they are expensive insurance policies that promise cash payout at the end of like 20 years. The numbers sound awesome but if you look at it closely, you will realise two things.

First, that you are limiting your returns to less than 5 percent because no insurer will pay out more than they need to. They will follow the benefits illustration closely, and add a little bit more. Second, you will realise that your insurance premiums are much higher while the coverage is probably inadequate. If you think carefully about the actual coverage you want, the premiums would be really high.

2) Savings insurance

Essentially you are giving them money monthly in exchange for a little bit of insurance. But after X number of years, you get your premiums back + some sort of a interest or bonus. Again, the coverage is inadequate and shouldn't be the only insurance you have. I won't comment if the amount of bonus or interest is worth putting your money in, but you need to ask yourself if you can get the same amount of bonus or interest using another investment vehicle.

End of the day, my suggestions are simple. Don't link savings and investments with insurance. Insurers are promoting investment and savings linked insurance because they can charge you a higher premium and use your money to invest to generate a much higher return for them.

If you really want to get insurance because you care about your family and want them to be taken care of if anything happens to you, get a pure insurance product. i.e. term insurance.

kawakaka

Reaction score
When I was 22, I took up an ILP plan (essentially just a life policy with more fund options for one to choose from). Fast forward almost 10 years later, I really regret getting it because the premiums are expensive and the coverage was inadequate. I surrendered the policy while it was at a loss when I decided to get proper coverage and separate insurance from investment.

Your insurance agent will be sharing these 2 kinds of insurance (because the commission from them are quite good)

1) Investment Life (aka life policies or investment-linked policies) - The names can be different, but essentially they are expensive insurance policies that promise cash payout at the end of like 20 years. The numbers sound awesome but if you look at it closely, you will realise two things.

First, that you are limiting your returns to less than 5 percent because no insurer will pay out more than they need to. They will follow the benefits illustration closely, and add a little bit more. Second, you will realise that your insurance premiums are much higher while the coverage is probably inadequate. If you think carefully about the actual coverage you want, the premiums would be really high.

2) Savings insurance

Essentially you are giving them money monthly in exchange for a little bit of insurance. But after X number of years, you get your premiums back + some sort of a interest or bonus. Again, the coverage is inadequate and shouldn't be the only insurance you have. I won't comment if the amount of bonus or interest is worth putting your money in, but you need to ask yourself if you can get the same amount of bonus or interest using another investment vehicle.

End of the day, my suggestions are simple. Don't link savings and investments with insurance. Insurers are promoting investment and savings linked insurance because they can charge you a higher premium and use your money to invest to generate a much higher return for them.

If you really want to get insurance because you care about your family and want them to be taken care of if anything happens to you, get a pure insurance product. i.e. term insurance.

thanks for the insightful explanation!

wahkao3

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
INVESTMENT MUST DO YOURSELF
CANNOT LET OTHER PPL DO FOR YOU!!!!

limster

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
You should meet and let him hard-sell and see if you can resist. Make sure you meet at Starbucks and if he ask you if you want anything to drink order the most expensive thing!

After that, train your willpower to resist!

If your will is weakening, start chanting the magic words FA.... TA.... FA.... TA....

Dividends Warrior

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

1) investment life

2) savings insurance

Do not mix investment with insurance.

Genesisz

Master Member
Reaction score
You should meet and let him hard-sell and see if you can resist. Make sure you meet at Starbucks and if he ask you if you want anything to drink order the most expensive thing!

After that, train your willpower to resist!

If your will is weakening, start chanting the magic words FA.... TA.... FA.... TA....

This is so funny..... :s13:

Genesisz

Master Member
Reaction score

1) investment life

2) savings insurance

Try get the agent to insure you (i.e. sell you) the medisave approved integrated plans, i.e. PruShield, IncomeShield, Health Shield etc.

torrent06

Reaction score
You should be aware many of the active forumers here are against mixing insurance and investment so you are possibly getting a skewed view here. They have their point but I would hesitate to say it is the best option for everyone.

While term has its merits, it also has drawbacks (no cash value so it can lapse) and some don't cover for life. I was glad I had got whole life insurance when I was young and healthy. Now I can't buy any more due to medical problems. I also had to stop paying premium due to financial difficulties along the way but my policy did not lapse because of the accrued cash value.

Most people won't think insurance is a necessity until they need it. I had the same thought before (no significant medical history in my family) but the fact that the policy has cash value that can help me save up for retirement led me to sign up anyway. The thing about insurance is you can't buy it when you need it. So do get insured while you are young. If you are lucky to be in good health, you can afford to wait but what if you are not lucky? Can you take the risk of not being insured or would you rather bear the relatively more affordable premium instead?

Also please don't try to get a free expensive drink or meal from the agent unless you know he is a top earner. Not all of them are making big bucks. In fact the few good ones (those who act in the client's interest instead of their own) I know aren't and having all this negativity against agents will just drive the good ones out of the industry, leaving behind those who just know how to sell.

limster

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
While term has its merits, it also has drawbacks (no cash value so it can lapse) and some don't cover for life. I was glad I had got whole life insurance when I was young and healthy. Now I can't buy any more due to medical problems. I also had to stop paying premium due to financial difficulties along the way but my policy did not lapse because of the accrued cash value.

Most people won't think insurance is a necessity until they need it. I had the same thought before (no significant medical history in my family) but the fact that the policy has cash value that can help me save up for retirement led me to sign up anyway. The thing about insurance is you can't buy it when you need it. So do get insured while you are young. If you are lucky to be in good health, you can afford to wait but what if you are not lucky? Can you take the risk of not being insured or would you rather bear the relatively more affordable premium instead?

Wow this sounds almost exactly like what an insurance agent will say... so persuasive, my willpower is weakening... quick, I need to chant the magic words .... FA ... TA... FA .... TA.....

This is why I say that the above sounds like what an agent will say:
(1) quickly dismisses low-commission term plans with "no cash value" and "don't cover with life." Ignoring the concept of "buy term and invest the rest."
(2) instill fear into client with stories of dread disease and illness, perhaps tell stories about some fictitious relative or client.
(3) the overly expensive ILP suddenly looks 'affordable' when compared to the prospect of having critical illness and no insurance.

All of this has been discussed before.
A "dividend warrior" investment plan + Term + hospitalisation is a better alternative for those that are willing to learn to DIY. With the power of CD/compounding/and occasionally lucky capital gain, a $1m share portfolio yielding $4,000 a month dividends is achievable.

Inflation will quickly destroy the value of your whole life policy - use your calculation - Life policy with sum assured of $200,000 seems big (actually its the premiums that seem big), but factor in 5% inflation, how much will $200,000 be worth when you are 65? Yes you get bonuses but they won't match inflation. I confess, I have a small life policy, got conned when young into signing, so I can see the bonuses added to the sum assured, don't add up to much.

On the other, the share portfolio is likely to grow and match the inflation rate. This is because large corporations and reits are able to raise prices to match inflation and thus their revenue will match inflation.

Finally, the share portfolio can be handed over to your children and the stream of dividends is forever. The stream of income/annuities/payments from insurance policy stops on death of the insured.

simon_84

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Finally, the share portfolio can be handed over to your children and the stream of dividends is forever. The stream of income/annuities/payments from insurance policy stops on death of the insured.

actually for life policies, alternatively you can also view it as part of your assets to your future descendant.
though the insured has passed on, so long as the descendant never claim, the bonus will still continue to build up and the policy deem to continue unless a claim is exercised.

for investment plans, is very likely that the insured will get less coverage protection than term and life insurance.

one disclaimer though, i'm on group term policy and hospitalization so basically i invest the surplus cash.
recently also just add an additional critical illness rider at the age of 30.
overall premium per month = 26 bucks

Last edited:

djchris

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I'm currious about that. If you have a life policy and you don't claim upon death. Will the non guaranteed amount keep building up? That said, the deceased also can't pay premium so that policy will automatically lapse? Or automatically start cannibalizing the profits to pay for the premiums?

archcherub

Reaction score

Since term is abt 10-30 times cheaper than Whole Life insurance of the same coverage, I have a good solution for u to settle the cash value so it would not lapse.

Just pay as much in advance!
for 1 whole life policy premium, u stash into term policy, that is paying for 10 yrs in advance!!
if u scare 10yrs not enough, then throw in for 30 - 40yrs lor...

i am pretty sure ALL insurers allow premium payment in advance.

And not all, but some insurers even has a simple calulation where they credit a small interest for u paying in advance (maybe not for term, i seen it offered for advance payment for other plans)

Think abt it, paying in advance for term gives u more bang and security than taking that insurance agent's advice where cash value provides security in case u have no more cash to pay....

Expert

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I am also considering between wholelife insurance and ILP by AXA.

AXA inspire Flexisaver projects 8% returns a yr, frankly it sounds too good to be true to me..

As for wanting to get a wholelife insurance, my concern is just coverage for early CI. Is it worth it to get wholelife insurance for early CI coverage? AXA life exential prime covers till 70yo, and can draw 2 times for 2 different CI up to $75k each time.. How much is a term insurance that covers early CI?

Anyone has any views on this?

Last edited:

archcherub

Reaction score
I am also considering between wholelife insurance and ILP by AXA.

AXA inspire Flexisaver projects 8% returns a yr, frankly it sounds too good to be true to me..

As for wanting to get a wholelife insurance, my concern is just coverage for early CI. Is it worth it to get wholelife insurance for early CI coverage? AXA life exential prime covers till 70yo, and can draw 2 times for 2 different CI up to $75k each time.. How much is a term insurance that covers early CI?

Anyone has any views on this?

think people repeat the buy term invest the different theme till SIBEI SIAN liao.

u ask N times, u will get 1 answer.
term and invest the rest is always cheaper- no matter what other fanciful CI, limited, special CI, multi CI, 1-2-3-4 CI, or ABC CI.

u want a different answer, try asking the insurance agent lor... sure got colorful answers why u should pay money for their products.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.