Is this AIA cancer guard any good?

addict951

High Honorary Member
Reaction score
The coverage not a lot.
They have 3 plans, most ex one is about $50/month. Insured up to $80k
No need see doctor one
Distributed by Citibank-I believe cardholders here Also received the same promo via email?

toh_3312

Reaction score
The coverage not a lot.
No need see doctor one
Distributed by Citibank-I believe cardholders here Also received the same promo via email?

I also received email from citit bank. $50 a mth is equal to 600 per year. If you are looking into cancer protection, with that amount you can get higher protection coverage from Tokio marine. But good thing abt citibank promo is that you do no need to undergo medical underwritting. Do let me know if you would like to find out more as im this field.

BBCWatcher

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I’m not a big fan of “spin the wheel, pick a single risk” policies.

Think of it this way. Cancer is bad. Cancer surely requires medical care, in some cases it can cause you to miss work (and lose income), and in some cases it’s fatal (permanent loss of income). Is cancer the only ailment that can result in these life altering problems? No, not even close. So why would you want to pay separately and extra for one cause of these life altering problems? Don’t you want to protect against the life altering problems, no matter what the cause? Stroke, diabetes, heart disease, etc., etc?

I much prefer “all risks” coverage. Yes, of course, “all risks” coverage can cost more (not always, surprisingly), but that’s because you’re actually insuring yourself better.

So, before you even consider “single risk” coverage (and I wouldn’t), focus on defending against life altering problems no matter what the cause(s). That usually means what I call the “Big 3”:

* Adequate catastrophic medical insurance. I think Prudential’s public hospital A ward plan, with their “Lite” rider if you want to cap out-of-pocket costs, is a good value. I don’t think MediShield Life is enough, but I’m glad it sets a floor.

* Disability income insurance. If you cannot work because of disability, you cannot work. It doesn’t matter to you whether that’s because of cancer or dementia or stroke or a concussion. Loss of income is loss of income. Yes, this insurance is “expensive,” but shop around. I’d much rather have $3,000/month of genuine disability income insurance than $4,500/month of cancer only coverage. There are at least 4 carriers in Singapore that offer disability income insurance.

* Simple term life insurance, only if you have dependents who would end up in serious financial trouble without you.

Once you cover those 3 bases (or 2 if you don’t need life insurance), then you might consider something else. Actually, the 4th highest insurance priority in my view is travel medical insurance with medical repatriation, if you travel overseas. I currently like Bupa Global’s Basic annual plan, priced in British pounds and purchased directly online, with a coupon code if you look around. They offer a much better value than anything I’ve found locally, and they’ve got agreements with lots of medical providers around the world for direct billing. Travel medical insurance covers you if you need emergency medical care overseas, and it gets you home (to Singapore) once you’re stable enough to travel. You don’t need anything beyond that, such as lost baggage insurance — just use a credit card that includes that feature when you buy your trip if you want coverage above what the airline provides. (There are several such credit cards, including at least a couple of the no annual fee CIMB credit cards that offer some decent non-medical travel insurance, if that’s what you want.)

Anyway, the highest priority when buying insurance is to protect against catastrophic, life altering events no matter what the cause, insofar as possible. Everything else is at least secondary, or unnecessary. Losing some underwear and a couple shirts is not catastrophic and life altering. Cancer can be life altering, sure, but it is far from the only medical calamity that is life altering — it’s only one cause, and it’s not even the most common cause among working people.

....OK, with that background, no, I’m not a fan.

kindaichi83

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
yah

i was told of this policy also

cause was denied coverage previously so i tot this is good since no medical check up needed?

item2sell

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
yah

i was told of this policy also

cause was denied coverage previously so i tot this is good since no medical check up needed?

I think all critical illness insurance don't cover pre-existing condition.
and you have been denied, i think there will be problems if you need to claim later on?

kindaichi83

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I think all critical illness insurance don't cover pre-existing condition.
and you have been denied, i think there will be problems if you need to claim later on?

they told me no need to declare pre existing conditions also

meaning shouldnt be a problem?

as long as u dont have cancer b4

Geeezz

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
gt it as well. think ish no underwriting till a certain cap nia.

item2sell

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
It appears that there are now more "no underwriting" insurance.

DBS website show me a Cancer insurance as well, no underwriting.

If you do not need to claim, the insurer gets all the premium paid.
In the unfortunate event you need to claim, the insurer will dig out history and disqualify you from claiming (of course they will refund your premium without interest).

Best of all, Insurance company save the time needed to approve your insurance.
Collect from everyone, and when need to pay out, scrutinize the claimant.

To me, this actually benefits the Insurer. Head Insurer Wins, Tail Consumer lose.

boredboiboi

Master Member
Reaction score
It appears that there are now more "no underwriting" insurance.

DBS website show me a Cancer insurance as well, no underwriting.

If you do not need to claim, the insurer gets all the premium paid.
In the unfortunate event you need to claim, the insurer will dig out history and disqualify you from claiming (of course they will refund your premium without interest).

Best of all, Insurance company save the time needed to approve your insurance.
Collect from everyone, and when need to pay out, scrutinize the claimant.

To me, this actually benefits the Insurer. Head Insurer Wins, Tail Consumer lose.
There is always a exclusion, no pre existing covered

boredboiboi

Master Member
Reaction score
The coverage not a lot.
No need see doctor one

Depends on what u actually looking at as well. Is the condition covered enough? As its meant for only certain condition. If u r healthy, go for a more comprehensive coverage if budget allows. If not we will hear again insurance lie one, tio illness liao never pay money because condition not covered. -.-

kindaichi83

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Depends on what u actually looking at as well. Is the condition covered enough? As its meant for only certain condition. If u r healthy, go for a more comprehensive coverage if budget allows. If not we will hear again insurance lie one, tio illness liao never pay money because condition not covered. -.-

for me i got denied for critical illness because of certain pre-existing conditions so i tot i should need a term cancer (since it is the longest drag to die illness) and since this one no need for me to declare i tot i will get it?

if they play prank, can i sue them?

boredboiboi

Master Member
Reaction score
for me i got denied for critical illness because of certain pre-existing conditions so i tot i should need a term cancer (since it is the longest drag to die illness) and since this one no need for me to declare i tot i will get it?

if they play prank, can i sue them?

No underwriting but they wont pay for any pre existing as its always part of the term and condition.

Samaritan101

Reaction score
No underwriting but they wont pay for any pre existing as its always part of the term and condition.
I agree with boredboiboi.

Usually pre-existing conditions are not covered unless it is states on the plan no medical underwriting. You will just waste money if you sue the company.

mummynew

Reaction score
I am always very 'disturbed' by the term 'pre-existing condition'.

In this case of buying a cancer cover. A person currently doesn't have cancer but has a benign growth (such as a breast lump or fibroid) or a mildly irregular blood test (such as less than optimal PSA test for prostate), then 10 years later this condition turns cancer. Thereafter dispute may begin as in whether condition is 'pre-existing' or not.

item2sell

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

In this case of buying a cancer cover. A person currently doesn't have cancer but has a benign growth (such as a breast lump or fibroid) or a mildly irregular blood test (such as less than optimal PSA test for prostate), then 10 years later this condition turns cancer. Thereafter dispute may begin as in whether condition is 'pre-existing' or not.

exactly, the buyer takes the risk.
no risk on the insurance company as they can find fault and refund you your premium.

boredboiboi

Master Member
Reaction score

That is why is best to go with underwriting, accept liao then they cant go back on their decision as you have declared.

BBCWatcher

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
no risk on the insurance company as they can find fault and refund you your premium.
Why would the insurance company refund the premium? You'd still be covered for some other cancer, just not that cancer.

I recommend reading my earlier post.

item2sell

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Why would the insurance company refund the premium? You'd still be covered for some other cancer, just not that cancer.

I recommend reading my earlier post.

After RIP from a related to pre existing cancer, you think they will pay out the benefits?

item2sell

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Example. Someone go scan. Then find out CT scan got a mini lump. No further follow up needed as lump less than 1mm.

So now buy critical illness insurance. No underwriting. But no cover pre existing

All well. Later 2 years on. The lump grew.

Now. Insurance found out the lump was detected on an earlier scan and no follow up. It is under pre existing.
No payout.

On the other hand. If there is underwriting. The minor lump will have been taken into consideration. And payout will be confirmed

No underwriting sounds like a trap.
It makes you believe you are covered becos you are paying premium.
Insurance company like more people to cover.
So that they get all these funds in.
No claim. Good. Eat up the premium.
When there is a claim. Deploy all resources to dig out prior history.
It is a win situation for insurance company.
At the same time. Save cost from doing underwriiting.
It’s brilliant.

Last edited:
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.