Anyone invest their CPF OA and CPF SA into STI ETF

xiao_cai7

Reaction score
Dear All,

If the STI ETF has historically shown to have around 9-15% returns and everyone is advocating it, do any of you use your CPF to invest it.

So if the sum are used to invest, then when you sell the investments before age 55, does it return to your CPF OA and SA?

Maybe can share your reasons and experience why you did it?

Futureskid

Reaction score
Dear All,

If the STI ETF has historically shown to have around 9-15% returns and everyone is advocating it, do any of you use your CPF to invest it.

So if the sum are used to invest, then when you sell the investments before age 55, does it return to your CPF OA and SA?

Who is EVERYONE??

knightdreamer

Reaction score
Dear All,

If you DIY. From what i understand is after you sell it will go to a "CPF investment account". you have to request to put back to cpf OA/SA account

Last edited:

bslow27

Reaction score
If no instruction given, the money will go back to the CPF OA after two months automatically.

heeddy

Reaction score
Yes, I would like to know as well. Is there anyone here investing their CPF OA in STI ETF?

limster

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
STI ETF you can invest beyond the 35% stock limit, so after you hit the stock limit, you got no choice but to buy STI ETF.

I bought STI ETF using CPF during the last crash. Otherwise, I treat CPF as the bond portion and will only use it again when there is a big correction.

teerance85

Reaction score
STI ETF you can invest beyond the 35% stock limit, so after you hit the stock limit, you got no choice but to buy STI ETF.

I bought STI ETF using CPF during the last crash. Otherwise, I treat CPF as the bond portion and will only use it again when there is a big correction.

Wrong, the ETF is bought through the market and the treatment is exactly the same as buying shares.

The 35% limit doesnt count if you are buying insurance endownments or etc (everything else besides stocks).

limster

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Wrong, the ETF is bought through the market and the treatment is exactly the same as buying shares.

The 35% limit doesnt count if you are buying insurance endownments or etc (everything else besides stocks).

The fact that you say wrong shows that you don't hold STI ETF in your CPF-OA and haven't bothered to look at the CPF website before posting?

Myself, I already stated that I bought STI ETF during the last financial crisis, so I have a fair idea what is the limit for STI ETF.

2009 posting: Increasing the CPF OA Investment Limit for Stocks

2012 posting: http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/70466025-post6.html

CPF Board itself: http://mycpf.cpf.gov.sg/NR/rdonlyre...-322687316646/0/INV_InstrumentsunderCPFIS.pdf
(edit: shockingly makavali posted this linked before you posted your 'wrong' post... so you don't even read links to CPF website posted by others before you say wrong?)

heeddy

Reaction score
Thanks limster for the references!

The fact that you say wrong shows that you don't hold STI ETF in your CPF-OA and haven't bothered to look at the CPF website before posting?

Myself, I already stated that I bought STI ETF during the last financial crisis, so I have a fair idea what is the limit for STI ETF.

CPF Board itself: http://mycpf.cpf.gov.sg/NR/rdonlyre...-322687316646/0/INV_InstrumentsunderCPFIS.pdf
(edit: shockingly makavali posted this linked before you posted your 'wrong' post... so you don't even read links to CPF website posted by others before you say wrong?)

wuga98

Reaction score
Thanks bro for the sharing. Am I correct to say that I can buy sti etf using 100% of my SA? Where can I find out more about it's return. Thanks.

limster

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thanks bro for the sharing. Am I correct to say that I can buy sti etf using 100% of my SA? Where can I find out more about it's return. Thanks.

you can use CPF-OA for STI ETF not SA.

The return for STI ETF can be found by going to the website and downloading the annual report, or alternatively, just look at the returns of the STI.

mambo123

Reaction score
Hi,

I understand that I can use my CPF SA to buy STI ETF but I don't seem to be able to find any information on how I can start using my CPF SA. Can someone please help to show me the steps in using my CPF SA to buy STI ETF?
I currently have CPF Investment Account with OCBC Bank and accounts with Poems and CIMB. I don't think the Poems and CIMB platform allow me to buy STI ETF using my CPF SA.

mambo123

Reaction score
can only use CPF OA to buy.

I read in the CPF web which says SA can buy STI ETF. Have I missed anything? Anyone has any clues?

https://mycpf.cpf.gov.sg/Members/Schemes/schemes/optimising-my-cpf/cpf-investment-schemes

2dvu5c2.jpg

vbhelper

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
If I have open DBS cpf investment account, how to link it to the brokerage firm so that u can buy stock using cpf?

mambo123

Reaction score
you have to click the list of ETFs and read the fine print.

Thanks! I missed the fine print which says the 4 ETFs listed are available for CPF OA only.
So misleading.

I wonder then how to invest in CPF SA to beat the 4% CPF interest.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.