Interactive Brokers - SGD now available for funding

Status
Not open for further replies.

USDollar

Reaction score
Sup, anyone here trading futures with IB?

Seems like GC gold futures chart for hourly and lower timeframes only display data up to 1 and a half month ago. Beyond that it says invalid step or range.
Daily candles however isnt limited in data.

Is this the case with IB? or is it the lack of some sort of data subscription?

dodomarket

Reaction score
It depends on the settlement period which you should be looking at.

Reference can be found in: http://www.cmegroup.com/trading/metals/precious/gold_quotes_settlements_futures.html

Alternatively, you could use tradingview to help you with the charts.
https://www.tradingview.com/chart/70ovQaaX/

But you would need to specify GC1! (GC Continuous)

Sup, anyone here trading futures with IB?

Seems like GC gold futures chart for hourly and lower timeframes only display data up to 1 and a half month ago. Beyond that it says invalid step or range.
Daily candles however isnt limited in data.

Is this the case with IB? or is it the lack of some sort of data subscription?

Last edited:

Zeoraw

Reaction score
Hey, I just confirmed with them and yes the 25 years old thing is valid up to your 26th birthday, on your birthday.

In this case, do you think its worth it for me to open an IB account? If im currently 23?

edit: calculation as follows:

assuming every 6 months I spend $30 USD rebalancing in SCB, at 26 yo I wld have spent $180 (6 x 30) on comm, but if I change to IB, I would only spend $108 (3 x 12 x 3) saving about $72. Beyond 26 yo, I wld have gotten a job so I would be purchasing monthly to re balance assuming $20 USD in SCB, at 30 would have spent about (4yr x 12 x 20 = $960) but if I used IB, I would only have spent about ($480), so doesn't it mean either way I will not lose if I purchase in IB compared to SCB?

Hey, I will the same age as you this year, however, they are not allowing me to trade options due to the following reasons:

1) I'm still a student
2) I do not have a minimum income of 40k per annum (Savings are not counted)

Please update me with your experience.

beefjerky

Reaction score
Hey, I will the same age as you this year, however, they are not allowing me to trade options due to the following reasons:

1) I'm still a student
2) I do not have a minimum income of 40k per annum (Savings are not counted)

Please update me with your experience.

even the standard buy calls and puts? oh actually my plan was more for IWDA and EIMI

proton91

Reaction score
Hi guys, how do we interpret these fields under position section of the IBKR mobile app.

1) market value
2) average price
3) cost basis
4) unrealized p/l
5) realized p/l

Using this as reference.

OiLvmMs.png

Last edited:

Tiger9119

Reaction score
Hi guys, how do we interpret these fields under position section of the IBKR mobile app.

1) market value
2) average price
3) cost basis
4) unrealized p/l
5) realized p/l

Using this as reference.

OiLvmMs.png

1) market value = current value of the shares (based on your screenshot, the value should be $1961.
2) average price = average price per share that you bought
3) cost basis = total cost of the shares you bought (based on the screenshot, it doesn't tally). Your cost basis should be $1958+88.40 = 2046.40
4) unrealized p/l = based on the total value of the shares when you bought minus current price
5) realized p/l = after you sell some of the shares.

proton91

Reaction score
1) market value = current value of the shares (based on your screenshot, the value should be $1961.
2) average price = average price per share that you bought
3) cost basis = total cost of the shares you bought (based on the screenshot, it doesn't tally). Your cost basis should be $1958+88.40 = 2046.40
4) unrealized p/l = based on the total value of the shares when you bought minus current price
5) realized p/l = after you sell some of the shares.

Thanks for this. Is there any reason why the figures for #1 and #3 not tallying to the actual price?

Tiger9119

Reaction score
Thanks for this. Is there any reason why the figures for #1 and #3 not tallying to the actual price?

#1. could be the price of the share was moving too fast.
#3. not sure about this. how much did you bought all the shares at?

USDollar

Reaction score
It depends on the settlement period which you should are looking at.

Reference can be found in: http://www.cmegroup.com/trading/metals/precious/gold_quotes_settlements_futures.html

Alternatively, you could use tradingview to help you with the charts.
https://www.tradingview.com/chart/70ovQaaX/

But you would need to specify GC1! (GC Continuous)

You are right, tradingview is able to display the data of 1H and lower timeframes using GC1!.
So i am presuming that IB should be able to display that data as well. They do have GC continuous but data of that timeframe is limited.

Wondering is we need subscription to have greater historical data?

dodomarket

Reaction score
I doubt IB provides historical data that spans for many years.

It's stated in this > link < on IB site. (It's API and the actual charts won't be far from it)

Unavailable Historical Data
Tick-by-tick historical data. The smallest bar size is 1 second.
Studies and indicators such as Weighted Moving Averages or Bollinger Bands.
Bars which size is 30 seconds or less older than six months
Expired futures data older than two years counting from the future's expiration date.
Data for continuous futures contracts
Expired options, FOPs, warrants and structured products.
End of Day (EOD) data for options, FOPs, warrants and structured products.
Data for expired future spreads
Data for securities which are no longer trading.

You are right, tradingview is able to display the data of 1H and lower timeframes using GC1!.
So i am presuming that IB should be able to display that data as well. They do have GC continuous but data of that timeframe is limited.

Wondering is we need subscription to have greater historical data?

Last edited:

MikeDirnt78

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I think it depends on the tickers.

For GE stock, I can see prices till as far back as 1980.

beefjerky

Reaction score
If my account is a cash account and I do the FXCONV to purchase IWDA, i will need to wait 2 days before the USD comes in before I can purchase right?

USDollar

Reaction score
I doubt IB provides historical data that spans for many years.

It's stated in this > link < on IB site. (It's API and the actual charts won't be far from it)

I see, it states "Bars which size is 30 seconds or less older than six months" but even on the 30/15 min GC chart all that IB display is data up till 2 months ago (24th Jan 18). I dont need years of historical data prolly just a couple months back.

For FX pairs and stocks there's no problem viewing even 1 min chart dating years back. Not sure about the availability of futures data but given something that free sources like tradingview etc is able to display, im guessing IB should likely be able to do as well.
There's a subscription for available for COMEX real time Lvl1&2 data, would anyone know if this would provide better depth of GC futures data?

dodomarket

Reaction score
You can open up a ticket with IB or have a chat with them. They will respond to you very quickly, probably within a day. Let us know what they come up with.

There's a subscription for available for COMEX real time Lvl1&2 data, would anyone know if this would provide better depth of GC futures data?

chopra

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Lovely. With Citibank Global Transfer (CGT) that should be a near-instant, $0 transfer from a U.S. dollar account at Citibank Singapore to a U.S. dollar account at Citibank U.S.

Which is not to say that I generally recommend keeping U.S. dollars in Singapore bank accounts, but if for whatever (strange) reason that's your current situation, there should be a zero cost fund transfer option here.

Hi BBCwatcher, why is Citibank US$ account better than DBS multi-currency?
I intend to open 6mths and then close. Seems like DBS multi-currency is a wiser choice -- unless you are stacking citibank US$ with maxigain to maintain citigold relationship.

Citibank: Can confirm min balance is $5k, yield is 0.5%?
DBS multi-currency. Min balance $3k, yield up to 0.1%.

beefjerky

Reaction score
Do your know why the bid and ask at the bottom looks so weird? Im supposed to take in credit but it shows a negative. and why is the right side lower than the left side?
6fxixd.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.