HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Interactive Brokers - SGD now available for funding

Like Tree565Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 19-02-2011, 12:53 PM   #16
Supremacy Member

What's the best way to withdraw funds in foreign brokerages like IB or OptionsXpress?

Does any of you open a USD current account here?

I realised it costs alot if we convert to SGD and deposit it in bank...the forex spread is v. wide.
Welcome to the markets ? Thats how currency works.
Old 01-05-2011, 02:42 AM   #17
Banned

dont know if any of you need still interested with IB, but i have been with them for over 2 years and i love their commissions..

dont have keep your funds in USD because you can convert your $$ with them (like i can convert my USD in my IB account into EUR through their FX platform and TT the euros to my euro denominated bank account in europe crazy cheap interbank rate)
Buggier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 11:34 PM   #18
Supremacy Member

hows the comms like ?

I m having -
$9.95 usd for stock trade
$1.25 usd for option contract
Old 02-05-2011, 10:28 AM   #19
Master Member

IB charge $1 per trade for stock. Not sure of others, as I trade stock only in IB.
You need to have 30 trades per month, otherwise, another $30 per month.
peterchan75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 05:32 PM   #20

IB charges decently compared to others. Also, they provide access to a lot of equity exchanges world wide just incase you want to trade stocks from different countries.
cardiozee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 01:48 PM   #21
Master Member

IB charge $1 per trade for stock. Not sure of others, as I trade stock only in IB.
You need to have 30 trades per month, otherwise, another $30 per month.
Hi friend, when u withdraw from IB, is it a hassle? Do they charge u fees for it? Thanks
Old 06-05-2011, 02:14 PM   #22
Master Member

interested to know too.
ipaq4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2011, 03:52 PM   #23
Banned

IB is probably the only broker in the world that does not charge for international TT..

1 free withdrawal per month.
Buggier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2011, 09:23 PM   #24
High Supremacy Member

IB is probably the only broker in the world that does not charge for international TT..

1 free withdrawal per month.
That's pretty good!
chopra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2012, 08:28 PM   #25
Supremacy Member

Hi all a few question:

1) is there a cheapest way to fund OX and IB account ?

2) what is the recommended ways to do a withdrawl from OX and IB?

3) isit possible to transfer a funds from OX to IB?
Can't help you with #3, but I can answer #1 and #2 for Interactive Brokers, at least.

Since IB can't handle deposits and withdrawals in SGD, funding and withdrawing is always going to be a bit expensive. The absolute cheapest way to fund it is to set up an American bank account and use ACH transfers from that to fund your IB account (if you've got DBS Treasures, you can wire from your SG account to a first-party US account basically for free, and do an ACH from there); but the more practical way is just to do wire transfers from your bank account. Bring lubricant.

The best way to do a withdrawal from IB is, as Chopra mentioned, international wire transfer.

Until IB starts offering deposits and withdrawals in SGD, this is unfortunately the only realistic way of doing it.
Shiny Things is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2012, 09:43 PM   #26
Supremacy Member

Hi Shiny,
Thanks for your response, may I know any recommended America bank acount to open? any minimum requirement and how can I go about doing it? BTW what about funding optionxpress?
You need to go over there in person, which might be a slight problem - but I just rocked up to a Chase branch in San Francisco with my passport, a Singtel bill for proof of address, and a couple hundred USD to open the account, and they set it all up for me in a couple of hours and gave me some really nice coffee while I was waiting. (If you don't like Chase because of the whole London Whale thing, First Republic Bank and Wells Fargo are also perfectly good.)

I can't speak for Option Sex Press because I don't use them.
Old 15-07-2012, 09:58 PM   #27
Supremacy Member

I know from friends that there is something call custom clearing house like Western Union which helps to convert currency and send it over to the brokerage that you want. Do you happen to know how the whole process goes?
If you mean Custom House, which is now an arm of Western Union - they do help convert currency, but no brokerage in their right mind will take a deposit from Western Union, because it'd set off every money-laundering alarm in the system.

IB, for example, will generally kick your deposit right back to you if it doesn't come from an account with the same name as your brokerage account.
Old 16-07-2012, 12:20 AM   #28

I am in the midst of transferring my funds from oanda us to interactive brokers. Before that i have converted SGD to USD to fund another USD account overseas through oanda and transfer them via fxglobaltransfer. I just have to pay a flat fee of 25 USD for transferring but just the conversion rate alone is worthwhile because of the amount I was converting.
The USDSGD spread on Oanda i noticed was about 3 pips for the past few weeks. I recalled it was about 7 pips last year. I checked the DBS fx rates spread yesterday it was 71 pips and they widened it both ways as a yardstick.
Apparently Interactive Brokers has a form that i can fill up requesting my other pre-existing US brokerages to transfer assets to them and it's free. I am still waiting for it to go through though.

The other transfer fees I pay would be to TT SGD to Oanda directly or through MEPS to Chase Singapore (beneficiary bank) of which they would transfer it to Chase US but they charge an agent fee for that. There is a cheaper option to TT if you transfer <25,000 SGD via ibanking (DBS), but I have not tried that yet.
supratentorium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 03:59 PM   #29
Yxy
Master Member

Post Interactive Brokers - SGD now available for funding

I'm trying to open a new account at IB and noticed that SGD is now in the drop-down list for currencies available (wire transfer).
Online chat with them confirms that they added it recently.

FYI
liuliuwang likes this.
Yxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 05:38 PM   #30

Thanks for posting
supratentorium is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.