HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Interactive Brokers - SGD now available for funding

Like Tree739Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2018, 06:37 PM   #3616

No, U.S. Treasuries are not counted toward the US$60,000 U.S. estate tax exemption that applies to the estates of non-U.S. persons. Cash (in any currency) held at a U.S. broker is counted toward that exemption.

For example, let’s suppose you want to invest in U.S. Treasuries through a U.S. broker, and that you have US$100,000 you want to invest. Let’s assume you have no other U.S. assets that could be subject to the U.S. estate tax. (No shares of Apple stock, for example.) You may wish to deposit US$50,000 (below the US$60,000 exemption), buy a U.S. Treasury, deposit the remaining US$50,000, buy another U.S. Treasury (with a different maturity date), and loop/repeat such that you’re never above US$60,000 in cash....

....Or you can just buy more life insurance if you’re concerned about the U.S. estate tax liability.
Thanks BBC. I understood the first part of your comments. For the second part on the life insurance , how do we go about it. Are you saying to buy US life insurance ?

Sent from Google PIXEL 2 XL using GAGT
c1steady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 07:05 PM   #3617
Master Member

For the second part on the life insurance , how do we go about it.
The U.S. estate tax (if it applies) would effectively reduce the amount of wealth that ends up transferred to your heir(s). You can compensate for that tax-related subtraction using ordinary, simple life insurance, purchased from whichever reliable insurance carrier you wish -- and assuming that the post-tax amount left to your heir(s) is insufficient to support their lifestyles as you wish them to be supported, as they genuinely need to be supported.
BBCWatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2018, 04:53 PM   #3618
Master Member

Hi guys, normally which channel you use to seek support from IB? Live chat or message center or phone call?

I try the Live chat few times, but seem never able to get thru that connecting ....... I try message centre, I can see there are messages under the bell icon. But when I go to in box, there is nothing there.

I funded the account, but there isn't live data and graph. Is there a need to buy a package for level 1 US stock data? The briefing.com news need to pay?

Compare to etrade, TD Ameritrade and Optionexpress, this seem less user friendly. Did I missed something?
lenney is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2018, 08:02 PM   #3619

Hi all

for those who have done cash withdrawal from IB to a SG bank, do we need to inform the bank prior to making the transfer, if the amount involved is substantial (substantial for me is about 100k...

Thanks.
stamploversg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2018, 08:32 PM   #3620

Hi all

for those who have done cash withdrawal from IB to a SG bank, do we need to inform the bank prior to making the transfer, if the amount involved is substantial (substantial for me is about 100k...

Thanks.
Nope

Sent from Xiaomi REDMI NOTE 4 using GAGT
revhappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2018, 09:05 PM   #3621
Arch-Supremacy Member

Hi guys, normally which channel you use to seek support from IB? Live chat or message center or phone call?

I try the Live chat few times, but seem never able to get thru that connecting ....... I try message centre, I can see there are messages under the bell icon. But when I go to in box, there is nothing there.

I funded the account, but there isn't live data and graph. Is there a need to buy a package for level 1 US stock data? The briefing.com news need to pay?

Compare to etrade, TD Ameritrade and Optionexpress, this seem less user friendly. Did I missed something?
I usually message them. Or live chat with them. Most of the time, my queries were responded.

You need to tick the options in your market subscription page.

Last edited by MikeDirnt78; 13-02-2018 at 09:08 PM..
MikeDirnt78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2018, 01:30 AM   #3622
Supremacy Member

I use the message centre. Had to ping them this morning for an issue with tax lot matching and got a reply in less than ten minutes.

Yep, if you want real-time level-1 data, you need to pay for it (unless you do more than $10/month in brokerage). Go into Account Management / Manage Account / Trade Configuration / Market Data. Briefing.com news is free.

The details are all here.
Shiny Things is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2018, 01:58 PM   #3623
Master Member

Thanks for the sharing. Find some IB user application videos in Youtube.
Probably some of the data/info in my existing accounts are freebies.
lenney is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2018, 04:49 PM   #3624

Is there something wrong with IB today?

I have followed the same steps I did for the past 6 months. However, this time, with sufficient USD, I get the following error:

"Your order is not accepted. There is insufficient settled cash in your account to obtain the desired position."

Anyone getting the same error?
StarSeven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2018, 05:41 PM   #3625
Arch-Supremacy Member

I have followed the same steps I did for the past 6 months. However, this time, with sufficient USD, I get the following error:

"Your order is not accepted. There is insufficient settled cash in your account to obtain the desired position."

I think you need to look at the settled cash balance.

https://www.interactivebrokers.com/e...g/balances.htm

Convert it into a Reg T account. Almost similar to a cash account except that you don't need to worry about cash balances on an accurate basis.

You can buy and sell immediately without getting that funny error because it is a margin account.

Just do a funds transfer to zero your negative balance. You can do this any time.

Negative cash balance for a few days is not going to cost you a bomb depending on the amount.
Shiny Things likes this.
Old 15-02-2018, 09:49 AM   #3626

HK Pre-market

Hi All,

I always have problem getting shares during the pre-market opening. For example: Bid 6.15 Ask 6.18. I put my order @ 6.18 the night before, and during the pre-opening it can go up to 6.25 and higher.

Was wondering how come I can't get the order done even though I already place the order at the bid price....
Queen77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2018, 09:55 AM   #3627

I used to have the same problem. But its working fine now after I changed my cash account to margin account.
Old 15-02-2018, 05:23 PM   #3628
Master Member

Because it takes a fx conversion T+2 days to settle, but this coming Friday is a public holiday so your conversion only gets settled next Monday. This means you cannot buy any stock on Wednesday since T+2 lands on a Friday, where there isnít any usd available in your account yet.
Today(thurs) you should be able to buy now since T+2 lands on next Monday.
crystalnox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2018, 05:47 PM   #3629
Supremacy Member

Hi All,

I always have problem getting shares during the pre-market opening. For example: Bid 6.15 Ask 6.18. I put my order @ 6.18 the night before, and during the pre-opening it can go up to 6.25 and higher.

Was wondering how come I can't get the order done even though I already place the order at the bid price....
You should tick the option to trade outside regular trading hours if you want to buy immediately at the ask price, as opposed to waiting for the official US market open.
limster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2018, 06:05 PM   #3630

You should tick the option to trade outside regular trading hours if you want to buy immediately at the ask price, as opposed to waiting for the official US market open.

Currently i'm trading in HK market. If I want to participate in the pre-market, do I have to place 'Market' order, instead of limit? I checked with the customer service, they said only Market order have highest priority.... But Market order can be quite expensive sometimes...
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.