Medishield Comparison. Find out which is the cheapest

gnooliew

Reaction score
After the recent upward adjustments by Aviva and Prudential on their integrated shield plans, any news of changes by other insurers?

MOH website premiums doesn't seem to be updated yet. For hospitalisation plan for child, which insurer is better now, since Aviva is no longer worth it as it has dropped its free child cover to subsidised cover?

Shion

Senior Mentor
Reaction score
After the recent upward adjustments by Aviva and Prudential on their integrated shield plans, any news of changes by other insurers?

MOH website premiums doesn't seem to be updated yet. For hospitalisation plan for child, which insurer is better now, since Aviva is no longer worth it as it has dropped its free child cover to subsidised cover?

AIA also increase

Bigoya

Reaction score

AIA increasing on 25th Jan.

I think there is no such thing as better insurrerer, only what plans suits your needs that matter.
For kids, would you prefer private hosp services or does restructured A surfice?
Do you need riders that provides you daily payout if you are to be warded in a lower grade than your ISP covers?
How much yearly claimable limit do you think is enough? How much is more than enough? How much is too inadequate should critical health condition arises but is more than enough just to cover the minimal risk? Or would you prefer to leave the major risk being covered as much as possible?

All these questions are not determined by the insurer you choose or which charges the lowest premiums.

2 cts worth.

Starbelle

Reaction score
I think the agents also make a big difference, if it's someone whom is efficient and ever ready to help, it means a lot too. But definitely it is more to see which insurer has what you need most and what you are more concern with

Bigoya

Reaction score
I think the agents also make a big difference, if it's someone whom is efficient and ever ready to help, it means a lot too. But definitely it is more to see which insurer has what you need most and what you are more concern with

If you know the stuff, then yes, insurer is more important than agent. But again, in times of claims, a good agent will serve you better than a bad one or even compared to you handling the claims yourself.

Also, while you understand say, shield plans, very well, you may still need a good agent to advice you own other plans too. Otherwise you risk getting yourself a good plan while having loads of crap burdening you.

windwaver

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Any comments on AIA's latest medishield update?

AIA
- up 13mths pre/post (public hosp/selected partners) otherwise 100Days Pre/Post Hospitalisation
- Congenital Benefit for insured child: $20,000 ($5k/child)
- up to 2mil annual limit for public hosp/selected partners otherwise 600k

Key Benefits of AIA Max Essential:
- Home Nursing Benefit ($5000/yr)
- Covers Emergency Outpatient Treatment
- Post Hospitalisation Alternative Benefit (aka TCM) for Cancer/Stroke

Do take note premiums also increased.

blurpandasg2014

Reaction score
Any comments on AIA's latest medishield update?

AIA
- up 13mths pre/post (public hosp/selected partners) otherwise 100Days Pre/Post Hospitalisation
- Congenital Benefit for insured child: $20,000 ($5k/child)
- up to 2mil annual limit for public hosp/selected partners otherwise 600k

Key Benefits of AIA Max Essential:
- Home Nursing Benefit ($5000/yr)
- Covers Emergency Outpatient Treatment
- Post Hospitalisation Alternative Benefit (aka TCM) for Cancer/Stroke

Do take note premiums also increased.

Personally i feel too many restrictions. :s22:

buaytuckchek

Reaction score
Is Integrated Shield Plans a real need or a perceived need?

I tend to think it is a perceived need created by insurance companies to gain profiles. Do you really need to stay at private hospital, Class A or B1? From the way they package, it is very much like selling the idea that you need this luxury.

It is the same idea as whether you choose economy class vs business class vs first class for flights. You still get to your destination. Similarly, choice of staying in hostel, Airbnb, resort, budget hotel, or high class hotel is about the comfort level.

I don't have a IP at the moment and I have no intention of getting one (at least not one soon) because I wanted to build up my Medisave account as much as possible to the ceiling so that the excess can flow into the Special Account. That said, it does not mean that I'm not doing any precaution measures. I ensured that I have insurance to cover for accident, stay healthy, don't eat junk food, don't smoke, don't drink, exercise regularly, no genetic diseases running in my family line... Other than my wisdom tooth extraction, I've never been admitted to hospital. (Touch wood).

Key message: No point getting IP, and you still don't take care of your own health. Instead, think of how to reduce the probability of landing in hospital.

Soul77

Reaction score
I beg to differ. It's not like eating in restaurant vs coffee shop or airbnb vs hotel.

It's about life at stake here. What about if you or your loved ones diagnosed with some illness in which going to private hospital (or seeing a certain doctor) can make a difference?

Most of the cost (if not all) of the highest main plan can be covered by medisave fully when you're young. And the interest in my medisave alone is enough to cover the cost. Also, you won't be able to cash in the medisave money ever (you can only see it from heaven being withdrawn by your loved ones :D)

So, it's no-brainer to take those plan when your cpf can cover all the cost when you're young. Once you pass certain age threshold, then need to re-think again.

Cash Rider is another story though.

planktonfull

Reaction score
Personally I believe it's a need as waiting time for consultations at public hospital can be very long. I once had a friend who had to wait 3 weeks just for consultation for torn acl whereas a private hospital he only had to wait 1 day.

windwaver

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Is Integrated Shield Plans a real need or a perceived need?

I tend to think it is a perceived need created by insurance companies to gain profiles. Do you really need to stay at private hospital, Class A or B1? From the way they package, it is very much like selling the idea that you need this luxury.

It is the same idea as whether you choose economy class vs business class vs first class for flights. You still get to your destination. Similarly, choice of staying in hostel, Airbnb, resort, budget hotel, or high class hotel is about the comfort level.

I don't have a IP at the moment and I have no intention of getting one (at least not one soon) because I wanted to build up my Medisave account as much as possible to the ceiling so that the excess can flow into the Special Account. That said, it does not mean that I'm not doing any precaution measures. I ensured that I have insurance to cover for accident, stay healthy, don't eat junk food, don't smoke, don't drink, exercise regularly, no genetic diseases running in my family line... Other than my wisdom tooth extraction, I've never been admitted to hospital. (Touch wood).

Key message: No point getting IP, and you still don't take care of your own health. Instead, think of how to reduce the probability of landing in hospital.

I beg to differ. It's not like eating in restaurant vs coffee shop or airbnb vs hotel.

It's about life at stake here. What about if you or your loved ones diagnosed with some illness in which going to private hospital (or seeing a certain doctor) can make a difference?

Most of the cost (if not all) of the highest main plan can be covered by medisave fully when you're young. And the interest in my medisave alone is enough to cover the cost. Also, you won't be able to cash in the medisave money ever (you can only see it from heaven being withdrawn by your loved ones :D)

So, it's no-brainer to take those plan when your cpf can cover all the cost when you're young. Once you pass certain age threshold, then need to re-think again.

Cash Rider is another story though.

I think when it comes to insurance, the ONLY consideration is medishield, no need to buy anything else :s13:.

As for IP or not, I think most people that has good health will pay for the best with rider until about age 60 to 65 before downgrading.

Those that can afford B1 till old age is best but those who couldn't can just stick to basic medishield life.

At the end of the day, most doctors do not see a reason to extend life for old folks that are in pain. Life extension is only useful if one has quality of life.

dmleaf

Reaction score
Hi all

Updated the comparison with the latest premium.
Comparison is based on age25 till age75 for private plan.

Price comparison of IPs

yooA8wN.jpg

Correct as of 27/01/2017

You can download the excel with all the calculations at this link: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B5BvBkMhm4HDSzdaLVAzNVMxT0k

hi,thx for the updates.
Like to let you know that you missed out the changes of AIA premium for the graph.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.