HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Money Saving Techniques

Like Tree124Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-06-2007, 05:57 PM   #16

Cut down the indulgences in electronic products (eg. Handphones, LCD/Plasma TV, PDAs, Laptops, Fastest PCs in the market....) especially when u can't really catch up with technologies. I seen friends who spent thousands sing dollars on all these products during IT shows.

Another way of saving money is to look for jobs that are near the place u live so that u can really save on transportation. Thats what happen to me when i took up my first 2 jobs. Only 1 feeder bus which takes about 15-30 mins to get me there.
deathdealer likes this.
Maxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 06:55 PM   #17

Plan and budget. Find out how much disposable income you have left after deducting essential expenses. From there, decide how much you wish to save and the rest can go to 'entertainment' purposes. Be disciplined.

Also, every time you have the urge to buy anything, think again.. do you really need it? you will be surprised how much you can save from those impulse buys
optimus_prime888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 07:04 PM   #18

stay at home dun go out.
Old 12-06-2007, 07:10 PM   #19

stay at home dun go out.
hehe yeah, when i run out of 'entertainment' money and payday is still several days away LOL
optimus_prime888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 07:10 PM   #20
Master Member

A book in hand, is worth more than many PSP UMD disc in bag.
problem is, whenever i open book and read, i fall asleep!

DUN DRINK KOPI~~~~
1 day spend more than 5 bucks on nescafe.... very exp....!!!
shearmanlee likes this.
cwchong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 09:36 PM   #21
Master Member

1) bring water bottle whenever possible
2) eat self-prepared breakfast, dinner
3) dun upgrade IT stuff unless absolutely necessary (TV,PC,HP)

p.s. one will know the importance and way of saving/being thrifty if his family is a low income one...
netsuAi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 10:55 PM   #22

The maxim "prosper thy neighbour" is sweet and simple. However, its simplicity belies the fact that it contains the essence of wealth-creation and generating mortal happiness.
Yes, it's truly more blessed to give than to receive. That is something I learnt from my toastmastering journey. When one helps others become better speakers, one learns to be an even better speaker and communicator. :-)

Per chance you read Napolean Hill? Many of your thoughts are aligned to some of his ideas.

Not to be off-topic:

Saving money tip - pay $20+ GST for premium library membership, can borrow DVDs from National Library for 1 week free, up to 4 DVD sets e.g. Star trek, Friends, Frasier, Starship Troopers (animated series) etc.
panzergrenadier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 11:10 PM   #23
Master Member

If you don't have a girlfriend, don't get one. Haha!
get a gf that help u save money?
eD|t|0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 11:30 PM   #24

p.s. one will know the importance and way of saving/being thrifty if his family is a low income one...
Very true.. a lot of things suggested here actually seemed like luxury a few months back when I was jobless..
dan12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 11:31 PM   #25
Arch-Supremacy Member

get a gf that help u save money?
get 1 who pays for your meals, hahaha!
quekky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 11:50 PM   #26

get 1 who pays for your meals, hahaha!

Err.. there is the issue of male pride? ;-)

Go dutch is fairer lah...
Old 13-06-2007, 01:50 AM   #27

Good thread!
I will sticky this thread for the benefit of many others.

If there are degenerative comments, then...
Bee2kay likes this.
Lancelot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2007, 08:23 AM   #28

Yes, it's truly more blessed to give than to receive. That is something I learnt from my toastmastering journey. When one helps others become better speakers, one learns to be an even better speaker and communicator. :-)
Indeed! Unfortunately, our natural tendencies are towards individual satisfaction and gratification. We aim to satisfy self (ego) before others. The concepts of sincere sharing and of others before self are usually learned/acquired rather than in-born.

Per chance you read Napolean Hill? Many of your thoughts are aligned to some of his ideas.
Everything originates from a singularity and everything converges to the singularity.

Not to be off-topic:

Saving money tip - pay $20+ GST for premium library membership, can borrow DVDs from National Library for 1 week free, up to 4 DVD sets e.g. Star trek, Friends, Frasier, Starship Troopers (animated series) etc.
Here is mine:

Drink at least eight glasses of water a day. Cut down on sugary and carbonated soft drinks. It's a short-term investment of discipline and willpower for long-term health and financial benefits.
mecinerada likes this.
dadadee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2007, 10:58 AM   #29

Indeed! Unfortunately, our natural tendencies are towards individual satisfaction and gratification. We aim to satisfy self (ego) before others. The concepts of sincere sharing and of others before self are usually learned/acquired rather than in-born.

Everything originates from a singularity and everything converges to the singularity.

Here is mine:

Drink at least eight glasses of water a day. Cut down on sugary and carbonated soft drinks. It's a short-term investment of discipline and willpower for long-term health and financial benefits.
Dear dadadee

You are indeed the master of chimology. Singularity concept reminds me of "Star Trek The Next Generation".. I like the series because they sometimes debate very philosophical issues in the series. :-)

Human beings are born self-interested. To deny that is to deny our humanity. But it can be overcome if one has built up abundance in one's life and share out that abundance!

Yes, drinking water is also very slimming for those ladies out there. ;-) Sweet carbonated drinks are extremely fattening and even those "zero calories" have no nutritional value and costs you money!

#Money Tip for this Post:

Stop your email subscription to Singnet/Starhub/Pacific if you already have broadband because with broadband, you can tap on yahoo email, hotmail, google mail FREE.

Even for NSmen, you can get free email @ns.sg as it is YOUR ENTITLEMENT AS AN NSMAN!

Be well and prosper!
Old 13-06-2007, 11:38 AM   #30

You are indeed the master of chimology. Singularity concept reminds me of "Star Trek The Next Generation".. I like the series because they sometimes debate very philosophical issues in the series. :-)
The idea of singularity exists in different classes of philosophies, albeit it may be named differently. The Chinese have this: "无极生太极,太极生两仪,两仪生四象,四象生八卦". Though this transcends the idea of Singularity, the latter is encompassed in the former. If one reflects on this concept, it is possible to see how everything is connected to everything else in this universe, whether it is tangible or intangible, past, present or future.

Human beings are born self-interested. To deny that is to deny our humanity. But it can be overcome if one has built up abundance in one's life and share out that abundance!
Yes but one does not need to wait for abundance of wealth before he or she truly understands the beauty of distribution and the virtuous cycle of giving and sharing. What is abundance? A million? Two million? Or fifty billion?

#Money Tip for this Post:

Stop your email subscription to Singnet/Starhub/Pacific if you already have broadband because with broadband, you can tap on yahoo email, hotmail, google mail FREE.

Even for NSmen, you can get free email @ns.sg as it is YOUR ENTITLEMENT AS AN NSMAN!

Be well and prosper!
Here's mine:

Exercise discipline in maintaining an Excel worksheet containing your historical and forecasted income, expenditure and net balances (cash, bank, assets, etc). This worksheet helps you keep track of and plan where your financial situation is concerned. Spend just 10 minutes a day to update your worksheet (daily spending) and your financial health will drastically improve!
dadadee is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.