HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Money Saving Techniques

Like Tree127Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 16-06-2007, 09:38 PM   #46

Eat 2 meals a day. Possible at all. Morning try to eat full. Afternoon moderate meal. Dinner eat loti or any fruit snack in very small quantity. Let me tell you. sure save $
OldGeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2007, 08:34 AM   #47

I would say, eat nutritious meals. Quality and not quantity is important for health reasons.

I eat quaker oats (koksong with only hot water and NO milk or sugar) Mondays to Fridays for breakfast. Cheap and nutritious.

Lunch is normal economical rice or sometimes noodles. Dinner either I cook a simple dish of noodle/beehoon with 1 stir-fry veggie/tofu/meat dish or steamed fish. Healthier although may be more expensive than the $2.50/$3.00 economical rice but more nutritious.
panzergrenadier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2007, 12:16 PM   #48
Supremacy Member

Eat 2 meals a day. Possible at all. Morning try to eat full. Afternoon moderate meal. Dinner eat loti or any fruit snack in very small quantity. Let me tell you. sure save $

Another way to save is to earn more money. Use your spare time to make money. That will also leave you less time for spending money. But dont end up spending on medical bills
ycycyc likes this.
henrylbh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2007, 12:45 PM   #49

Hahah.. Agree with Henry.

I realised that now that I blog more conscientiously, I make more use of my PC and broadband which I already pay so that cuts down on movies, going out for meals etc... Also today weather is so cooling...stay at home with a nice cup of 3-in-1 coffee is sweet!

Be well and prosper.

#Money Saving Tip#
Treat yourself to that occasional starbucks/coffee bean but buy the 3-in-1 and drink that at home to satisfy your caffeine shot. ;-)
Old 17-06-2007, 02:04 PM   #50

Quality of meals is very important to one's health, so ensure that one eats regularly & nutritiously. Saving $ on meals by curbing on unhealthy snacks is another way.
Lancelot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2007, 12:59 PM   #51

Question:
why do u need to save for retirement?
- old age need to spend more on health care
- old age no jobs so no income

Then the solution is to emigrate to Australia or welfare countries? Need to pay around 30% to 45% tax while you're working, but u don't have to worry about the above 2 points, and below ones:

- no money for studying; Australia govt allows each individual to own up to $50k of education loan - repay when u r working
- if fired from job, how to survive? The govt will lend u a helping hand by providing handouts til u find a job.
- sick how? There's a cap to how much u will spend on health, above that govt pays/subsidise.

Perks:
- working in a NTUC-like enviorment earns about A$15 - A$35; depends on shift and age.

How to emmigrate? Booklet 6 of http://www.immi.gov.au
s050399b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2007, 01:52 AM   #52

A money saving guide that I have read in another forum many years back and have been using most of tips. I have a cash saving of 450K and still <40 years old.

1. spend more time reading and exercising (jogging, cycling--free anyway) to keep fit to avoid unnecessary illness instead of getting involved in bad activities like drinking or chioning.

2.Avoid any temptation to spend-avoid the shopping centres. Each time, prepare a grocery list and just go to the nearest provision shop and get them... the longer you linger... the more itchy to spend.

3. Recycle/reuse waste water. When taking shower or bath daily, stand inside big bucket and collect bath water running down the body inside bucket. Collect all washing machine rinse water. Use them to flush toilet or wash floor. Enough to last many toilet flush. Save water.

4. When washing hands, use water from container instead of water flowing from tap.

5. Place 1 litre bottle inside toilet cistern to limit water flushing quantity.

6. Let your tap drip overnight into a pail... free water... the meter can't detect small movements... good for mopping floor.

7. Learn to fish. I spend my free time fishing ..The amount of fish I catch every month is enough to last me for a while ..Provide good protein and they are free!

8. Plant some of own veggie. I live near Malaysian Railway track..The land along it is unused and I cleared some plot to plant my veggie.I tried to plant those that grow easy...like sweet potato or gourd-type veggie

9. Buy good secondhand electrical good when possible. Save money.

10. Empty refrigerator and buy smaller fridge as much as possible. Eat 2 meals a day and stay thin. Buy only when needed, do not overload fridge.

11. Short distance travel use bicycle. Stop using bus/mrt or taxi. Save travel expense.

12. Use company toilet to bath or s#$% everyday. Save home water usage.

13. Charge all your batteries in the office (save elec bills)

14. Surf in the office... or get the cheapest rates

15. When purchasing computer. Don't buy brand new. Buy secondhand, it is just as good if for normal internet surfing purpose.

16. Cook yourself and Bring own lunch to work...

17. DON'T buy any drinks, even softdrinks cos' they're the most unworthy ones... bring a sports water bottle... Keep one in backpack ... one day at least save $2-$3 on drinks

18. Terminate your Handphone line. Get a pager and a phone card, it is cheaper. It may be inconvenient but you are still contactable.

19. Stop using aircon. Buy electrical fans. Save electricity.

20. Install window film or tinted glass at home to keep heat away from home. Keep house cool and bring down air-con or fan electrical bill.

21. Don't buy newspaper..Read from CC or library.

22. Wear your cloth and shoe until there is a hole before buying a new one.
clockwerkart likes this.
homer123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2007, 07:58 AM   #53

Dear Homer123

Congrats on your savings! :-)

The list is quite old... I am not sure if anyone can survive on pagers now that handphones subscriptions can be quite cheap if you use free incoming or refuse to call people on your mobile! ;-)

I think the exercise tips are really good. Exercise is a healthy activity and if carried out as a pastime, reduces time and money spending on going clubbing/movies etc that costs money.

Be well and prosper.

#Money Saving Tip#
If you have spare cash balances, don't leave them in local banks earning 0.5% per annum, plough them into treasury bills at least for about 2% interest currently. Or at least use Fairprice plus savings at 1% or Maybank iSavvy at 1.68% (balances > $5,000).
Old 21-06-2007, 12:44 PM   #54
Banned

dont get marrried.
money321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2007, 01:30 PM   #55

All the money savings tips are great but must strike a balance.

Most importanting - Live a happy life. You dont know what will happen tomorrow.
Indulge in things that makes you happy yet have disciplined savings is the best.

Have fun saving money. I am still trying to master the art of saving money. Just fell in love with at $4.5k watch. Nabei.
mizarahi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2007, 02:13 PM   #56
D69

I dun own a car, i have a flat im married and no kids and pets. I run regularly, stopped playing WoW and dun bet on soccer or gamble. Only money drainer is F&B for the once a while makan, else its family related matters like bdae or treat parents to dinner and holidays.
D69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2007, 02:17 PM   #57
D69

i only have one credit card citibank dividend and i pay watever i spend on every month and earn dividend somemore
D69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2007, 03:44 PM   #58
Arch-Supremacy Member

Great thread and great tips!
Old 21-06-2007, 08:16 PM   #59

I don't feel this is the wisest way to save money. For eg, why don't you want a 5% cash rebate when shopping in Robinsons group of companies using the Robinsons Card vs the pathetic 0.5% rebate offered by Citibank Dividend Card?

Or the 2% rebate when buying things at Watsons or 5% rebate at Carrefour when using the POSB Everyday card?
i only have one credit card citibank dividend and i pay watever i spend on every month and earn dividend somemore
anthony.phua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2007, 12:31 AM   #60

hsbc credit cards rewards are better.
luoyuen is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.