HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Money Saving Techniques

Like Tree127Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 22-06-2007, 11:50 AM   #61

#Money Saving Tip#

Eat more fruits. As part of your healthy diet, do take heed of the Health Promotion's Board 2+2 campaign, i.e. eat two portions of fruits and vegetables twice a day.

If you do your own cooking, you will realise that vegetables are relatively cheap as compared to meat. So buy and cook more vegetables.

For lunch, instead of eating full with your main meal, finish off with a fruit, you won't feel so hungry after the fruit. :-)
panzergrenadier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2007, 09:34 AM   #62

*Money-saving Tip*

Set your air-con thermostat temperature to the highest possible. Every 1 degree celsius above room temperature increases the electricity consumption by 5 to 10%. If it is unnecessarily cold (e.g. your teeth are chattering or you feel your feet/palms are cold to touch), you are wasting electricity.
dadadee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2007, 11:54 AM   #63

i find tat using e fan n air-con is a good combination....

one cools e air (not too cold of course, otherwise no savings), then fan to move e cool air around
ah_cheng1882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2007, 08:33 PM   #64

#Money Saving Tip#
Take care of your health... Today am on MC for food poisoning, $24 poorer from seeing the doctor.

Health=Wealth!
Old 26-06-2007, 09:49 PM   #65

My personal Money-Saving Techniques

(1) Maintain healthy lifestyle by exercising regularly and eat more fruits and veggies.
(2) Keep a record (simple P/L statement & cash flow) of what you have spent daily in a spreadsheet and at the end of the month, you will know whether you have a profit/surplus or loss/deficit. Through this simple method, you can know what you have spent on and determine what type of expenditure can be avoided.
(3) Buy what you really need and not because it's on sale.
(4) Go for cheaper alternatives (eg: taking public transport vs owning a car; eating at hawker centres vs restaurants; aircon vs fan, HDB vs private housings; 3-room HDB vs 5- room HDB).
(5) Switch off electrical appliances (including the switch) if you don't need them. Putting them on standby mode consume electricity.
(6) Insure yourself with basic insurance which covers major illnesses and hospitalisation.
(7) Put your $ in savings a/c that gives better interest (like Maybank's iSAVvy or SCB's e$aver). If your risk level is higher, use some of the savings to invest in bonds or treasury bills which give better returns than banks.
lyknah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 09:27 PM   #66

anyone knows about investment/ insurance plan and give advice on that cos i think they give better returns than deposting in banks
midgard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 02:45 AM   #67

i find tat using e fan n air-con is a good combination....

one cools e air (not too cold of course, otherwise no savings), then fan to move e cool air around
I do that too. Usually switch on the air-con @ around 23 to 25 C(depending on the time of day). Daytime usually requires 23C & night time 25C. Then I'll switch on the ceiling fan to circulate the cool air around the room.

I don't know if it saves $ but it does feel more airy & cooler
Lancelot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 11:12 AM   #68

turn on airocn 25c @ swing mode
turn on aircon 25c @ fix mode + fan

which 1 better?
coffeeSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 12:48 PM   #69

of course, if u can cope with AC at 25 degrees w/o fan, its more economical
ah_cheng1882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 03:33 PM   #70
Master Member

1) Take public transport, take taxi claim frm company
2)Hitch-hike. But it's quite difficult here compared to western countries
3) No lavish dining. At coffeeshops only, occasionally at food court. I don't order drinks, and i drink water frm soup if provided or tap water.
4)Use and buy second hand gds
regardng no.2 haha i was at coffeeshop last night and thinking y hitchhiking is "ok" in oter countries.. i think it relates alot to culture issue. in western countries, the states r far frm each other, and ppl r generally more open and willing to help. so along the highway, ppl would want to help if theres a hitchhiker on e road, esp going to same state destination.

while you look at sg, hitchhike? no money take bus la!
(the irony is while we are a smaller country, ppl prety much remain to themselves & would rather give a few coins than offer a ride..)

3) ah... health warning - some coffeeshop e tapwater can be quite unpure.. not that you would be able to see frm naked eye.. it takes a filter. esp those near industry area..

hm.... (at he risk of stating an obvious again..)
4)Use and buy second hand gds that you really need
Old 12-07-2007, 03:54 PM   #71

turn on airocn 25c @ swing mode
turn on aircon 25c @ fix mode + fan

which 1 better?
Hot air rises and cool air sinks. Which mode is better really depends on the size and layout of your room. As the room temperature sensor is in the blower unit, the whole idea is to cool the room as fast as possible through conduction and convection in order to have the thermostat cut-out and save electricity.
Old 12-07-2007, 03:57 PM   #72

My personal Money-Saving Techniques
(5) Switch off electrical appliances (including the switch) if you don't need them. Putting them on standby mode consume electricity.
Just to expand on this point. Researchers have termed these vampires.

See here:

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0926065912.htm
Old 12-07-2007, 04:03 PM   #73

Hot air rises and cool air sinks. Which mode is better really depends on the size and layout of your room. As the room temperature sensor is in the blower unit, the whole idea is to cool the room as fast as possible through conduction and convection in order to have the thermostat cut-out and save electricity.
Nowadays the weather quite variable. One day very hot with some breeze, another day humid with rain. So end up I just use my fan or open window. No aircon for last 2 months liao... heat tolerance building up.
Old 13-07-2007, 11:08 PM   #74
High Supremacy Member

- avoid any singaporepools product. it's money sucker #1.
- watch movie on weekdays.
widman01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 09:47 AM   #75

#Money Savers

1) Switch to low cost banking accounts e.g. Fairprice plus / Maybank iSavvy / Stanchart eSaver that have no mthly fees

2) Drink more H2O

3) Exercise to keep healthy

4) Sleep early and wake up early
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.